Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

HELP! Rear Axle Questions - '01 Quigley

Hello all -

I've searched and searched to no avail (and have contacted Agile - Quigley next) but figured I should reach out to the experts on this forum.

Here's the backstory:

I ordered an RIP kit from Agile for my 2001 E-350 Cargo Van 4x4 (Quigley conversion). The photos I sent to Agile were of the original drivetrain/suspension parts.

After ordering the RIP kit, I learned my rear differential had gone bad - there was a sort of grinding/rubbing noise that would occur at low speeds and particularly turning. I assumed it was the front end, but my mechanic said he had isolated it to the rear diff and it needed to be replaced - so I said "go ahead, replace it."

I probably should have thought through this more before telling him to replace it. He went ahead and sourced a rear axle with the same gearing (4.10) for my van, and installed it. The next day, my RIP kit showed up.

My mechanic told me the brackets on the axles, that the shocks bolt to, are different. This concerns me. The brackets on the "original" axle are at a different angle, look to be of a thicker gauge material and almost appear to be custom welded on to the axle. The brackets on the "new" axle (sourced from god knows what type of Econoline... all I know is the gearing is the same) look much more "stock," do not have the same angle and appear to be a thinner gauge material.

I do not want to install the RIP kit without knowing the potential impacts or issues related to this newly installed rear axle. I want to do this right. I'm in the midst of a DIY buildout (I promise to update my build thread!!) and this van is my baby - I intend to love her dearly for as long as I can, and do not want to take any shortcuts or subject it to poor/improper workmanship.

If any of you could provide some insight here, it would be very greatly appreciated. I'm eager to get the rig back on the road, but not if that means cutting corners.

Thanks so much in advance.

Photos below for reference (the installed axle is the "new" one and the removed axle, on the ground, is the one that came off my Quigley).
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   3.jpg   2.jpg  

Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

My main concern is that the axle that was installed is either not heavy-duty enough or came off some other type of Ford Econoline (like an E-150, or a passenger van, or something). I'm also wondering if Quigley would've modified the brackets during the conversion process? I can't find any mention of this anywhere and will contact Quigley with my VIN asap... but was hoping anyone could shine some light on this.

If all else fails, I guess I could buy a Dana rear axle and "restart" this process. But that sounds expen$ive!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #3

And here are the photos, within the body of the post - for clarity.

Original Axle:

"New" rear axle - why is the bracket different?? What did I do wrong??

Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

I really hope you had a great reason to swap the whole axle rather than just replace the internals.

anyway, share those photos with Agile and they will modify their RIP to meet your needs. They did that for my 1996. They have seen it all at this point.

BTW, you are probably overthinking it on the thickness of the brackets. just saying...
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

I have no good reason laziness on my part and putting too much faith in my mechanic, coupled with being out of the country at the time this work was taking place.

Since the rear axle is still in his shop - I suppose I could "go back" to it and swap the internals.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I...anyway, share those photos with Agile and they will modify their RIP to meet your needs. They did that for my 1996. They have seen it all at this point....
Exactly. Go to the source.

Herb
Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

That's exactly what I did... and Agile saved the day!!! Surprise? No - this is why these guys have such great reviews and customer feedback.

Turns out that Quigley DID modify the brackets because they needed to re-use the stock Ford shocks as part of their agreement. So the brackets I have are original, and Agile is going to send me longer shocks that work with the rear axle I installed.

The mini freak out was unwarranted, and as I continue to learn as I take on more projects of a mechanical nature - most everything is fixable, either with simple solutions or a little creativity. Now I need to learn to not overreact.

Thanks for your input Bronco and simple, much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #8

When dealing with Agile, no need to freak out. When dealing with other companies, it may warrant a freak out.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #9

I have my fingers crossed that your mechanic took the opportunity to make sure he installed a full floater rear axle. It would be sad if he installed a semi floater and even sadder if you had a full floater and it was replaced with a semi floater.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #10

Garage
^^^ those would be my main concerns as well.

Seems like it would be a lot easier like simplesez said to just replace the diff vs the entire axle. I’d be inquiring as to why the mechanic choose that route.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote