Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Love seeing these shots, that some serious wheeling and use of a product. Makes me what to be in the Pacific NW wheeling in my rover right now.
Yah Im just expecting something Jurassic to peer out at us in the next pic!

Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #52
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
Tell me about it, just wish our van could go the places our little rover would go!
That's for sure
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #53

Can one of you much more experienced members please comment on the pros and cons of the Maxtrax style recovery ramp vs. the aluminum sand ladder style? I only see one use for the Maxtrax style - recovery, but I have seen a couple of other uses for the aluminum sand ladder style - table, platform on top of the van, platform on the ground. I understand that recovery is the primary use case and needs to be the deciding factor, but as an old backpacker I always look for things that have dual uses.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #54

I'm in for a set of these at $110.

What are the dimensions?

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #55

MSD- Count me in on a set or 2! And if you need another heavy POS home built rig willing to get stuck to test them out, give me a shout. I am really, really good at breaking stuff, it's my super power, well that and just enough ignorance to get myself there in the first place!!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Can one of you much more experienced members please comment on the pros and cons of the Maxtrax style recovery ramp vs. the aluminum sand ladder style? ....
Well I'm not in the 'experienced' camp, but sand ladder won't work in this eastern clay and mud I imagine. And I'd need new tires to tag along on a SW sand trip!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #57
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Can one of you much more experienced members please comment on the pros and cons of the Maxtrax style recovery ramp vs. the aluminum sand ladder style? I only see one use for the Maxtrax style - recovery, but I have seen a couple of other uses for the aluminum sand ladder style - table, platform on top of the van, platform on the ground. I understand that recovery is the primary use case and needs to be the deciding factor, but as an old backpacker I always look for things that have dual uses.
For me it was mounting. Although I haven't tested them, I'd like a ramp to be easily remounted after use. I have used metal ramps at work when stuck and they get a bit deformed after use. I'm sure different models/makes/sizes makes a difference in how well they'll hold about 4000 lbs, but in the end I was also swayed to purchase the Maxtrax product just because of their positive reviews and military use.
I think new products are great provided they work as advertised. I just couldn't find much info on handling high weights. Seems like our 10,000 LB or heavier 4x4 vans are more or less rare in the industry.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post

I'm thinking of offering these up to forum members at an introductory group rate buy of $110.00 a set. They are 5ton load range and we've made sure they won't burn up as well…Personally I think it's a killer deal.

Thoughts?? These are in production as I speak and a few forum members have already been able to check them out. I might add that I have the ability to make a 10ton recovery track as well… tread patter is a little different.
I'd be in at a buck ten for a pair. I almost pulled the trigger for a couple of Max's at the Expo, but hated the orange color. I'd be storing them on the roof rack and thought orange would be easy for thieving hands to target. What would the dimensions be, and I assume they are stack-able?
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #59

Garage
I have not needed them yet, but this is my mounting solution.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #60
MSD

Garage
That's an awesome mounting set up Skyrat, I like the way you have it locked on too.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote