Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #11

There must be something going on with this particular rig to be causing the problems. My van and my Dodge dually both have the NV271 transfer case, as did my previous pickup and never had a problem. Nor have I heard any of my friends or coworkers complaining about the transfer cases on their rigs.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

Totally anecdotal evidence of the NV271 stoutness, but for reasons I won't elaborate on I was driving around with my NV271 in 4hi for about 25k miles. I recently pulled it and had the case opened, everything inside looked fine and they only replaced the seals and added new Motorcraft transfer case fluid.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #13

NV 271s are in all kinds of things including rigs much heavier than that. I think you just had a random failure.

Chris has them rebuilt somewhere. I wonder if they’ll warranty it?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #14

Nightmare is going to be out of commission for a while. Awesome! Sounds like I have to send in the TC to the folks UJ sources their TCs from (transfer case express)for inspection for the warranty which sounds like to me I'm SOL! Regardless if it is something caused by something else within the rig I think it all a started with the orginal work UJ performed or done by those they outsourced the work too. That has been the theme since I p/u the van last August. From them forgetting two nuts on the bolts of the sway bar. Too the steering arm grinding on the sway bar. To the coils rubbing on the rail of the frame. I could keep going!
Nothing stock Ford or work done by CCV, or myself has caused any issues. Since it's going to be down for awhile if anyone has any suggestion on what I should have the mechanics look at as possible underlying cause please and I mean please! chime in. It's hard to find really much info since everyone states the NV271is stronger than superman's balls and just
doesn't fail.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #15

Wow, just going to air out everything w/o concerns...
Understood the emotions but keeping in check is important too.

What if UJOR saw this and decided to say you are on your own?
At least I see from what you say in this thread they keep offering...

Public bashing before issue has solution... unfair imho.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #16

I believe I have kept things more than in check over the last 11 months. The amount of issues that have come up have been overwhelming and saddening for the time, money, effort & love I have invested into the van. I believed when I took possession and paid $$$$$ that I was receiving a more than worthy on-road and off-road capable vehicle. That has not been the case.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
I believed when I took possession and paid $$$$$ that I was receiving a more than worthy on-road and off-road capable vehicle.
I don’t think that’s unreasonable... but shit happens. The important thing is hopefully Chris will make it right.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #18

If you don't have the time or wherewithal to deal with this then just go source an NV271 from a local yard. I think I paid $350 for one recently with less than 100k and it was fine. I had it checked out by my tranny guy when he did my tranny. You'll pay more than this to ship one to Ujoint!

Stronger than Superman's balls. Hmmm. That's pretty strong.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Stronger than Superman's balls. Hmmm. That's pretty strong.
That is pretty strong however the strongest material known thus far is The Incredible Hulks pants. Even Chuck Norris respects it.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #20

Transfer Case Express, Inc. · New, rebuilt transfer cases ( transfercase ). Lowest prices. Locations: California, South Carolina, Texas. World-wide delivery is sending me a new TC today. They first told me the warranty on it was voided because my mechanic cracked it open. But after pleading my case and looking for some sympathy they are sending a new one and I just have to pay for the shipping plus the labor I guess. Chris being a good customer of theirs probably helped as well. So props to him. I'm still trying to figure out what caused the failure and advice on what I and the mechanic should inspect before bolting the new one back on.. Would having rear lockers being engaged earlier in the day. Maybe the locker isn't installed correctly? Putting the trans in 1st gear with the Tcase in 4low during a mile stretch? I always go into N when shifting the 4x4 shifter. The floor was feeling a little hot in front of the doghouse. I really have only engaged 4x4 less than 10 times the last 11 months. The 1st time i ever did the hubs squeaked unbelievably it was unbearable had to turn back off Cinnamon Pass. But later on that day I had to go romping in some mud and water in 4wheel to get to this camp spot and the sound never returned. IDK if any of this correlates to the Tcase I'm just thinking of things I've noticed and conditions I have operated it in.