Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
We started out carrying one pair of tracks, until we found ourselves stuck in a muskeg swamp in alaska. We added a second set when we returned home.

I think two pairs is the right number. This allows you to move one pair while the vehicle is still sitting on the first pair, eliminating the hassle of getting the ramp back under the wheel.

Once the first pair is mounted somewhere, the extra space needed for the second pair is nominal, as they nest together.
Thank you- OK, I see, that helps...... and OF COURSE Field testing in a muskeg swamp you say!?! The adventures I read about on this forum make me really hope to meet some of you sometime if only for the campfire tales!

I guess that covers my next question too, that being how they do in mud!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Dana View Post
Dave,

I have an EB and I like the idea of mounting them between the ladder and bumper. How did you attach them? I would love more details.

Thanks
John
My are mounted on the outside of my ladder with 1" wide zip ties. It works very well as long as you look at the zip ties yearly to see if they are cracking in the sun.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Dana View Post
Dave,

I have an EB and I like the idea of mounting them between the ladder and bumper. How did you attach them? I would love more details.

Thanks
John
Sorry for the late reply John. It was fairly simple for a good welder which I'm not. I had a buddy weld up brackets with compression rings (the two piece type) that attach around the tubing. On the studs he just used round stock and I keep the boards secured to 2 out of the 4 maxtrax holes with lynch pins. I purchased a couple of locking hitch receiver pins and he cut those so I have one more point of attachment that can be locked. I can fit two per side. Somebody a while back posted a link to aluminum compression rings. Do it with aluminum if you can to avoid rust or spray them with undercoating or similar.
I was concerned about flex between the bumper and body/ladder but I've put them through a lot and no issues at all. I've yet to have to use the boards to see if they flex but even if they do I think I'd still be able to get em back on. I can get a close up shot if needed.
Edit: BTW I had to move the ladders forward a bit.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #24

Garage
I have been also thinking about getting some Maxtrax and stumbled upon these. At less than half the price and good reviews I might give them a try, its not like I should be needing them all the time I hope anyway. Cant pick colors like the Maxtrax but they may be a good alternative with similar results.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovations-2...4SVQW4PDW7KD67
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I have been also thinking about getting some Maxtrax and stumbled upon these. At less than half the price and good reviews I might give them a try, its not like I should be needing them all the time I hope anyway. Cant pick colors like the Maxtrax but they may be a good alternative with similar results.
Only concern is the weight of our vans.. Will the plastic they use be strong enough and hold up? One way to find out!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Innovations-2...4SVQW4PDW7KD67

Why risk it then? If you only need them rarely, you need them to work without breaking.

If you dont really need them to work, you dont need them.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
Why risk it then? If you only need them rarely, you need them to work without breaking.

If you dont really need them to work, you dont need them.
True, I guess I missed the part where you had tried all sorts of different brands of these. Good to know what works best in your experience, as I have none with these.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
True, I guess I missed the part where you had tried all sorts of different brands of these. Good to know what works best in your experience, as I have none with these.
I've never seen them in action but they seem to have a few good reviews. One positive review came from someone who claimed they had a heavy van and said these boards worked well. Don't know if the bad reviews were filtered out though. Not a lot of van owners who have posted an opinion on them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #29

With maxtrax the weight of the vehicle is irrelevent. Thats what folks dont seem to understand. They are designed to be flexible. They work under a class A rv just as well as a dunebuggy.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #30

I need some help with a dimension. I went to the Maxtrax website and couldn't find what I was looking for....

When laid flat, as in when attached to a roof rack, what is the height of one Maxtrax? Also, when nested together, what is the height of two Maxtrax's?