Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

no concern here, on the front end. i have a heavy steel front bumper, but an aluminess out back. i'm more concerned with aft of rear axle weight, especially with plans for a 55 gallon rear tank in the works.

bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #12

... of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_whale View Post
Like the title says I’m in the market for a front bumper.

I have a 2004 Quigley converted e350 van. I drive it approx 5-7k a year. The van is a 15 passenger van that will hold the wife two kids and gear for long weekend of camping. So no conversions stuff here. Just an empty van that gets loaded with gear.

I’m between the trail ready pre runner bumper (with the small brush bar) and the new ujoint bumper (with no bar). The trail ready bumper is approx #210 with out a winch and the unjoint I’m guessing is less than #100. I like the idea of a brush bar to keep a stray deer out of my grill. The price will be about the same and I plan on adding a warm vr12000 winch as well.

Does the added #100 from the steel bumper infront of the axle really matter that much?

Any thoughts or comments would be great.
ok I am from Germany - maybe that makes a difference ...
I really don´t get why would anyone like to have a new bumper and spend thousands of $$$? For what? I really don´t believe anyone here is rockcrawling with an 5-6 meter truck and 3,50 meter [137"] wheelbase ...

I would invest that into

Besides that: Safety is a concern as well. The newer ones, mine is a 1994 w/o Airbags, have such. I am pretty sure these will not work properly if these is a ton of steel in front of the truck.

a winch can be mounted better. Finally the winch is NOT bolted to the steel bumper: The weakest point is always where the bumper itself is bolted on! So a winch is best bolted to a strong steel thing bolted to the frame - whatever the bumper is made of in front of that.

The original steel bumper ist btw the absolut light weightest! Steel or aluminium is irrelevant because steel way stronger and therefor can be made of way thinner material with same strength to aluminium.

The original bumper - made of steel - weights 17 kg [aka 40 ibs] exactly - I´ve put it on a scale recently. I dought that someone hit this steel bumper that much, that it can´t take (w/o doing harm to the rest of the truck).

IF someone is afraid of hitting the truck too hard I would think of a better protection of the lower part!
Steering has absolutely no protection!
In Europe people invest in that: Under Body Protection for: steering (most important of all), tank etc.
Check out that:

I will do something similar to my Quigley - anytime later and keep the original bumper. What do you need a winch for if your track bar is already broken?
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #13

btw
IF there is an obstacle hitting your (strong) bumper it will probably also hit your unprotected steering as well - unless the obstacle is flying.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #14

Didn't know which thread was best to put this. I'm assuming this is an April Fools joke by RoughCountry and doesn't actually exist. But, if it did, I'm sure the demographic that I'm not going to mention would buy it. It did make me laugh though.

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #15

That is awesome. Rough Country just earned my respect and probably my business......but not for that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #16

Garage
Put a smile on my face! I'll bet they could/would probably sell quite a few.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Put a smile on my face! I'll bet they could/would probably sell quite a few.
Great video---RC must recognize their potential demographic!

If any of us recall "truck nutz" from a few years back----this is the Pet Rock of the 21st Century, Vehicular Division.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #18

Garage
Ok that was funny. I'd like to have one to put on my VW