Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

Re: Not Happy with Advanced 4X4

It is too bad when any company treats people that way...

I would think that anyone in today's world would realize that "Bad News Travels Faster Than Good" can be a problem when it comes to customer service with the internet and forums such as this one...

I can tell you that through my years in the automotive industry when you ask someone about where to get something done you may not have them tell you where to go but they will be more than happy to tell you where NOT to go...

Thanks for letting us know about this Ron...

I am glad you were able to have it repaired even if it was on your dime and time...

...Jamie

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Im just lucky I am able to do some of my own work and have close friends that can do the rest.

If I didn't have any of that I would be stuck having to deal with those guys.

And for that I am great full.

The Van is perfect now, maybe I should have tried to do the hole conversion myself.

What really bugs me the most is that this is a big happy thing building my Unit and the only time I have anyone do something to it It's an unhappy experience and mess's with my chee..

Like I said so far the 4X4 works great they just needed to have a little service after the sale.

I already have had 3 people that live here in Jackson ask me where I got this done and I told them my story. like dave said maybe he dosnt need us small time van guys.

Ron
Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #13

Thanks for all this discussion. I'm still 2x4 and a 4x4 newb but trying my best to learn as much as possible. This is very helpful.

So, maybe a stoopid question: why (and/or when) was the panhard hitting the oil pan? Is this an issue with all conversions or just Advanced or just your model year or ? I looked up panhard on wikipedia (if it isn't there, I don't think it exists ) and understand how it works and why its needed; just trying to understand the details of how they pertain to our SMBs (and hopefully future 4x4 conversion) and the subsequent issues...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancypants
Thanks for all this discussion. I'm still 2x4 and a 4x4 newb but trying my best to learn as much as possible. This is very helpful.

So, maybe a stoopid question: why (and/or when) was the panhard hitting the oil pan? Is this an issue with all conversions or just Advanced or just your model year or ? I looked up panhard on wikipedia (if it isn't there, I don't think it exists ) and understand how it works and why its needed; just trying to understand the details of how they pertain to our SMBs (and hopefully future 4x4 conversion) and the subsequent issues...
One thing to remember is that the only stoopid question is an unasked one. Another thing is that Rons van is a Chevy (or GMC) so its much more custom built than most Ford van conversions would be.

Not all conversions use Panhard rods/bars. In the old days of 4x4 when everything was leaf springs only no one had them but as time went one and trucks needed to handle better they became more common. With a coil spring conversion they are a must have while on a leaf spring conversion its a nice to have thing. The problem with vans is since they were never designed from the factory to have a straight axle or to be four wheel drive there is not as much clearance to have things like Panhard Bars and Crossover steering. Unfortunately sometimes its hard to know if something is going to hit until after the vehicle is used off road a bit. If the van is only street driven the bar may never have hit anything. The more travel something has the more something is going to hit or at least interfere.

Hope that helps...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #15

Ah! Thanks Jamie. Forgot that it isn't a Ford. Ok, that makes a big difference, at least I would imagine it would.

Question: the panhard may hit the oil pan when the springs are in compression (i.e. going over a rock rather than coming off a rock), correct?

So then, is it typical for the Ford conversion to get a panhard? Sounds like the start of a bad joke...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancypants
Ah! Thanks Jamie. Forgot that it isn't a Ford. Ok, that makes a big difference, at least I would imagine it would.

Question: the panhard may hit the oil pan when the springs are in compression (i.e. going over a rock rather than coming off a rock), correct?

So then, is it typical for the Ford conversion to get a panhard? Sounds like the start of a bad joke...
You are correct under compression is when things are most likely to hit although sometimes its when one side goes up and the other side goes down...

I would think most Ford conversions have them as standard or at least as an option...

I am not going there with that joke but it sure could be one...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Also my van Has the Dura Max engine and the oil pan is big, Part of my bitch is it only had 1/2 inch clearance after they were done so it hit going in to my driveway.

It should have been noticed at time of install.

Ron

it stops death wobble
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #18

The early SMB 4x4 system did not require the AMSOIL oil bypass system and as it turned out extreme compression on the front driver side (passenger rear wheel off the ground) caused the front u-joint to contact the oil filter housing lip and crush it on the 6.0 PSD. I proved this and drove 100 miles not knowing it. It did not start leaking till it cooled down in my drive way. The engine was so new that Ford did not have replacement parts available yet so I had to put on the AMSOIL system which obviously was the smart thing to do anyway. Well except for the fact the the next 22K miles I had almost no oil filtration because of the SMB reverse flow debacle with their conversion kit. There is no winning! Just enjoy the hell out of it until it breaks.
Pat being philosophical.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #19

Good to hear.

I had contacted Randy a while ago for a quote on a full conversion but after reading this and some more on other forums I decided to go with UJOR where Chris was able to spend the time on the phone with me to get me started. I did take the time though to reply to Randy to let him know I wasn't going with him and linked this post to my email as well... It's only fair he knows he lost more than one customers!

Cheers,
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi
Good to hear.

I had contacted Randy a while ago for a quote on a full conversion but after reading this and some more on other forums I decided to go with UJOR where Chris was able to spend the time on the phone with me to get me started. I did take the time though to reply to Randy to let him know I wasn't going with him and linked this post to my email as well... It's only fair he knows he lost more than one customers!

Cheers,
Mr. D
You made my day. I'm glad someone finally decided against that Utah hack
and went elsewhere. From what I've seen and heard Chris at Ujoint is a
stand up guy. I've talked to him a couple times about my van and he was
always polite and willing to chat even though my van was converted elsewhere.
If you are a do it yourself guy and wind up getting your own axle at least you
know what you have. And from the looks of what Chris offers for axles you will be
getting better than new. Good luck to you. Steve.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote