Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
There seems to be new trend but I don't think the ROI on adding 4x4 is similar to ROI of adding say a new kitchen on a house you want to sell.
It depends on the van.. but on a '97 5.4, the return won't be there financially.

That said, not everything is about money!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

A heavy rig like that will have issues at Pismo even aired down unless you are constantly keeping plenty of momentum in 2wd. I was basically in the same boat as you a year ago. I had a Camburg lifted van but wanted to be a little more secure when heading out the beach or the snow so I got the Agile conversion. Still have yet to make my way to Baja, but at least I'm equipped for it when I can actually go.

If that van is something you will hold on to for at least a few years, I think the 4x4 conversion will be worth it. If its something you're trying to flip, you wont make any more than what you would by selling it as is. The only downside to getting the conversion done on a lifted 2wd van is that the reveal is anti-climactic since it will pretty much look the same.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
It depends on the van.. but on a '97 5.4, the return won't be there financially.
If i get it converted and end up selling it in about 5 years/at 150k miles, do you think 30-35k would be an unreasonable asking price. I am not looking to make money, or even get ALL my money out of it. I just don't want to LOSE a bunch of money on a toy.
MRR918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRR918 View Post
If i get it converted and end up selling it in about 5 years/at 150k miles, do you think 30-35k would be an unreasonable asking price. I am not looking to make money, or even get ALL my money out of it. I just don't want to LOSE a bunch of money on a toy.

There's really no way to tell the market value in 5 years. You can guess but that's it... Just a guess. Personally I'd do what RallyPanAm suggested & do an air locker & winch. Use it & if it doesn't meet you needs then sell it & gets 4x4 SMB.

If you use your van a lot then doing a DIY 4x4 conversion will pay for its self over 5 years in value to you as a user.

My personal opinion on if you rig will be worth 30-35 in 5 years. No you'll be able to get a rig 5-10 years newer for that price in 5 years time. Like I said before this is just a guess.

Your rig is really nice by the way [emoji106][emoji108][emoji604][emoji100]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Lol [emoji23]

In 5 years the economy might tank and gas prices might be at $4 /gallon.

You took a risk buying a 97 Sportsmobile. Accept that and enjoy it. It is a love/hate relationship and at the end of the day it is a unique Class B RV with cool stuff that occasionally breaks attached to it.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #16

Yes- ENJOY! I'm in agreement- you've got a nice rig, never mind 'with cool stuff that occasionally breaks attached to it'... We're all in that boat together :-)
Except me maybe. I've been removing parts of mine chasing some leaks so I can start the ding dang interior build!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
I don't think that's unreasonable, but you never know with these vans. Prices do fluctuate, and the older ones aren't getting any newer...
Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
I want to be able to get it through the sand in Baja, CA desert, Pismo beach and through the snow in the mountains.
I think you might be surprised how well a locker and some high flotation tires would do for you. That's never going to be a light rig so I'm not sure lack of a driven front axle is really that limiting.

I drove through the Rockies in January with my rear-wheel drive open diff van pulling a 7000 pound trailer. One wheel drive on snowy mountain roads pulling a trailer makes for a seriously white-knuckled experience.

I've since done the UJOR conversion, but haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #19

Garage
1. You are not going to make money on the van if you do a 4x4 conversion, drive it for 5 years/to 150k miles, and then sell it. I think most folks would agree that this is a near certainty. Call it 95% certain.

2. With a 95% certainty, you will lose money on the endeavor. The only question is how much. That issue depends on numerous factors, including:

a) The national and world economic situation over the course of the next five years. Especially with all of the political changes taking place across the world at this time, including a new and very different president in the US, Brexit, and instability in the Middle East and the former Soviet republics, I don't know any way to predict where the economy will be in five years. If you do, let me know.

b) The price of gasoline in five years. See above. Saudi Arabia is starting to invest heavily in solar energy. The town of Georgetown, TX, is now fully powered by wind and solar. The inventor of the lithium battery has just come out with a solid state design, that if it proves viable, could create serious energy industry upheaval. What is going to happen with fossil fuels in the next five years? Good question. I wish I knew.

c) RV industry trends in the US. See #a. Right now, vans are on the ascendancy, and demand significantly exceeds supply. SMB's backlog is more than a year for rigs that cost north of $130,000. If that trend continues, it will bolster the price of clean, well-maintained used rigs. If the bottom drops out of the RV market, as it did in 2005, it could easily wipe $10,000 or more of value from all of our rigs.

Ya play yer cards, ya takes yer chances. I believe the best answer remains that there is significant financial risk associated with owning an expensive asset that deteriorates over time. If you want a low-risk investment, this probably is not your most prudent choice.

If:
a) you want a van;
b) you are willing to take the risk that you might or might not get your money out of it;
c) the rig you currently have is the one you want to drive for the next five years;

Then:
Drop the bucks into the conversion, enjoy the hell out of it for five years, and accept what happens after that.

Otherwise:
Don't do it.

My two cents. YMMV. Good luck!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
My two cents.
That seem more like 60 or 80 cents.

Tags