Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #1

New Shoes

First post, be gentle.

I have a 2001 Quigley EB-50 style conversion with Transfer-Flo tank, a mild conversion, and pop-top. I think I'm somewhere in the 10,000 lb dry weight range so it's very heavy. I had a blowout on the freeway yesterday at 70 mph, so it's time to replace my baby's shoes.

I have 16" American Racing rims and 285/75/16's. Current, BFG Duellers, but I also had the AT KO's before (which is what my spare is that I'm running).

Ideally, I would like to get new wheels (a more modern look, preferably in matt black), preferably, bigger diameter rims and new more aggressive tires. Something like in the 20" range. Is there any reason why I can't do this?

I measured my existing set of tires at the limits of steering and it looks like the back of the front tire has about 1.5" of clearance from the rear fender plus Bushwackers. By my calculations, with a 20" rim, I should be able to fit 295/60/20's on this rig with about .75" of clearance. I saw some Nitto Grapplers in that size. I know I may have other issues, but I'm sick of the wandering that my rig has, which I suspect at least in part, may be due to having high sidewalls. Maybe the 60 profile would help with that?

Need help fast since I want to get new shoes on ASAP. If this is a bad idea for some reason, I may just get a set of the Nitto's in the 285 size and stick with (or replace) the chrome AM wheels.

Oh, and it's primarily a street vehicle, so I don't need aggressive treads nor rock-crawling capability. Mainly want to improve the handling and upgrade the looks.

Also, please advise on the current thinking on rear wheel spacers.

Thanks!

SwellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Garage
Re: New Shoes

It's hard to imagine that getting larger wheels would improve street handling on a 4x4 van... The ride should be better with smaller wheels? So get what looks good to you!

Or spend the money on suspension upgrades, which could improve handling AND ride.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

More wheel with less sidewall will stiffen the van up even more. The wandering is most likely a Quigley issue, unless your tires are not E rated.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Let me ask it a different way - is anyone running larger than 16" rims? If so, what size? Has anyone tried 20's or similar? I hear some have 18's.

Like I said, happy to stick with 16's, but I might change my rims anyway, so thought I'd investigate further. Would like real world experience here, not just internet speculation.

As for suspension upgrades I have done: 1) Helwig helper springs, 2) Helwig larger rear sway bar (with disconnects); 3) airbags in the front; 4) 3 sets of shocks - Ranchos, Bilsteins and Bilsteins; 5) new Deaver spring pack on the rear. I hope to do new springs on the front, the progressive springs mentioned elsewhere look interesting.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Go with a 17 inch wheel - best selection in tires and wheels.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Garage

I run 18's with LT275/70R18 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial tires. Here is my thread about them.
Cheers
Darryl

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=10&t=10805
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
I run 18's with LT275/70R18 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial tires. Here is my thread about them.
Cheers
Darryl

Wow, that looks AWESOME. Is that a Quigley? How does it handle?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

That beautiful van is a Clydesdale Ford Twin-Traction Beam, should ride awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellGuy

Wow, that looks AWESOME. Is that a Quigley? How does it handle?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

Looks like 285/65/18's are widely available, as are rims with a 10mm positive offset. They come in slightly smaller in diameter than what I'm running now, any opinions?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
That beautiful van is a Clydesdale Ford Twin-Traction Beam, should ride awesome!
Just as an FYI, It DOES ride awesome! My wife and I agree that it rides getter that the stock configuration. I Like it.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote