Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
Tom Did the folks at Dynatrac called that the ProRoc 60?

I'm not sure which vendor SMB was using for front axles, but them purchasing direct from Dynatrac's lineup sounds likely, which one they used should be in your paperwork.

BTW, you can add Dynatrac's hub assembly to most Dana 60 knuckles, not just Dynatrac's remanufactured Dana axle assemblies, which is the direction a lot of the truck guys move after replacing a few bad Dana unit wheel bearing assemblies. Spintec is another brand I've come across, which is a little cheaper, not sure of the quality. At the point a guy has switched to an aftermarket hub and bearing assy, the hub, spindle, bearings and seals are Dyna proprietary, which is just as well, because the Dana unit bearing design, with close together inner and outer bearings, non-servicable bearings, is crap, in my opinion.

Knowing which year they started with on yours would be handy, for sourcing balljoints, as I think Dana made some small changes to the "C" and the knuckle set during the lifecycle of a particular year range. Dana also made some small changes to the center section, which would also be handy to know.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #22

Quote:
BronchoHauler Good point. In my case I had the entire front end surveyed by a mechanic I trust. it appears that when I am towing (additional weight on rear) down hill that is more than 6% it changes the camber and caster. Applying the brakes triggers the death wobble when towing but if I am not towing it does not happen. I was fully aware that our modified suspensions often have death wobble. Just wish I would have done the smart thing and installed the steering stabilizer long ago.
As I have said in many post death wobble is a camber caster toe in/out issue and that alone! The easiest solution on leaf sprung is perch shims, next eccentric ball joints, next cut and turn your "C"s Radius arm eccentric bushings, next adjustable arms/links, next cut and turn "C"s That is all you can do for front axles. A stabilizer will do nothing to COMPLETELY eliminate death wobble!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I'm not sure which vendor SMB was using for front axles, but them purchasing direct from Dynatrac's lineup sounds likely, which one they used should be in your paperwork.

BTW, you can add Dynatrac's hub assembly to most Dana 60 knuckles, not just Dynatrac's remanufactured Dana axle assemblies, which is the direction a lot of the truck guys move after replacing a few bad Dana unit wheel bearing assemblies. Spintec is another brand I've come across, which is a little cheaper, not sure of the quality. At the point a guy has switched to an aftermarket hub and bearing assy, the hub, spindle, bearings and seals are Dyna proprietary, which is just as well, because the Dana unit bearing design, with close together inner and outer bearings, non-servicable bearings, is crap, in my opinion.

Knowing which year they started with on yours would be handy, for sourcing balljoints, as I think Dana made some small changes to the "C" and the knuckle set during the lifecycle of a particular year range. Dana also made some small changes to the center section, which would also be handy to know.

It is almost cheaper to start fresh to locate parts house carrier for old king pin and even early ball joint inner/outter "C"S and bite the bullit. If Dynatracs are that crappy. I rather spend $3000.00 beefing up a unibearing late model axle than go out in the boonies with Chinese pot metal spindles and bearings.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Tom Did the folks at Dynatrac called that the ProRoc 60? My front diff was installed in 2004 and I think the label was ProRoc 60. I was told that the Dana 60 front axles came from the mid 90s Bronco 4X4s which would be stock before Dynatrac did the modifications. I think.... Its just my feeble memory that may be making this up. If someone knows for sure please correct me.
I can't speak for the Dynatrac portion, but 80-96 full-size Bronco front suspension is a TTB setup with a Dana 44, not a Dana 60 solid axle.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I can't speak for the Dynatrac portion, but 80-96 full-size Bronco front suspension is a TTB setup with a Dana 44, not a Dana 60 solid axle.
To add to Kibo: the mid 90's Bronco is 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and the spindles, bearings, rotors ect... are not interchangeable with Dana 60's. Also some F250's came with Dana 50 front ends. These outters may work but I do not have enough info to pass on.