Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #11

Re: Help identifying 4WD conversion

The seller just took a look and said leaf springs on the front, no coils....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #12

Salem-Kroger (and likely other commercial converters) are considered "vehicle manufacturers."

Accordingly, Salem-Kroger rivetted the required FMVSS label onto the driver's door step riser showing the name of the manufacturer, manufacturer's address and telephone number and year of manufacturer.

If your van was commercially converted there should be a FMVSS label somewhere readily visible to the seller.

My van was converted in 2007 by Salem-Kroger. I had the option of going with their new coil set up or their tried and true leaf spring set up. (I chose the coils, not sure I would do so again. I would check out UJoint's leaf set up first). Point is, my guess is that your van could have been a leaf spring conversion by Salem-Kroger. However, the transfer case shift knob boot is not the same as mine. And I really want to see a picture of the transfer case to see if it is a BW1356 or NV271.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #13

OK, mystery solved.....thanks E350.

The sticker in the door jamb says 4WD by Advanced Salt Lake City, converted in 2010....
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
OK, mystery solved.....thanks E350.

The sticker in the door jamb says 4WD by Advanced Salt Lake City, converted in 2010....
Others here had decent experience with Advanced. Me not so much.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #15

As someone mentioned Advanced might have used a Dana 44 instead of the more common and stonger Dana 60. I don't know enough to comment on if the Dana 44 is enough for these heavy vans. Just be advised.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
As someone mentioned Advanced might have used a Dana 44 instead of the more common and stonger Dana 60. I don't know enough to comment on if the Dana 44 is enough for these heavy vans. Just be advised.
Eric
Calling BajaSportsMobile . . .

He uses a Dana 44 with super modified Twin Traction Beams on his Sportsmobile.

My guess is that with the relatively low weight of the 5.4L gasoline engine that a Dana 44 (if it does have one) would be fine with a leaf sprung front axle. In fact the rig may feel rather light and responsive compared to say a SMB with a 7.3L engine and a coil sprung front axle.

But let's see what Baja has to say . . .

Edit: I mistakenly typed "40" instead of "44" in the initial unedited post. The 40 was I believe primarily an old school jeep differential which is rarely seen and I have never seen put on a SMB.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17

What sort of stuff should I be looking for if I make the journey to check this out?

Crappy welds, etc?

I've read most of the negative (and one or two positive) posts on Advanced.

I know very little about 4WD components, but I can learn fast.......What's the easiest way to determine if the axle is a Dana 40/44/60?
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #18

On the Dana 44 differential TTB in my Bronco it clearly says "44" embossed in the metal (on the bottom of the differential between differential and transfer case). (My van has a Dana 60 straight axle.)

Go here and read about your engine:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/

I am not sure that I would want an E350 with a 5.4L. My 1/2 ton Bronco is a 5.8L and I wouldn't want to go smaller. But there are those on the SportsMobileForum.com that own or have owned 1 ton E350's with 5.4L engines. I would ask them. And remember mpg is not based on engine size (otherwise we would all be running 1L engines) it is based on the mass you need to push - pure and simple. If you are pushing 9,000 lbs. up a hill it will take approximately the same amount of energy (i.e., gasoline) whether the engine is a 5.4L or a 5.8L or a V-10.* The exception is a vehicle with alot of forward gears to limit rpms to the precise number necessary to sustain movement up that hill. (I lied, mpg actually equals rpm, but nevermind for this example.) That is why the new Jeep Cherokee comes with 9 gears and the Dodge Sprinter has more forward gears than an E350. *An economics example is Milton Freidman who stated that "The real rate of taxation is equal to government spending.")

Here's a list of things re choosing a 4x4 van from the full size van subforum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/searc ... d=10864249

Read the entire thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10000 ... van-2.html

and then you might want to pm this jcee guy:

jcee
Senior User
2000 Ford E-Series Van

Hey, hold out for the 4x4. I have a 2000 Ford Quigley, 3/4 ton, 5.4 triton and I'll tell you what. Once you have a 4x4 van there's is no comparison. I'm in N/W Pennsylvania, right on Lake Erie and the snow and ice here can be unbelievable. The 4x4 van handles it with ease. Granted, you're hauling around some hefty extra weight with the solid axle front, transfer case and bracketry, and the mileage ain't the greatest but it's worth it in capability. You can do all you want with a 2wd to try to get you in there and back out but in the long run the 4x4 van beats all. I run highway speeds on 35's and have no problems. On the Quigley everything is Ford original except for the Quigley bracketry and their technical and support department will provide everything you need. Whenever you need it. "IF" you need it.

Check Quigleys site, Ebay and just google 4x4 van and go from there. You won't regret it.

As far as the 4x4 goes, in my experience, you can tell alot about it by locking the hubs, putting the transfer case in 4x4 and listening to how things lock up (or don't) driving it 6 feet and then putting it in reverse and driving it back 6 feet. Then taking the transfer case out of 4x4, then unlocking the hubs. Did the hubs lock and unlock easily? What did you hear driving? After being taken out of 4x4, does the front drive line still spin when the vehicles moves forward or back? If not, one or more of the hubs is not disengaging.

I like UJoint's motto: "Do it nice or do it twice."

I am redoing mine because it was not initially done "nice" in my opinion.

The Borg Warner BW1356 transfer case has a known leakage problem out the tail piece. That will need to be fixed if you are leaking fluids. In fact it would be good to check what level the fluid is. Google it.

My BW1356 leaked so much and I didn't stay on top of checking it that even after a rebuild it slips out of gear - that means out of gear, freewheeling - while going downhill when I take my foot off the gas. Not good. Because to put the transfer case back into gear you have to be stopped.

The BW1356 transfer case on my current 1995 Bronco works flawlessly and my bought new previous 1993 Bronco was working flawlessly when I sold it at about 200k.

But in a diesel 7.3L van, in my personal opinion, the BW1356 transfer case is a little too weak. Others with more knowledge may disagree. In your case, for a 5.4L gasser, it is probably fine. I hope UJoint or Baja or others will chime in here.

Probably the most important thing to ask the owner, who obviously knows the faults of the vehicle more than you could ever tell in an hour of checking, is "why are you selling it?" "What are its problems?" Listen carefully, because most people will tell you, but the will not place the emphasis where it should be. So, ask about each problem and ask for the seller to demonstrate the problem for you.

Because I really don't know much, and my personal opinions are generally different than most peoples', take my advice with a big grain of salt.

I will tell you this. Your van was not made as a 4x4. So you will have to treat it delicately. And you must get to know it and its peculiarities. It did not have the millions of design dollars put into the 4x4 drive train like the F-series trucks did.

That said, there are few more satisfying vehicles than a SMB van or SMB-like van with 4x4.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #19

"I will tell you this. Your van was not made as a 4x4. So you will have to treat it delicately."

I beg to differ. Once our Advanced conversion was brought up to snuff, we beat on it with out mercy in Baja, and it's ready to do it again. It was a ton of fun too. Buy it, and then bring it to BajaSportmobile for an upgrade......Arctic Traveller
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #20

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Calling BajaSportsMobile . . .

He uses a Dana 44 with super modified Twin Traction Beams on his Sportsmobile.[/i]
We actually use a Dana 50 Twin-Traction Beam front axle assembly. The Dana 50 uses the same lock hubs, spindles, wheel bearings, u-joints and axle size as a traditional Dana 60.

The hubs in the picture appear to be Dana 44 size which are smaller then the 50/60 hub. The Dana 44 also uses smaller bearings and u-joints. Dana 44's have been factory installed in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks by both Ford and Chevy. While not as "heavy duty" as a 50/60 they will be just fine under the van.

The 5.4 is also a great engine with good performance and economy. Unless I was planning on doing a lot of heavy towing, I would be comfortable with a 5.4.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote