Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

Locking hubs, easy to replace?

I've got a bit of play in my right front warn locking hub. It moves about 3mm-5mm in-and-out when I switch the hubs from free to locked and vise versa.

I'm not familiar with these and have never taken mine apart. Is there something inside that might have come loose that I can tighten? Better yet, is this any cause for concern?

And if they are shot, are any special tools required to install replacement locking hubs? I've read about the new dynalocs and would consider those if the warns need replacing.

Any guidance before I go poking around in there would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Old 05-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #2

If you get in touch with SMB Fresno, they should be able to put you in touch with the Warn rep...he was at the Park City SMB Rally last July and should be able to answer your questions. One of the "classes" was to disassemble and reassemble a Warn hub...
Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
If you get in touch with SMB Fresno, they should be able to put you in touch with the Warn rep...he was at the Park City SMB Rally last July and should be able to answer your questions. One of the "classes" was to disassemble and reassemble a Warn hub...
Thanks, I will give Heber a call next week.
R
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

Very easy to replace....if only someone had a new set in the classifieds for sale...

Actually, the stub and Ford hub housing combination on my rig is not real great when it comes to the Warn Hubs. If the six retaining screws on the hub are over-tightened ever so slightly, the locking hub wants to force the stub clip out of its groove (the stub just doesn't seem long enough for the Ford hub (the housing)) Perhaps more accurately, this happens on my before over-tightening occurs. I've got to use Loctite on teh screws and tighten them to "snug" at most. That may be all that's happened to yours. I received the PO's paperwork for the van and see the van has gone through at least two hubs in its life. Someone suggested Dynatrac hubs to me a while back, but the cost seemed prohibative. Now, I think they are worth it if this problem can be avoided. Just one more thing to add to the list, but with diesel prices the way they are, I'm going to wait until I break the next hub before I buy them (I have a back-up Warn hub in the van for when this happens). I've never had hub failures like this with any 4x4. Considering just having the Ford hub face machined down a bit as an alternate fix.