Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I picked up my vehicle at Sportsmobile North in early December 2018. It is a Sprinter 4x4 2500 high top with the 144" wheelbase. Sportsmobile weighed my vehicle for me after they did the RV conversion. The unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) was 7,335 lbs after the conversion.

They calculated the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) by subtracting out the weight for freshwater, and occupants. According to them, I have a CCC of 757 lbs.
Hmm, not much room to add a lot of gear, show you need to. I guess that's why some are electing to get tthe 3500 Series.

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I picked up my vehicle at Sportsmobile North in early December 2018. It is a Sprinter 4x4 2500 high top with the 144" wheelbase. Sportsmobile weighed my vehicle for me after they did the RV conversion. The unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) was 7,335 lbs after the conversion.

They calculated the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) by subtracting out the weight for freshwater, and occupants. According to them, I have a CCC of 757 lbs.

Next time we have the van fully laden with water, clothing, food and other supplies that we typically carry, I want to have it weighed again to see how close were are to the GVWR.
Seems like a waiste of money since you already have the math done plus even if your over a little or a lot over or need to pull a trailer for certain trips just slow down,leave enough space for braking,don’t use a/c on long steep grades when it’s hot,use the lower gears when appropriate etc you’ll be fine
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:24 AM   #43

Weight is your enemy! [like in real life]

Weight will kill your milage, results in more ware of all parts from engine, to tranny, to suspension to tires. Makes the handle of the car worse.

My E350 4x4 Diesel with high roof was weighted when I got it. > 3400 kg. Not much in it with some tools. It is an ex ambulance.

My goal is to get in to 3250 kg - NOT getting a higher weight.
> so I stripped all of the car (some 20 x 20 mm steel framing for ex ambo stuff)
> 12 mm wooden floor into 9mm

no spare

etc
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
Hmm, not much room to add a lot of gear, show you need to. I guess that's why some are electing to get tthe 3500 Series.
I think I’d be hard pressed to fill the van with 750 lbs of stuff for most normal load outs we’ll use. Where I may come close is if I start adding extras to the van like an Aluminess rear bumper with spare tire carrier and fuel box. I’m considering that before I take the van to Alaska and run the highway north to Barrow; best to carry a second spare and fuel due to the remoteness of the area.

Before then I’ll probably have swapped out my three AGM batteries for lithium so I’ll save a good bit of weight there. Got some time for that as I have a couple of years before my wife retires and we have the time for such a long trip.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Seems like a waiste of money since you already have the math done plus even if your over a little or a lot over or need to pull a trailer for certain trips just slow down,leave enough space for braking,don’t use a/c on long steep grades when it’s hot,use the lower gears when appropriate etc you’ll be fine
It is likely true that I'd be ok never weighing my van as I am unlikely to load it up much and go over the 750 lbs of stuff I have for my calculated cargo capacity. However, it doesn't cost much to have your vehicle weighed and I'm rather curious as to how much of my total weight is on the front axle and how much on the rear axle.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by derJack View Post
Weight is your enemy! [like in real life]

Weight will kill your milage, results in more ware of all parts from engine, to tranny, to suspension to tires. Makes the handle of the car worse.

My E350 4x4 Diesel with high roof was weighted when I got it. > 3400 kg. Not much in it with some tools. It is an ex ambulance.

My goal is to get in to 3250 kg - NOT getting a higher weight.
> so I stripped all of the car (some 20 x 20 mm steel framing for ex ambo stuff)
> 12 mm wooden floor into 9mm

no spare

etc
Yes, my goal is NOT to load up my vehicle simply because I haven't reached the GVWR. I think having 750 lbs of cargo capacity will be more than sufficient unless I have a reason to haul a second spare or extra fuel for travel to more remote areas.

I was careful not to request huge fresh water storage tanks or large capacity grey water tanks. Our 16 gallon freshwater tank will be fine for most of our trips.

The one area where we splurged with weight was the three AGM batteries for 300 AH capacity. A set of lithium batteries would have less mass, but they would take a rather large bite out of my wallet. My plan is to replace the AGMs with lithium once the AGM have reached the end of their useful life. By then lithium batteries should be even less expensive.

I admire your dedication to saving weight, but I don't think I'd have the guts to run my van without a spare tire. One highway service call for a blown tire would cost far more than your fuel savings in not carrying a spare. I plan to take my 4x4 van to some more remote areas too; I don't even want to consider how much a service call to such an area would cost.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #47
Orv

Garage
I would consider 750 pounds pretty comfortable unless you plan on bringing along a lot of passengers. Weight from people adds up quick. Four passengers at 180 pounds each is almost there already.

Of course, it's not like the van is safe at 8,092 lbs and suddenly becomes unsafe at 8,093, but as you go over GVWR you're cutting into engineering margins of safety on everything from brakes to suspension parts; if running overweight it behooves you to drive gently.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I would consider 750 pounds pretty comfortable unless you plan on bringing along a lot of passengers. Weight from people adds up quick. Four passengers at 180 pounds each is almost there already.

Of course, it's not like the van is safe at 8,092 lbs and suddenly becomes unsafe at 8,093, but as you go over GVWR you're cutting into engineering margins of safety on everything from brakes to suspension parts; if running overweight it behooves you to drive gently.
Yes, we should be good there as it will really only be my wife and me in the van; maybe our cat too if it takes to van life. Sportsmobile did provide three lap belt sets for each of the two dinette benches in the rear, but I simply can't even imagine how riding, sideways, back there would be. No plan to subject anyone to that except if I'm visiting family and need to take a few extra people for a short ride.

Good reminder of how the GVWR is not a firm cut off between safe and unsafe. Makes me think of all those sci-fi shows where there's a radiation leak and for drama, they have a countdown until a lethal amount of radiation exposure is reached. As a scientist, that sort of cheap, faked drama, always makes me cringe.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #49
Orv

Garage
I have the same setup. I've had friends ride back there a couple times and no one has complained, although with people on both sides footroom gets a little cramped. It's really best for no more than 3 people. Filling all six would require that they all either be children or really good friends. On a trip I can't ever see having more than two back there, since realistically the van only sleeps four. For short jaunts in town though, like going out to eat when we have guests, I do appreciate the flexibility of being able to load everyone into the same vehicle.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I have the same setup. I've had friends ride back there a couple times and no one has complained, although with people on both sides footroom gets a little cramped. It's really best for no more than 3 people. Filling all six would require that they all either be children or really good friends. On a trip I can't ever see having more than two back there, since realistically the van only sleeps four. For short jaunts in town though, like going out to eat when we have guests, I do appreciate the flexibility of being able to load everyone into the same vehicle.
I agree. It would be very crowded back there with the full complement of six that are allowed by the number of seat belts.

My van will only sleep two since I don't have the pop top so it's even less likely I'll be hauling more folks than just my wife and me.