Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #1

How to determine fair market price for a used SMB?

I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a used SMB! E-350 EB Quigley 4x4 diesel w/ electric pop top, pretty decked out interior (e.g. solar, inverter, fridge diesel water heater/furnace, external shower, etc.). 2008 w/ 80k miles

How the heck do I figure out what fair market price is for a given vehicle? Each SMB seems so one-of-a-kind that doing direct comps is super hard for a newbie like me. Any suggestions for how to go about this process? Any ballpark quotes for the above?

coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

There is no official source for these vehicles except to ask an SMB location or ask here. Many here know a heck of a lot about them. If you can post some pics or link to them it will show many of us lots of features (or lack thereof) that would be hard to describe.

I don't recommend posting a link to a for sale ad or it might be bought from under you, probably not by any of our regulars though. It's a pretty mature crowd here. Can you copy/paste some pics?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Are you trying to figure out how much to pay for it or how much to insure it for?

There have been some deals where $50k rigs have sold for $25k because the seller simply wanted to move it. Other fully decked out rigs sit for months and months because people deem the price to be too high.

With the econoline being as old as it is, they never appraise for what is asked. In reality, it comes down to what you are willing to pay and how long you are willing to wait to find something that fits your lifestyle and budget. The more you spend, the faster your search will end.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I don't recommend posting a link to a for sale ad or it might be bought from under you, probably not by any of our regulars though. It's a pretty mature crowd here. Can you copy/paste some pics?
Thanks 86Scotty. For the reasons you state, I'm hesitant to post too much about this specific rig. But there is one on the Sportsmobile site that is a little newer with pretty much the same specs:
https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/c...eb-diesel-4x4/

And to answer Grampswrx, this would be to evaluate an asking price, not in deciding what to insure it for. I think he offers sage advice; be patient and you will pay less. I am just unsure how to set my budget expectations.
coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

The biggest key to getting a good deal is to not be in a hurry, and be ready to buy on a moments notice. It took me nearly two years of looking to find mine, and once I found it, I jumped in my truck and was at the sellers door the next day with cash in hand. He had a line up of buyers but I was the first to show up. I got a smoking deal, but had I waited a day or two, I would have missed it. So, have cash and be ready to fly or drive at a moments notice. Determining a fair value is far more difficult, but following every one for sale that you can find, you will get a reasonable idea of what's a good deal over a period of time. Good luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote