Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Garage
OX Lockers - anyone run one?

Currently shopping around/researching rear-axle lockers that will work with my Dana 60 semi-floating (c-clip) 35-spline rear axle.
The list of options is very short.

It sounds like there is basically:
1) ARB Air locker
2) "OX Locker" Cable-driven locker (or air....or electric, these options exist)
3) Some sort of Auburn locker (not positive about this one.)

Anyone here have an experience with / opinions / advice relative to the OX Lockers?
On paper they sound awesome. Super-simple cable-driven locker mechanism (lever located somewhere in the driver compartment of your choice.)

FWIW, the idea of a dead-simple, mechanical cable-driven locker mechanism appeals to me, (especially reading the anecdotal tales of air-locker on-the-trail issues with air lines/pumps/seals/solenoids etc.) It sounds like even if the OX Locker's actuation cable somehow does fail, there's a small tool/fitting that allows you to crawl underneath the van, twist the fitting into place, and engage/disengage the locker manually on the trail in under 90 seconds.

OX Locker for the Dana 60 c-clip 35-spline axle:
Dana 60 4.10 DN c-clip 35 spline - OX USA

For anyone who hasn't heard about them (like myself, until about a week ago) ---
OX Locker has been around for a while, and although it sounds like the early versions had some issues with their cable-actuation mechanism, more recent reviews are pretty positive that subsequent re-engineering/redesign has thoroughly addressed these issues in the last 5 years or so.

>>> Any OX Locker-equipped SMB's (or other rigs) in any of your garages/driveways out there?
<<<

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

I don't know anything about lockers.. Except I might consider upgrading to a full-float before spending money on a semi-float D60.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Garage
I run a Spartan locker in mine and have installed one in another rig. They work well, but are noisy. You have to machine one of the inner plates for c-clip access, but the install is a fairly simple job.

It should also be mentioned that I spoke with Yukon about a locker in the van's Dana 60 and they were certain it was not a c-clip axle...My words of advice is be careful what you buy without doing research first.

I see no good reason to run the full float rear end in the van unless you are far over the weight rating and/or beat the van hard offroad. The upgrade also downgrades the axle spline count from 35 to 32 splines making locker choices even more limited. Just my $0.02.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20151017_123937-1.jpg   20151017_115758-2.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Currently shopping around/researching rear-axle lockers that will work with my Dana 60 semi-floating (c-clip) 35-spline rear axle.
The list of options is very short.

It sounds like there is basically:
1) ARB Air locker
2) "OX Locker" Cable-driven locker (or air....or electric, these options exist)
3) Some sort of Auburn locker (not positive about this one.)

Anyone here have an experience with / opinions / advice relative to the OX Lockers?
On paper they sound awesome. Super-simple cable-driven locker mechanism (lever located somewhere in the driver compartment of your choice.)

FWIW, the idea of a dead-simple, mechanical cable-driven locker mechanism appeals to me, (especially reading the anecdotal tales of air-locker on-the-trail issues with air lines/pumps/seals/solenoids etc.) It sounds like even if the OX Locker's actuation cable somehow does fail, there's a small tool/fitting that allows you to crawl underneath the van, twist the fitting into place, and engage/disengage the locker manually on the trail in under 90 seconds.

OX Locker for the Dana 60 c-clip 35-spline axle:

For anyone who hasn't heard about them (like myself, until about a week ago) ---
OX Locker has been around for a while, and although it sounds like the early versions had some issues with their cable-actuation mechanism, more recent reviews are pretty positive that subsequent re-engineering/redesign has thoroughly addressed these issues in the last 5 years or so.

>>> Any OX Locker-equipped SMB's (or other rigs) in any of your garages/driveways out there?
<<<

Can you post a photo of the tag on the rear end (located on the passenger side of the diff cover) so we know a bit more about the Dana part number?

Scott
Old 09-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I don't know anything about lockers.. Except I might consider upgrading to a full-float before spending money on a semi-float D60.
Thanks rallypanam --- the thought has definitely crossed my mind / been part of the consideration.
Were I running around in an EB van and carrying a ton of stuff/gear, I'd be shopping for a full-float axle to swap in for sure.

But ---
Since my van is a lightly-built E250/2WD RB with a curb weight of only 7000 pounds (3500 pounds per axle), I'm less needy about going to a heavier-duty axle. (If it ain't broke....well, hey, maybe that's the wrong metaphor here, lol....)

My van's build will very similar to forum member MacMcintire ; an Action-Van 2WD lift on a light-build RB. Mac has an ARB locker built into his rig's rear axle, and I'm guessing (unless his van is unique) he's got the same semi-float Dana 60.

(Must say that even ignoring the greater load-bearing strength, a full-float would be fantastic just to have a wider variety of options for rear lockers/automatic diffs! But for actual functional build needs (and budget) the semi-float sounds like it should be just fine. (If anyone feels strongly otherwise, please advise!))

At this point, my main consideration is choosing an ideal rear diff locker from the limited choices.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Can you post a photo of the tag on the rear end (located on the passenger side of the diff cover) so we know a bit more about the Dana part number?

Scott
Scott, sure no problem!
I pulled numbers from the axle a couple days ago.

Axle Tag is apparently long-gone/missing, so instead had to read carefully the stamped-in-the-right-axle-tube "bill of material" (BOM) number.

It is: 605700-3
(By the way, this is a 1995 E250 with the 5.8/E4OD.)
Old 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Garage
Direct from the Dana Catalog it states

605700-3 95-96 E250 Van SRW Semi Float W ABS

Unfortunately, i have the catalog that details only Dana products 1999 and newer. Afraid this post was a bit of a reiteration of what you know...

Scott
Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

From this source Dana 60 BOM Numbers | Dana 60 Identification

605700-3 Dana 60HD '95-'96 (Ford) Rear 3.73 4.10- 35 Sp. C-Clip
Old 09-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the axle ID confirmation guys.

Still hoping for anyone who's able to speak to the OX Lockers.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #10

Garage
Hey, figured I would update this thread in case anyone else was curious about the "OX Locker" rear differentials.

At last count, I couldn't find anyone here on the forum who had any speakable experience with em....so I instead spent a couple months reading as much as I could about them on other 4WD forums, read the reviews from magazines, spoke on the phone to one of their reps about their product.....

....and then I took a chance --- and went and had one installed by Larry at Full-Tilt Off-Road (San Clemente) in the rear axle when it was re-geared to 4:10 for the 33" tires.

What's pretty cool is that OX is one of only a handful of choices that are available for the 35-spline semi-float (c-clip) version of the Dana 60 rear.

OX Locker Product Page:

(What's also cool: It's made in the USA! )

I think the only other options for these particular fairly-common-under-E-series-van semi-float rear axles are the well-known ARB Air-locker or the simple mechanical lockers discussed earlier in this thread (or the factory clutch-pack-operated LSD.) So it's pretty cool knowing that there is at least one other option for a true "on-demand / push-a-button-and-lock-it" style rear locker for these axles.

What finally sold me on this OX Locker vs. an ARB air-locker:
It's the way in which the locker actuates: It is purely mechanical.

They offer three styles of "actuators" (manual cable-driven, electric, or air-driven) --- but they all essentially do the same thing: push a mechanical cable in/out of the diff case to engage the locking mechanism.

It's a simple, robust system. And if somehow the actuator linkage between the cab and the rear axle malfunctions....there's a failsafe: For $25, you can buy a simple "drive-away lock" tool that lets you crawl under the rear of the vehicle and manually lock/unlock the diff in about a minute or two. No getting stuck on the trail with a locker that won't engage due to a faulty air-pump or leaking air line.

Drive-away Lock tool:

I've only tried the OX locker out once so far, and that was in a spot where the locker really wasn't truly necessary to get proper traction, but I can say that it definitely locks/unlocks swiftly and positively.

Looking forward to more testing!