Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #151

(for a 4R100 trans) The 2wd van transmission has an Output Speed Sensor that reads 3 pulses/revolution of the output shaft

The 4wd truck parts in the trans uses the same sensor but the reluctor wheel (aka tone ring or sensor wheel) has 18 teeth so 18 pulses/rev

For a van with stock tires and stock gearing, that correction factor would be 3/18 or 0.1667.

The ERA is just converting the number of pulses to make the van happy. .1667 is a good starting point but when you change tire sizes, you can get a closer correction factor using math. Think in terms of output shaft revs and tire revs per mile.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
(for a 4R100 trans) The 2wd van transmission has an Output Speed Sensor that reads 3 pulses/revolution of the output shaft

The 4wd truck parts in the trans uses the same sensor but the reluctor wheel (aka tone ring or sensor wheel) has 18 teeth so 18 pulses/rev

For a van with stock tires and stock gearing, that correction factor would be 3/18 or 0.1667.

The ERA is just converting the number of pulses to make the van happy. .1667 is a good starting point but when you change tire sizes, you can get a closer correction factor using math. Think in terms of output shaft revs and tire revs per mile.
Thanks again for your help as always.
jacobthrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobthrock View Post
For my understanding just so I get this correct. The van comes with a mechanical VSS and the new Truck 4x4 transmission adapter to transfer case uses a pulse VSS. So I need to order a Electronic Ratio Adapter from Ujoint?

Thanks for all your help
Pretty sure UJoint won’t sell it to you. You can order it from Abbott in the link I provided earlier.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #154

Quote:
I have my Van at the transmission shop and they are asking how you guys are doing the VSS? Speed sensor. I did a quick search and didn’t find anything. I’m out of town so any help will be appreciated.

I used the box from Dakota digital. Just splice it in-line with the speed Sensor, and I used an app on my phone to get my speed and the box has +/- buttons to adjust the speedometer until it matches the speed the app shows.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Pretty sure UJoint won’t sell it to you. You can order it from Abbott in the link I provided earlier.

You’re right. I emailed Chris at Ujoint Off-road to order the ERA and a shifter kit and he said he no longer sales them to members to complete other people’s kits.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #156

Quote:
You’re right. I emailed Chris at Ujoint Off-road to order the ERA and a shifter kit and he said he no longer sales them to members to complete other people’s kits.
Sounds like a missed business opportunity for him! Not like he's the only one selling the device.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #157

I just ordered the Electronic Ratio Adapter ERA directly from Abbott they are very easy to work with and they know what we are doing and pre program it to be close right out of the box. Thanks to everyone on here for all your help.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #158

what transmission mount is everyone using? The E350 or F250? Maybe they are the same?? I’m asking about the rubber mount between the transmission and crossmember. I’m getting ready to fab up my crossmember and need to know what rubber mount I should use. Thank you
Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #159

The mount on the van now should work.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #160

Not getting much action on my thread so hope this is good spot to try since I have a MG coil installed by UJ and get some ideas to my current problem and hopefully a solution, and if others have run into this issue. Also to be aware of it. Recently had to repair a cracked Tail house on a 5.4 V8. And the most likely cause is not having the proper support of the drive shaft,TC& trans. Just trying to see what others used for a cross member and where it's located. I'm getting a lot of bounce and play in the DS,TC,trans. My trans almost fell out! I wanna try to get this fixed before I put the van for sale for the possible new owner. So here's the gist and a short vid of the DS. Trans mounts are all good ujoints all good. Put on new tail house. Got under the van with the main mechanic. Drive shaft and Tcase still have a lot of play. The cross-member UJ put on during the conversion has a lot flex especially on the extended plate where the trans mount is. In Jeffs opinion @ Built to Last in Dgo. the cross-member is placed to far back towards the rear to give room for the MG radius arms and the cross-member shouldn't have that much flex. Stock E/F-series the cross-member and mount are a little more forward. Also that the 4R75W trans and the small TH and well known week TH with the huge NV271 Tcase is not a great match & needs much better support or this is just going to keep happening. They won't even warranty it! He's suggesting fabricating a new support around the radius arms and I'm currently thinking of moving on but wanna get it fixed so I can sell the van honestly. I got under another SMB yesterday their whole drive line has absolutely no play couldn't even get it to budge. Here's a vid of mine https://photos.app.goo.gl/k8ZHXKTvVCZTVoNs9
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote