Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
But that's why I love this forum. So many opinions and information.

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I very recently had Gitt Spring do some work on my van.
Next time I will speak with other shops before deciding where to spend my money.
Well, if that isn't a gentlemanly way of saying it... Nice!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Well, if that isn't a gentlemanly way of saying it... Nice!
Yeah, just putting out a caution sign is all.

I had a broken main leaf on the right front of my Salem Kroger converted Ford van.
I ended up going here because I had been there before to have them bend some u bolts for another vehicle and I had stopped by to have them look at the van and see if there was anything they could do to improve the ride in the way of springs before the one broke. They thought they could make some springs that would be a bit softer and maybe improve it even though they would retain the short length and shackles in the front.

There were some communication issues because when ever I talked to them it seemed to be a different person. I think I dealt with 3 different people over the phone over the 3-4 weeks they had my van.
I told them I also wanted new shocks in front with the springs and that I wanted the same Bilstein model I already had on the back. Went back and forth on this with them and he kept telling me the ones he wanted to put on he had experience with and were just as good and cheaper. Ranchos.

They got the springs installed eventually. I guess they had got them from some place in Canada and didn't actually build them as I thought that's what was going to happen. The new springs were arched quite a bit more than the old ones and the front of the van now sat about 2 inches higher. So now the back end needed work to sit level. Sweet! A 2 inch lift! Not really a big deal either way to me. But I had to now pay to have the rear springs rearched and an add a leaf put in. No big deal really. I can understand some unexpected things.

I went to pick it up on a Saturday which was a day they are normally closed. But there was going to someone there working and that allowed me to go get it. I paid the bill which was significantly higher than prices we had originally talked about. I wasn't super surprised though because of the added costs of the rear suspension work and a few other add ons along the way.

As soon as I pulled out of the lot I could tell the front springs were definitely softer and that it seemed like an improvement. The next thing I noticed was the steering wheel 30* off to the left. I found a turn around in a lot with some big speed bumps and could tell the back was now way stiffer than it used to be.

I told him the wheel was way off and he verified they had aligned it as indicated on the paperwork. He said he would have the alignment guy do it again but not until next week during regular hours. So I ended up leaving it there.

Picked it up again and drove off with a straight steering wheel. It drives about the same with an improved ride in front from the springs.

I got to poking around underneath in the next few days and find that the shocks they installed are not the right size at all. They are going to bottom out the shafts before the springs hit the bump stops. By about 2 inches. So the extra few inches I did gain are now going to break the lower shock mounts on a big hit.

I never went back or called them. I probably should have complained but at this point I just don't think they are really capable or interested in doing this kind of work correctly.

It was just kind of a bad experience for me and if I need that type of work again I probably won't be going back there.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #54

Buffalo, that's a bit of a sad story. I do think though that you should have let them kmow about the shock problem, and gotten some compensation. (perhpas through your credit card company?) Anyone wanting to install a set of Rancho's on my van would immediately raise alarm bells. In my case, I hope to get a set of springs built that I will then install myself as I have rarely been satisfied with work performed by others on my van, with few exceptions, noteably Agile. So, did you solve the shock problem?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #55

Garage
Yowsa...Buffalo, thank you for the heads up.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #56

I know. I thought about it for a while but wasn't sure what to do and just didn't want to deal with them anymore. Agree about the Ranchos. I think some of this is my fault for not being more vocal about certain things. Like the shocks.
If I had known they were only going to measure the springs and order them, I would have done as you said and installed them myself also. I don't like people working on my stuff generally for these types of reasons.
But I thought they were going to take them out, measure, alter for my van, build new ones and install properly. Again, partially my fault for not making it clear in the beginning.

As far as the shocks, not yet. I have gotten as far as coming up with a template for new brackets to weld on so the lower mount will be in the proper location. Other branded shocks will also work then in place of the Ranchos.

I just need to find some place to cut them out. I don't have software to design them on so I can't send a file of it somewhere. It may come to the cutoff wheel and grinder.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I just need to find some place to cut them out. I don't have software to design them on so I can't send a file of it somewhere. It may come to the cutoff wheel and grinder.
Chassis Unlimited in Livermore, CA Phone: (888) 552 5371 Extreme Off-road MFG - Chassis Unlimited

Younger enthusiastic, serious offroad guys that make a lot of what they sell in-house. They can take a sketch, turn it into a 2d CAD file, cut out you parts on their laser table (Up to 1/2" thick A36 mild steel). I think I dealt with Corey on my Dana 60 custom front shock mount project
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0866 plates,close up.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #58

Thanks TomsBeast! Will check them out.
My mounts should look pretty close to that!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #59

Garage
I'm just back from a pleasant jaunt to Quadvan and Oregon Spring. For my rear springs, they removed the middle two leaves entirely, and re-arched the top leaf. They then built three new leaves for a total spring pack of five leaves, and a rear lift of about an inch and a half.

My van is driver side heavy, as I have fuel, 20 gallons of water, and two G31 batteries on that side. Oregon Spring engineered the driver's side springs for the additional weight, so the van sits level side to side. With a normal load, the rear of the van is about 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the front.

I am quite happy with the new setup. It looks and drives great. Oregon Spring did a beautiful job for me, and John McKee made it all happen. I really appreciate the way that John has taken care of me throughout the process of planning my conversion, doing the conversion, and following up afterwards.

Ultimately, custom springs with no lift block might be nice--and I might do that someday. On the other hand, I might not. I'm not a rock crawler. The lift blocks do not impede my current uses--and the van rides and handles really nicely now. Why mess with a good thing?

Step by step, my van is coming together, and I like it!
Ready to Rumble!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #60

In the continuing pursuit of finger tip flying at 80 mph in the van I decided to try to add a little bit more caster. 2* in fact. When it comes to ground vehicles my experience is in independent suspension so adjustments like this could be made with a turn of a wrench. The van is the first solid/lief spring front axle I've owned so it's been a fun learning experience.

Over the years I've replaced just about everything there is in the suspension. Each step along the way has improved the highway speed handling noticeably. However up until this slight increase in caster the van has still required the driver to be present and on top of steering corrections. So I thought as the last step towards ideal handling I'd try the shims. So far I'm very happy with it.

The only issue is that, though I clamped the springs and was careful when I removed the axle plus the bolt that goes through the spring. Something must of still changed as the steering pulls ever so slightly to the right. So after a few test drives I re loosened the U bolts, rechecked all my measurements and made sure everything was pretty neutral before re-torquing everything. Now it seems to track straight and real stable at highway speeds. So far I'm the most happy with the steering I've ever been and the first time I've installed caster shims. Thank you arctictraveler for the thread and everyone who contributed.

Here is a picture just for fun.
Thanks
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote