Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #21

Pulling and replacing the T-case is rather easy, save yourself some $
Of course it's easier to lift with two people

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #22

I don't have answers, rather, some places (that your average mechanic) wouldn't think to look at.

I'd look for something systematic... Drive shaft too long and bottoming out against the T-Case under full suspension compression? Wrong coupler between the t-case and trans, bottoming out the splines ever-so-slightly when joining the transmission to t-case, goes into a slight bind when tightening the last few thread turns.

T-case failure when shifting from forward to reverse, makes me think of the T-Case shifter getting knocked out of engagement, as the engine torque rolls the engine and trans, from one side to the other. If the shifter knocks it out of engagement under load, it will roll the teeth over on the engagement sleeve and selector gear.

You really need a better description from the guy who took it apart, if he is able (80% of mechanics out there are terrible at doing 'root cause' analysis/diagnosis, for several reasons. Rather, most will just look for broken shit inside, replace it, collect $$$ and send it down the road)

I feel your pain, and hope you get it sorted out.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #23

I did a write up on diagnosing and repairing my t-case here:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ure-20947.html

A different model than yours, but Borg-Warner and NP/NV are all about the same inside, from the hours of research I've done.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #24

Pretty ballsy to take your van on Black Bear. Wowza...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #25

Thanks Tomsbeast. Shop Received the new TC today. I went in and talked to the mechanic for a really long time the other day. Showed me the blown TC cracked open and what failed. He went over the whole intricacies of the unit how they refab them. Basically very knowledgeable. He's dumbfounded as to why it failed. I'm not an expert on the terminology of the parts inside a TC but a large pcs was dislodged when I tried to go from Drive-Reverse, and another pcs wasn't sitting properly flush and why I was stuck in N. He has the same TC in 2 of his monster F350s. Use to use them in some of his huge Rcokcrawlers. Swears by them. He says he has gone over the DS,trans,CVs everything. Everything checked out. He builds huge rock crawlers, services all vehicle imaginable even services these local SMB rentals Sportsmobile Rental in Durango Colorado - Tonto Trails and has built a few Ujoints kits for customers. His conclusion is it was a bad refab. Hopefully he is right! Next trip is baja in the next few weeks and a little nervous.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #26

Opie...We were on the Tride side going up to the Powerhouse at the top of Bridal Veil Falls. Wouldn't even consider coming from the other side in any vehicle anymore. Done that don't need to do it again. If a Subaru outback or any stock SUV can make it to the top of the falls I would hope that a 4x4 van would be capable.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
Next trip is baja in the next few weeks and a little nervous.
Baja in August? Good god man, I hope you like it hot!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #28

Hey keytothestone, First sorry for your Issues. 2nd your van was with Ujoint when I was having them Redo My SK Van. Mine is a 1996 Original 4x4, I had Chris replace Front and Rear Axles for new Updated Sterling , New SSBC Breaks all around and Boat loads more. And Yea mine is Leaf Sprung.

Chis is a Stand up guy and will not leave you hanging.. If he or his guys were in the loop then I would not be concerned about Chris making good.

I will Say that Chris has a lot on his plate and some times we all ask way to much of him.. He does not like to say no..

For me After I picked up my Van I had some issues with a few items that shoudl have been replaced but were missed. Transmission's Mount while it looked ok, it was way to old and worn out.. It allowed lots a vibration into the TC and the Trans. These Vibrations Tried to separate the Transmission on my way home from Ujoint to the West Coast. (What a Mess)

In Arkansas I discovered the Mount was allowing so much vibration that it caused the TC to leak Fluid. I had to Reseal the TC to Trans and then I was on my way.. Not until New Mexico did I discover that the Trans Mount was the issue as my Vibrations got much worse on the way.

Once in NM Chris Arranged for a shop to Replace the Old Trans mount And that Fixed it right up.

Yea I asked Ujoint to Swap the mount when they had there hands on it.. IT was over looked because it looked fine. No Wear Damage on the mount.. But after 22 years it was very soft and could not handle the Vibrations any longer.

You might be experiencing a failure of this type that allowed to much stress on your TC / Transmission. Consider replacement of your Trans Mount and your Motor Mounts when you are getting it fixed.

Remember these vans were never designed to do what we make them do. They are much heaver than the average 4x4 truck. Every Bump you hit is a Vibration that works it way into every part of the van.

Also yes yours is Heavy . My Van Weighs in Empty at 6800 Pounds. Its a Standard Body , No Pop top. I have B/W 1356 PTO Chain Drive Transfer Case that did use a Slip Yolk, Ujoint had it Adapted with a CV Yolk to remove the Slip Yolk that Salem Kroger used in the Day.

Good Luck Keep us Posted.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #29

I am also running a 1356 for over 13 years no issues, God willing. My van has had issues with the t case not wanting to disengage. My rock dual transfer case Cherokee also has a disengage problem when you run lockers front and rear this is the results, especially on hard pack and switch backs. I usually disengage to make turns and only re-engage when needed! As far as the 271 yes bullit proof I could not fit mine when I did the conversion, poor me. but the 1356 is a stout micro compared. I may put an Atlas if this fails but until then!
Your van is quite heavy so you should have already installed air bags for the support. They make tall ones for travel and you can always deflate off road for less camber lean.
Chris is a great guy met him when he was first starting up. He was doing leaf builds I wanted coils added to the leaf spring axle since Ford had not come out with the radius arm front end yet. I wanted a smooth ride having owned smooth F150's and buck board 350's. The only thing I do not like on his kit is the crossmember surgery and pan hard bar mount, but again it is a kit so any one to install. I did my build befor this kit came out but I cut the cross member like he does but platted it and tied that plate into the pan hard mount. I really have no fear of the mount bolts shearing or loosening because it is welded.
Really sorry to hear about your problems but seems like your dialed in! I went to College in Durango and sorry I ever left. As far as Baja YEAH good luck been there on Bay of conception in August all the way to Todos SAntos Los Barriles and Cabo several times. Scorchers, and the water in in Bay of C was hotter than the temp, so it felt!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #30

OK, I never got a chance to post this past summer, but I've experienced one going out too. It was a work truck, and I wasn't driving, I just had to rescue my guy, and then later tow the F550 from San Jose to Portland.

This was on the freeway at 70 MPH, not towing. Empty truck weight 9500 pounds (diesel 4x4 with a CM hauler bed). Driver felt a vibration like a flat tire, let of the throttle, and a few seconds later, felt an explosion under his feet.

The entire T-case completely exploderated. At first, we thought the front driveline came out causing the damage, but this on its own didn't make sense, since the hubs were unlocked in the T-case was in 2WD. Best I could figure out is that it ran out of oil (it has a slow leak evident by dirt buildup and there were no records of it ever being serviced) and it self-engaged the front driveline and eventually spun a bearing. Plus, I never saw any Transmission fluid on the ground. All the wet stuff turned out to be diesel, since it took out the fuel lines and chassis wiring in the process. All in was about $12,000 in repairs. Luckily the transmission wasn't damaged.

Anyways, I decided to post this now because of the speculation that the OPs T-case was affected by prior transmission work. IMO, potentially it could be. Not because of the transmission itself, but if a seal were damaged sometimes during the R&R process, and the fluid slowly leaked out, his failure could be explained by running dry as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5459.jpg   IMG_5502.jpg