Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #11

Garage
This type of coil spring setup is very similar to 80's and early 90's Ford Bronco's and F150's. Although not an exact replica, this website may help explain some of the suspension parts - https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-question.html

Regarding the stuck bolt. I've done something similar on a 78 ford f150 with coil springs. Stick the head of a breaker bar through the space between the coils, click into the socket (try not to use extensions as the extensions may twist), and try to turn the nut. I can't help with the nut size.

https://smile.amazon.com/SK-41654-Fl...%2C228&sr=8-42

The rubber washer beneath the coil is an isolator, and prevents metal to metal contact between the spring and the axle mount. If you do need a torch, this rubber will likely melt. You might be able to make your own with some heavy duty rubber, delrin, or polyurethane? Here are some pictures that may help show what the isolator looks like - https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ator&FORM=IGRE

And some do-it-yourself options if you can't find a direct replacement for the isolator - https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...insulator.html

If nothing else works, maybe email Quigley for some help??
4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc. > Technical Center > Ford E-Series Tech Center > Maintenance Schedule

Good luck.
Chris

Old 03-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by derJack View Post
f***d!
Which size of nut do I have to use? 28 mm is too small, 30 mm too wide, 29 mm? Is it imperial? A Strange size.

Has anyone destroyed the screw in welded a new nut in? Would this make sense?

You are shure with that size? Mine are 22mm > 7/8"
The treat is M14x2 what means it is standart M14!
I have a 2001 and its not a Quigley but i think it should be the same on yours?
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #13

We have a lot of spray on rust penetrators here. Spray them on, leave them for a couple days to work their magic, then try a wrench or socket. If the bolt still won't loosen, spray again and wait a couple more days.

We also have a product called Evaporust. I've seen Garage Journal threads where I couldn't believe the results.

If you have either in Germany, I'd give them a try.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #14

THANKS for all your replies - anyhow I did not notice new replies for some days.

Here are some - maybe better viewing angles:

@ Schluchtenfl.: Itīs been last that Iīve been on that. It was for sure a size that I don not own and therefore borrowed.
@ unreng: I do not own such a breaker bar - 100 bugs is over my budget for such a thing. But something similar could work out through the coil windings ... Going through the top is probably not working.
@ SteelheadJones: Penetrating stuff was used before of course, several times, several days.
Problem here is probably the following: There is some serious antirust coating all over the bottom of my truck (which is good). The bold is screwed into a welded nut on the Quigley mount - afaik. Due to existing gravity (:-)) and antirust wachs this is NOT creeping up through the nur inside/longside the bold. From above this stuff donīt get to the correct spot I guess...

I assume these are the parts - that we see in my pictures:

https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo...117886&jsn=528
... which means for me I can likely reuse the 2nd thing, the rubber looks like nothing too special as used in all series.

I think a beaker bar like above + heat will work.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil spring, quigley