Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Looking to purchase 1999 SMB 7.3L Diesel

I'm in the market to purchase a 1999 SMB with 7.3L diesel engine and would like some advice on what to look out for as far as engine/power train integrity. I have never owned a diesel powered engine so any advise on key areas to inspect would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2

Re: Looking to purchase 1999 SMB 7.3L Diesel

[quote="dante"]I'm in the market to purchase a 1999 SMB with 7.3L diesel engine and would like some advice on what to look out for as far as engine/power train integrity. I have never owned a diesel powered engine so any advise on key areas to inspect would be greatly appreciated.[/quote

I am no mechanic, but have owned two.

-look at the valley for oil or fuel. will probably be fuel but will look like oil.
down pipes (pull off dog house and look at those pipes going down right after the turbo I thing) you can see if there leaking.
-obvious leaks in and around the under parts that move. tranny, transfer case etc. the junk if the valley will make it look like the tranny so look carefully.
-look closely the best you can around the air box. under that is the fuel bowl which will be hard to see if at all. depends on how in depth you go.
-there was a recall on the CPS in 07 I think. easy fix, but you can check on that. easy fix if not as a dealer should take care of it. I would keep an extra in the glove box and a 10mm socket just in case.
-batteries. the vans you can only really see one. the ohter is under the rig on the passanger side rail (that is where mine is)
-while driving I would see how the tranny shifts into gear. and also when driving.
-how long does it take to start after the "wait to start light goes off" if it take a bit, it could be a few things but good to note.
-I would ask for any paper work of service stuff. tranny and stuff.
there is more, but cant think of it right now.

I hope this helps, but I am sure the masters have more to add if not correct me.

I just bought a 00 with 328k on the clock. I am in Montana, it was in Maine. so I had a dealer check it out to give me an idea. made it home, but its in the shop with a few things that are behind the scenes type of stuff. not expected to know unless you dig deep.
still happy with my new ride. just need to get some things running right so I can enjoy it.

good luck and hope this helps.
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Thanks MTDEwX8!
I'll definitely take your points into consideration. Do happen to know the 4x4 specifications Sportsmobile used for that year?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Why just a 99?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

I am new to the SMB thing. so I can't answer about the 4x4 system
Mine has a quigley and am learning there are differences. I would call them. they will want the VIN and can e-mail you stuff they have on the van.

been good so far
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
Do happen to know the 4x4 specifications Sportsmobile used for that year?
It is most likely a Quigley. SMB didn't develop their own system until about 2003.

Brent
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

If its a Quigley, contact them and provide the VIN number. They'll get back to you in a few days with the build info. I did that recently for the Quigley V10 I purchased from Brent. Parts details from Quigley comes to you as .pdf files. Handy to have and to share with the Ford techs if/when I need repairs in the future.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks all

There two 1999 SMB's that are on the market with a configuration that fit what I'm looking for but I would be open for a later/2003 7.3L. Any major differences in 7.3L engines from 1999- 2003?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #9

Garage

2003 has a much beefier torque converter than the earlier diesels. My went out and I had a $4400 new tranny bill. I could have replaced only the torque converter but I went for longevity. The replacement basically added the 2003 upgrades and then some. Mine is an '01.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
Thanks all

There two 1999 SMB's that are on the market with a configuration that fit what I'm looking for but I would be open for a later/2003 7.3L. Any major differences in 7.3L engines from 1999- 2003?
From 1999-2003 they go from awesome to most awesome because it's the last year you could get the best one ever (no offense 6.0 folks). I don't even have one, but I've driven them at work and would love to find one. I think your resale on an 03 7.3 would be better than any other year van in any configuration.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote