Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #21

I am amazed that springs are such a mystery. The good news for me is that adding a bit of Caster was a winner. With new U bolts and shim's under the leafsprings, I ended up at 4 and 4.5degs, up about a degree and a half. For the first time ever, I was able to let go of the wheel for almost 5 seconds without the van heading for the ditch. Granted, it was on a smooth, flat, road at only 35mph, but I don't think I could have done that before. Once I got up to cruising speed, perhaps 60, the van seems more stable. One thing I realized is that while I was still making quite a few steering inputs, the results were not as jerky. Thats to say that now, when making minor adjustments, the change in direction is less. I didn't realize that before, the van would head to one side or the other of the lane and require me to bring it back the other direction resulting in a lot of wheel movement. Now the van just moves over a little and stays there, it doesn't continue heading in the same direction. That's the good news. A slight compromise is that now the steering is heavyer, and oddly, there is a more pronounced tire vibration. I've had a slight imballance in one of the front tires, but now it suddenly seems worse, but since the tires are almost worn out, hopefully new ones will solve the problem. I do wonder though if more caster could have anything to do with it? Anyway, All in all, ths was an inexpensive improvement well worth the money I spent. Is the van on rails? Not quite, but this was another great step in the right direction. I'll be looking at my bushings next. Thanks to all that helped me figure this out.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #22

So since the thread got hi-jacked with discussion on rear springs... Why not try Agile OR for their Deavers and Fox shocks? I'm really close to calling them as it is. My rear springs are way too stiff. I hit a pothole driving up 89a in Oak Creek canyon last weekend and the rear hit so hard that my dog yelped. From what I understand if you weigh your van front & rear they can order some springs and shocks and ship them to you.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #23

Jeremy at WeldTech in El Cajon Ca has custom leaf springs available for our vans. He gets them from the guy that used to head up production at National Spring Co (now out of business). I have a new set of rear leafs, (no blocks) in my van and they are outstanding. My ride is only 2WD, YMMV. Might be worth a call to see about front leafs? My assessment from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I was just out in Borrego Valley last weekend to try my new "Complete Performance Package" 6 inch lift from weldtec for the 1st time. My van rides outstanding now. No worries about anything, even an ooops in the whooops is tolerable. Rocks still benefits from airing down a bit to smooth things out, but not as urgent.

A couple of observations after driving ~200 miles on hwy, super twisty country roads and dirt: 1) After the lift the van tracks super straight and solid on the Hwy at speed (got up to 85), 2) There is no extra sway when cornering from the raised center of gravity, 3) No appreciable change in MPG, 4) I feel there is no need right now to add a steering stabilizer, I just don't think I'll bronco my van that hard to feel the need for one. I'm keeping my 265-16 BFG KOs for a while.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo View Post
So since the thread got hi-jacked with discussion on rear springs... Why not try Agile OR for their Deavers and Fox shocks? I'm really close to calling them as it is. My rear springs are way too stiff. I hit a pothole driving up 89a in Oak Creek canyon last weekend and the rear hit so hard that my dog yelped. From what I understand if you weigh your van front & rear they can order some springs and shocks and ship them to you.

No hi-jack discussing springs, I started the thread and the discussion of springs. I already have Agile's shocks, and they added a leaf on my rear springs already. My biggest concern about springs is actually my front ones, the rear's are ok except for the lift block I'd like to eliminate. If your experiencing hard hits in the rear, take a look at the bump stop and see if it shows signs of bottoming out. If it is, there are several ways to add spring rate or to add a little lift. Deavers are probably the best, but also the most expensive. If you do get new springs, I'd think you would want to install them and then cycle the suspension fully to determine shock length, but perhaps John has done enough of them to know already. My desire is to be able to work with a local spring company to make a less expensive set for the front first, then the rear. So far though, that's not working out too well. Now that my steering is much better, I can put some more effort into the springs.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Jeremy at WeldTech in El Cajon Ca has custom leaf springs available for our vans. He gets them from the guy that used to head up production at National Spring Co (now out of business). :
Thanks, I'd forgotten about Jeremy. I paid him a visit last time I was in town, but I wasn't in the market for springs at that time. My guess is that it's best to have the van available when ordering springs to make sure everything is measured correctly though. With the rear of our vans being pretty well stock it's probably not as critical there, but since the fronts are all over the map, I would be hesitant to try and get a set spec'd out long distance. That's why I hope to work with someone local to me. Thanks for the reminder though, I'll probably stop by the next time I'm in Southern Calif.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
Site Team

Also, don't necessarily assuming that you need to completely replace rear spring packs. Some years back I took my Bronco to Deaver Springs, and had them rework what I already had to make up for the sag I had in the back. They added a partial leaf, and rearched some of the other leafs and it made a huge difference.

Herb
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Also, don't necessarily assuming that you need to completely replace rear spring packs. Some years back I took my Bronco to Deaver Springs, and had them rework what I already had to make up for the sag I had in the back. The added a partial leaf, and rearched some of the other leafs and it made a huge difference.Herb

Currently I'm not too unhappy with the rear springs I have. Ramsey added a leaf and it leveled up. It doesn't bottom out either, but I'd like to have the more progressive spring rate of a multiple leaf pack, and if I'm going to do that, I want to eliminate the lift block too. My main concern is my front springs. The same guy that works for Jeremy re-arched them a couple years ago when he worked for National Spring, but they have begun to sag again, so I want to upgrade to a new multiple leaf pack. Finding someone local to design and fabricate them seems to be the biggest challenge. I guess worse case, I'll have to pay a visit to some of the good folks in Southern Calif, but that may not be till November when I hope to make the Baja 1000.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #28

Garage
I just had a conversation with John at Quadvan. He is going to have Oregon Spring re-arch my rear springs when I'm down that way next month. I will have them install new spring bushings at the same time, and I'm also thinking about doing new rear shocks. That should be a good step in a positive direction for my rear suspension.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #29

Garage
Glider - are you having John leave your block in the rear and just rearching the springs or eliminating the block and re arching the springs?

Edit - And if he didn't replace the rear shocks when you had your conversion done, what did he do? Reweld the shock mounts on the axle?

Arctic - I am enjoying the thread, thanks for starting it!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
I just had a conversation with John at Quadvan. He is going to have Oregon Spring re-arch my rear springs when I'm down that way next month. I will have them install new spring bushings at the same time, and I'm also thinking about doing new rear shocks. That should be a good step in a positive direction for my rear suspension.
That sounds like a good solution, but my re-arched springs have begun to sag again. Never the less, it's been a few years and a lot of off road miles, so it was totally worth it. As a matter of fact, I'm considering doing mine again in the short term, until I can get a better set made. As for shocks, I wouldn't consider anything but a set of re-valved Fox's from Agile. They are not that expensive (I paid $120ea a few years ago). They can be rebuilt when the time comes, and most importantly, the valving will match your van, rather than some universal compromise. Let us know how it works out.....
Advanced 4wd