Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Long travel 2wd Camburg suspension vs 4x4

Hi gang.
Id love to talk to anybody who has actually driven a Camburg
Engineering modified Ford van suspension. (www.bajavans.com)
On the road in crosswinds and hard off road in washboard and potholes etc. 10" of travel must be be nice!
Im trying to decide if I should just attempt a mild airbag lift or
spent the $ for the full Camburg job. I sold my Quigley SMB mainly due to its poor ability to articulate and absorb real world 4x4 situations. 2-3" of travel is silly especially when you are sitting on top of it.
For snowy roads and flat smooth sand it was OK. In reality, getting most interesting places offroad involves many miles of highspeed washboard, potholes and ruts requiring active suspension and some clearance. Im convinced a 2wd with active suspension, a rear locker and air comp for airing down will actually be more useful for what I do so im building one on a 2000E350 7.3 PSD cargo . The penthouse is in. (Ill post some picts soon).
For snowy roads roads around here Ill use studded tires. Deep sand I may have to stay out of or try chans for emergencys.
Any Camburg guys out there?
Thanks - Aaron

idamanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #2

I have driven a Camburg Van around town for a couple of days but not in the desert on some trails.

However I would recomend the ujointclothing 4x4 conversion. Chris sells the kit for ~$600 which is only this kit pictured, and can get any parts you need to finish it at a reasonable price.

I have the kit and will be installing it as soon as I find an axle to use. Click this link www.ujointclothing.com and check out "Vanaconda" on the left side of the page. That is his van build thread with his kit on it.

If you decide on staying 2wd though, before you get the Camburg system, check out these guys in San Clemente, CA. http://www.actionvansuspension.com. It's much cheaper, and is quality stuff. They are a branch of Full Tilt Off-Road.
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote