Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 AM   #1

How much does your van weigh?

I have a 2002 EB250 with a minimal inside conversion ( microwave, refer, sink, futon bed, an extra capts chair and a couple of cabinets).

I weighed the vehicle with full water and fuel tanks, but without any gear. It came in at 8700 lbs.

Yup, that's right huge metal (not aluminum) bumpers but not much else. I guess I need to lighten that load after reading many threads on GVW.

I'm tying to get the right shocks made by Agile, but I need to know the loaded weight.

I know this is very subjective, but adding 2 AGM batteries, solar panels a couple of bikes and two kayaks, I can figure. But, can anyone estimate a ballpark figure for kitchen supplies, clothing, cabinets, etc that you use for a fully loaded trip?

Is 1000lbs a good rough estimate?

May be a shot in the dark, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,

Bob

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You're right at the upper limit of your van's GVW---which I'm sure you ready know. FWIW my 2003 E250 EB completely stock and empty weighed 5,300# when new-to-me---it now tips the scales at a whopping 7,800# loaded as what amounts to a daily driver. (Work only, mostly tools and some supplies.) I'm refitting an E350 which has already seen Hellwig motor home front & rear sway bars and Bilstein shocks, also short wheel base motor home specs.

Not for nothing but I can already tell the E350 suspension will be better for my use---the E250 just a bit too close to its max for me to be fully comfortable with its street and highway handling characteristics.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #3

Garage
Very subjective.

For me cooking gear and clothing isn't more than a couple hundred pounds. Really depends on what you take. You mentioned cabinets. What kind, size and how many?

When I moved a year plus ago and weighed my van empty, not full fuel, no water, etc. it was about 8000. When I'm traveling fully loaded including water, I'm around 9000. This includes all gear, toilet, stand alone awning, gas cans, tools, etc. not just cooking gear and clothes.

YMMV.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

10,124 fully loaded with fuel and water, minus the wife.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

8,500 totally empty.
A tad over 15,000 when loaded heavy.
25,000+ with a couple trailers hooked up.

I've upgraded to the '09+ 5k front axle, and an E450 rear axle. Plus added leafs, airbags, and sumo bump stops. In other words... I wouldn't fret too much over your sticker GVWR. Just stay off the bump stops, and upgrade the brakes if you can't stop quickly loaded.

More important, never overload tires, or a semi-float rear axle.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You're right at the upper limit of your van's GVW---which I'm sure you ready know. FWIW my 2003 E250 EB completely stock and empty weighed 5,300# when new-to-me---it now tips the scales at a whopping 7,800# loaded as what amounts to a daily driver. (Work only, mostly tools and some supplies.) I'm refitting an E350 which has already seen Hellwig motor home front & rear sway bars and Bilstein shocks, also short wheel base motor home specs.

Not for nothing but I can already tell the E350 suspension will be better for my use---the E250 just a bit too close to its max for me to be fully comfortable with its street and highway handling characteristics.

HTH
I guess, I am facing a rough ride or beefing up the front end. But, really should be looking at an EB350 for my needs.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
8,500 totally empty.
A tad over 15,000 when loaded heavy.
25,000+ with a couple trailers hooked up.

I've upgraded to the '09+ 5k front axle, and an E450 rear axle. Plus added leafs, airbags, and sumo bump stops. In other words... I wouldn't fret too much over your sticker GVWR. Just stay off the bump stops, and upgrade the brakes if you can't stop quickly loaded.

More important, never overload tires, or a semi-float rear axle.
<<More important, never overload tires, or a semi-float rear axle>>

I guess you are referring to weight? Not sure how to calculate this figure?

As mentioned above, I prolly need to look into a EB350 as this 250 is just the wrong application for full timing.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
<<More important, never overload tires, or a semi-float rear axle>>

I guess you are referring to weight? Not sure how to calculate this figure?

As mentioned above, I prolly need to look into a EB350 as this 250 is just the wrong application for full timing.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, I'm referring to weight. Check the weight rating on your tires. Weigh your van by axle and make sure your axle weight isn't over the sum of the tire ratings. For what your van weighs, Load Range E is probably a must.

For the rear axle rating, you'll have to check the axle tag for the model number, then cross ref that to an axle chart. I suspect you probably have the lighter-duty semi-float which is rated at ~5,400#.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #9

10,000 pounds. It's a Ford 2006 6.0 diesel, SMB RB50 inside with poptop, and SMB 4x4 conversion. I opted for the Dynatrac rear full-floating axle upgrade. Can't see carrying this much weight on a semi-float axle but SMB sold lots of vans that way. Rides nice on smooth roads, OK on rough roads, and sucks on washboard and potholes. It came with Old Man Emu front shocks and I swapped them for Fox shocks a year or two ago. It didn't make much difference. It's a 10,000 brick on leaf springs. It's never going to ride like a Caddy. Brakes are OK, but I have yet to need to do a full on panic stop in 12 years of owning it. I stay waaay back from the vehicle ahead of me. I've yet to find a "big brake" upgrade kit to fit the Dynatrac front axle. Not that I could afford it anyway.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

My old RB E350 Rusty weighed 10,700 fully loaded. 460 gas, Quigley, Full float rear, super heavy Reunel front and rear bumpers, 2 big kids, 2 little ones loaded for a one month trip.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote