Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Re: Looking for a softer coil springs for my Quigley

My van could also ride smoother, but I don't hit the bumpstops - only because I added spacers under the spring mount to raise the front.

At the SoCal meet and greet I noticed the springs on a new QuadVan conversion were longer and softer than my coil springs. This was a gas engined van (diesels may need a heavier spring) and rode quite well.

I pulled the P/N tag off:

FoMoCo 9C24-5310-NA

I believe it to be a spring from an F-Series truck. Similar to E-Series springs, but longer. I haven't been able to cross the number yet - haven't tried beyond the internet. My next thought was to call QuadVan and ask them what springs they use/suggest.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #12

That part number is for a 09 to 2011 Econoline van. did not change my ride.
Chimneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

QuadVan installs the F-series foam-filled bumpstops. The stock I-beams create nearly a 2-1 motion ratio at the bump stop, so they are really hard. Once a solid axle is installed, a bumpstop with half the hardness is required to maintain the same feel. John at QuadVan experimented with stock-style 2wd bumpstops, then settled on the F-series stops because they have the best ride. It does look like the Quigley has much less travel than the QuadVan 4" setup. But QuadVan also uses the F-series stop on the 2" setups I believe. But QuadVan does recommend the 4" setup for everything but highway vehicles like buses and other commercial vehicles.

I test drove a 4" QuadVan over some very deteriorated RR crossings, at speed, and it rode better than stock 2wd.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #14

Update
1" off , more travel and driving is alot better
Still, I think the 4200lb coils will do better then the 4600lb

Attached Thumbnails
1q (Large).jpg   2q (Large).jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #15

Based on your description of the problem, I think you are heading down the wrong path. Softer coils will make you bottom out easier, and while the trimmed stops give you a little more travel, when you do hit it will be much harsher now. I think you need taller coils, stiffer coils, or spring perch spaces (I haven't seen any for sale, but should be easy to make).

I have 4600 coils too. When I'm fully loaded with full seats, and 2000 pounds on the roof, and a Honda 600 on the front rack, I bottom out easily too when off-highway. I added coil-rite airbags, and that gave about 1.5" of lift when loaded, and now it rarely bottoms out anymore.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Before you start swapping springs, throw a set of Bilstein 5100s on it & see what happens.
I too would like to improve the harshness of the ride. Washboard roads, divets, etc. cause too much jarring but I am quite certain I am not hitting bumpstops. I thought softer coils or a progressive coil would help along with a higher number of leaves (smaller gage) in the leaf pack of the rear springs. Since I have not found anything like that offered for our vans, I am considering trying the bilstein 5100s to see if they help.

Also, I have always thought that coil springs normally provide a better ride than leaves but it sounds like allot of the guys running Deavers are very happy with them.

Can anyone tell me what the Bilstein 5100 part number would be for my van and where to buy them? I have a '99 E350 Sportsmobile/Quigley, 7.3 diesel.

Thank you
Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco76
Quote:
Before you start swapping springs, throw a set of Bilstein 5100s on it & see what happens.
I too would like to improve the harshness of the ride. Washboard roads, divets, etc. cause too much jarring but I am quite certain I am not hitting bumpstops. I thought softer coils or a progressive coil would help along with a higher number of leaves (smaller gage) in the leaf pack of the rear springs. Since I have not found anything like that offered for our vans, I am considering trying the bilstein 5100s to see if they help.

Also, I have always thought that coil springs normally provide a better ride than leaves but it sounds like allot of the guys running Deavers are very happy with them.

Can anyone tell me what the Bilstein 5100 part number would be for my van and where to buy them? I have a '99 E350 Sportsmobile/Quigley, 7.3 diesel.

Thank you
Call Quigley and give them your VIN, they will tell you the correct Bilstein part numbers.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #18

I contacted Quigley and this is what they said:

"Bilstein shock #'s are B461720HO front (cost $131.63) and BE5E074HO rear. (cost $136.80 each).
I do not know if they are the 5000 series but they are what we would have put on"

Looks like Quigley doesn't use the 5100 series. Does anyone have experience with the shocks they are recommending? Do they address the "harshness" issue" and are they a good off-road shock? At this price I want to be sure they will improve the ride.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #19

Now I would call Bilstein, give them those numbers, and see if they have the 5100's you want. I think they do. U-Joint Off Road is very knowledgeable on these shocks too, and a Bilstein distributor.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote