Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Lost Locking Lug Nut Key - Rough Start to the New Year

I lost the locking lug on my '06 SMB E350 4x4. I figured I'd just pull the locking lugs with a universal lug nut remover from the local auto parts store and replace them with new non-locking lugs, but the universal puller wont fit down inside the tight confines of the wheel lug hole.

Does anyone know the brand/specs of the original locking lug nut set from SMB? Perhaps someone in the Co Springs/Denver area would let me drive over and borrow their locking lug just to remove mine?

Best wishes this new year!

Cheers,
Tyler

78Vancharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

Garage
The odds of someone else’s lug key fitting is slim. Can you get a regular socket over it and bring the recessed area? Find one that will go down into the hole and over the locking lug, then find the next smaller size. Go to harbor freight and buy four of them and pound them on with a hammer. Then remove like any other but. Throw all four in garbage and replace with regular nuts.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Or... just drive over to Discount Tire as they have all kinds and types of "keys" on hand. They can then either order one for you or let you know what you need to order. Easy peasy.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

Garage
^^^ Depends on the style of lug lock. Some of them are very specific. If it’s a splined lug then ya, they should have it np. If it’s like the pic below, they likely won’t have it.

Not sure if they just pound a screwdriver down in there with a wrench to loosen or what, but the socket method has worked for me more than once on purchased cars that didn’t have the key anywhere.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Call Sportsmobile, they should be able to ship you one quickly.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #6

I agree with eddyturn. Take it to a local tire shop and they might have it. The local shop here has all kinds of keys on hand and if they don't have that specific one, they know all the tricks on getting it off without it.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #7

Thanks team - I have the four new lugs on hand already so I’ll give the discount tire/local tire shop a shot to see if they have the same pattern on hand.

Will report back with results.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

So I tried O’Rielly’s and Advanced Auto Parts to no avail. O’Reilly’s had a couple keys but none of them were 7/8” and Advanced Auto had a few as well, but nothing that would work. There was a Tire Shop around the corner so I gave them a shot and the manager said he could get them off for $10/wheel - they had a set of universal/master keys and one of them fit well enough to get it off. $50 later, all the locking lugs were off.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That's not a bad price----if another method had been used and boogered up the studs you'd spent a lot more than that replacing them.

Glad this worked out well!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote