Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #21

Well, here`s what I`ve found out about my tank. I drove it down until the low fuel light came on and then drove another 8 miles and filled up with 25 gallons. I then drove home, 27 miles or about 2 gallons used. At that point I filled up with 3 gallons from a gas can then went 200yrds to the gas station and was able to fill (very, very slowly, it took me 5 to 10 minutes) another 3 gallons until it topped off and I could see gas in the neck, just about overflowing. So, from what I figure, my tank holds 29 gallons AFTER the low fuel light comes on.
The only thing that I don`t know now is how much gas I have in reserve after the fuel light comes on. I guess the only way I can figure that out for sure is to just run it completely dry and fill up. Anyone have any thoughts about what that reserve capacity may be?
Also, I am pretty sure that the gas tank was cut down to accommodate the transfer case. I'm not positive about that but it does look like it was cut and then welded to shorten it up.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #22

Garage
Safe bet. Carry two Jerry's. Expect 300. Know you get 10 mph up hill, down hill or with a head or tail wind. Once the Low Fuel light comes on - fill up within 50 miles or carry a bicycle. My gauge drops rapidly from full to 3/4 tank. Ramsey, who did my conversion, told me he cut 5 gallons off so I know I've got 30. Guessing you've got the same.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #23

Yes; it was definitely cut down. I remember seeing one on the ground. And respecting the welding; not easy to do.

And Nimzero makes a good point; the gauge is non linear. I can't remember if it was before the tank was cut down as well, but it seems to be. I've used my Scan Gauge instead to measure actual gas used instead, yet another reason to have one.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 AM   #24

I have a '96 Salem Kroger conversion as well...except agileoffroad.com installed the TTB in it last year.

Anyway, aside from ride quality, I have zero complaints with SK. I did a lot of hard wheeling with the Dana 44 and never had a problem with it.

When my gauge hits "E", I have a solid 40 miles left, and my van sucks the fuel down. Just bring a can and run it dry. I'm pretty sure it's a 34 gallon tank, maybe 36.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #25

If it makes you guys feel better, my V10 only goes 330 miles on a tank normally, with its stock 35 gal tanks (I did get 36.5 in there once, but I strongly suspected some gas station fraud. Chicago and all....)

And when I have the trailer hooked up, its more like 220. Maybe 250 if i go the speed limit and there's no headwinds.

There are some areas in eastern oregon and northern nevada where open fuel stations can be 200+ miles apart if you come through at night. Even during the day there's some stretches that's get you nervous
Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #26

After all of my concern about how big my tank is and what my range will be I`ve finally come to the conclusion of how to deal with it. I was realizing that for the last 6 years I`ve been doing all of my tent camping, month long trips, out of the back of a RAV 4. The RAV has a 14 gal tank and 25MPG, so my range is about 350. If I figure I have a 29 gal tank and get 12 MPH with my Sportmobile then that puts me at exactly the same range 348 vs.350. So, what am I going to do? Nothing, just stop worrying about it as I've never even considered it a problem in the past.... Well, that and carrying an extra Jerry can of course, I am paranoid about running out of gas as you can see.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #27

I am the original owner of a SK 1996 E250 4x4. (80,000 miles) It has been very good all of these years. Yes the Ride is harsh, Yes it has Dana 60's and the SK workmanship was 2nd to none at the time. I am considering revamping the Suspension, and am looking at Shops that can do a good job.

P.S. My Salem Kroger 1/4 Steel Gas tank hold 31 gallons. And it has no baffles. So I always have a few gallons of gas that the Pickup can not get to. Gas gauge also is not very accurate at below a 1/4 tank.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I have a '96 Salem Kroger conversion as well...except agileoffroad.com installed the TTB in it last year.

Anyway, aside from ride quality, I have zero complaints with SK. I did a lot of hard wheeling with the Dana 44 and never had a problem with it.

When my gauge hits "E", I have a solid 40 miles left, and my van sucks the fuel down. Just bring a can and run it dry. I'm pretty sure it's a 34 gallon tank, maybe 36.

So how do you like that TTB ? I have been looking at that as an option for my 1996 SK 4x4. How do you feel it is compared to the Dana 60 ? Do you need to Align it etc? Please let me know. I did Talk with Agile, but He's is not to forthcoming with info. Kind of Annoying as I am one of the Granddaddy's with 4x4 Van. SK and Quigley Brought all of this "New" work to these new shops. Its really hard to find a good shop that responds.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
So how do you like that TTB ? I have been looking at that as an option for my 1996 SK 4x4. How do you feel it is compared to the Dana 60 ? Do you need to Align it etc? Please let me know. I did Talk with Agile, but He's is not to forthcoming with info. Kind of Annoying as I am one of the Granddaddy's with 4x4 Van. SK and Quigley Brought all of this "New" work to these new shops. Its really hard to find a good shop that responds.
Are you looking at getting the whole front end replaced with Agile's kit or just new springs and shocks? Not sure what type of info you're asking John at Agile, but I would imagine most shops aren't going to give you specifics as far as springs rates, shock valving, etc. since that's what makes them unique.

Ridge wheels his van harder than anyone else I've seen on this forum. From his trip reports and pics, the TTB is very capable. I haven't used my 4x4 system at all yet, but hoping to change that soon. I can tell you it rides infinitely better than the Quigley I had.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Are you looking at getting the whole front end replaced with Agile's kit or just new springs and shocks? Not sure what type of info you're asking John at Agile, but I would imagine most shops aren't going to give you specifics as far as springs rates, shock valving, etc. since that's what makes them unique.

Ridge wheels his van harder than anyone else I've seen on this forum. From his trip reports and pics, the TTB is very capable. I haven't used my 4x4 system at all yet, but hoping to change that soon. I can tell you it rides infinitely better than the Quigley I had.
I really dont need to toss my Dana 60 But as we all know the Short Leaf Springs make the Ride very harsh. So I am really looking to Soften up the Ride. When I had my Van Built I went with Salem Kroger because it was doing Heavy lifting at the time and the Front Leaf Springs were a must. Also I like the Fact that SK used only Ford parts in the conversion.

Today I need to soften up the ride and make it more RV friendly . I would love to take it out on real road trips. Camping etc. But it must be softer. If she is fully loaded then she rids nice.. So I see my Options are Agile and the Dana 50 TTb or I work with UJOR and Get his Front Leaf Springs setup and possibly the newer Danna 60 setup he is running.

When I reached out to Agile he responded very fast. But I followed up with simply questions about How he does his conversions. etc and if he had any other ideas to to keep my Leafs and Relocate them etc. He simply told me to look at his Site for Pics. LOL. Of curse I have done that.

My Gut tells me to stick with the straight Axle upfront. But I would love to know how the TTB Dana 50 Holds up and how much Extra Weight his Van Takes on normally. Mine really is a cargo van but I am working on making it more of a pleasure van.

Thanks for your input!