Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #11

Re: New Shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
>>A tire that has some ability to go further than 30K. My BFG-AT's melted away it seemed. Maybe that's normal wear?
I ran a set of BFG M/Ts for 9 years on three vehicles before they wouldn't take a balance. In that time I went through several sets of the "new" (at the time) BFG AT K/O which was an "upgrade" from the old BFG A/T... I don't believe for a minute tire manufacturers couldn't make a long lasting tire... in fact I think they used to, but instead of making them last longer they make them cheaper... that's across the board not just BFG. The big complaint about the Toyo M/T is they wear fast, but mine seem like iron on both the SMB and the Jeep. (~10K and ~22K respectively)

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
The problem I'm having is finding the tires. I'm after 285-75-R16 E's or 305-70-R16 E's in a mud terrain that's not too aggressive.

A few things I'm considering:
>>A tire that is rated well with a good safe track record. Although I never had problems with the two sets of BFG's I've owned, I don't ever want to and too many members have posted problems with them.
>>A tire that has some ability to go further than 30K. My BFG-AT's melted away it seemed. Maybe that's normal wear?
>>Availability. I want to use a dealer where I can get the same tire out of state under a warrantee if possible if a problem ever pops up. Some dealers just don't carry certain brands and I'm finding some model tires are only made in batches. There is a wait for the Nitto Trail Grapplers and none of the dealers around here seem to have them. Wouldn't that be nice on a long trip? Anything made can usually be found at a higher cost but what a hassle.
>>A somewhat quiet ride that performs good on pavement while providing good trail characteristics.
>>Cost factor.
>>Look factor. Hey, the gals gotta have good looking shoes.
As mentioned I had the Nitto terra grapplers 315/75/16 in D rating (original build from SMB) and did not like them at all off road other than maybe a gravel road they did fine. Any traction needed and they lacked in every way.

They lasted maybe to 30k and at that they were almost bald. I made the switch to Toyo MT's prior to winter and am very happy with the switch! I have 305/70/16 in E rating. The Toyo far outperforms the Nitto in traction related performance. Also they are quieter than the Nitto. I am hoping they last longer than 30k but these are heavy rigs so can only hope for the best. Les Schwab is in every small city I seem to travel through here in the NW so dealer support is huge!

I have done the tire rack thing in the past and had a local dealer install. To be honest the cost savings you get when buying is usually spent on install, mount and balance at your local tire place recommended by tire rack. In fact after pricing them both out I think Tire rack was a little more expensive due to the outrageous fees charged by the recommended tire rack installer per tire. However the TOYO are probably the most expensive tires out there and anything would be cheaper.

Here is a pic of my van with the Nitto 315/75/16 in D rating.

Now a pic with the Toyo 305/70/16 in E rating.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Roonie, the TOYO seem to be shorter in the photo. Is that a fact or just my eyes?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #14

I just put a set of the Hankook Dynapro MTs on my rig (315/75/R16E). I wanted to get the Toyo open country MTs but the $100 more per tire changed my mind. So far I have about 700 miles on them - all but about 20 miles on the highway.

I'm happy with 'em so far except that the traction on packed icy snow was pretty bad. Scary bad. Took 'em down to Les Schwab and had them siped. Now it'll probably be another 6 months before I can see how much that helped.

We're off today for a 7-10 day trip to Las Vegas (family visit - I wouldn't get within 100 miles of the place otherwise.) I'll give you all a report on the tires and any other adventures in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Roonie, the TOYO seem to be shorter in the photo. Is that a fact or just my eyes?
That is a fact. Went from Nitto 35" to Toyo 33" (Actually about 34") tires. I lost about 1 1/2 height and about 2 1/12 width on the tire change. I am happy with the change. Before folks always thought the van was huge and now they just think it is big LOL.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #16

FYI

My driving requirements are completely different then the above posts. My van is for highway touring and not off roading (at least not by plan).

Just replaced my Michelin LT225/75R16E tires. They replaced the OEM General tires at 32,567 miles and I just replaced them with a new set of Michelin's at 113,030 miles. So these tires lasted us 80,463 miles and 8 years. Still had tread left but with 8 years considered it time to replace. Doubt if we will ever put another 80k on the van.

Very happy with the tire life. Noise, handling and tread life far superior to the OEM Generals.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #17

Most of my miles are highway miles traveling long distance - Alaska, Florida, Labrador - and then some poor or dirt and gravel roads. The Michelin LTX A/T fit the bill nicely, wear like iron and are quite tough. They may not be the best off road, but 98% of our miles are not off road.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #18

With all the bad press you guys are giving these I went with something a little more conservative. This should improve gas mileage if nothing else.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
With all the bad press you guys are giving these I went with something a little more conservative. This should improve gas mileage if nothing else.

Do you not like the Toyo you already have? What happened to your rims?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #20

I think he's pulling our legs.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote