Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
I agree with Charlie. Also Echo is my favorite to camp in. Monarch is nice on the way to the chloide cliffs which is cool too. Be sure to run the little 20 mule train road thats really a road which cars drive on but nice pictures there. Same as artist palette. Hole in the wall, Trail, and Johnson are only OK at this time of year. Overall marble has been the best hike and Titus the best easy drive for me to date. I still have a lot to explore there...that place is huge.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #12

Again, many thanks for the helpful input!

I do have the Mitchell DV SUV trails book. Lots of excellent stuff in there. It would take a LONG time to fully explore all that DV has to offer.

This will be my first visit and I'm looking forward to Badwater, Scotty's, and Titus cyn. I'll also look into Echo, Cottonwood and Marble. Some backcountry camping is definately part of the plan.
Rob
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #13

When you make your list of places to visit (AKA: Reasons to return), be sure to include the Racetrack. It is 30 miles out a rough road, but absolutely mind blowing. To see the big rocks (100+#) leave tracks across the lakebed is one thing, but when the track cross each other it leaves you wondering.

Past Racetrack and just past Lippencot Mine road is an old campsite the still shows on some maps. It is about as secluded as you can get. When we stayed there, it dropped almost 60 degrees at night 75 daytime and 14 at night. And snow over Hunter Mountain going out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #14

Re: Mengle Pass in an SMB?

Hi,
Im new to 4x4 vans, but I have driven Mengal Pass west to east in a 93 4wd F-250 with no problems, but road conditions in DVNP change with every big rainstorm. The Barker Ranch was burned a couple of months ago. (Charlie M's hideout)

Id also recommend the Saline to Eureka Valley track over Steel Pass. Expect to scrape a little in Dedeckera Canyon.

Be VERY carefull of the Lippencott Road from the racetrack into Saline Valley. One year Mobile Homes can go up it, the next year going down it was the puckeryest thing Ive ever done in a full sizes F-250.

The Hunter Mountain loop is cool also.

And dont miss Cerro Gordo either from the east or west.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote