Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #11

A Gear-Wrench makes that job MUCH easier. Really not a big deal at all, and if a shop says otherwise... find a new shop.

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
A Gear-Wrench makes that job MUCH easier. Really not a big deal at all, and if a shop says otherwise... find a new shop.
I thought that as well. Right up until I had the shock all the way on and couldn't get the gear wrench off, because there wasn't enough room above the shock stem.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #13

Hmmm.... I guess that's where the "YMMV" comes in, depends on the specific shock. If the stem is on the same end as the shock body (not the shaft) you can hold the nut stationary on top with an open end while turning the shock body with a strap wrench. In the case of the stem conversion though, if the wrench fits over it installed (since the goal is loosening/removing) you're good to go.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

Well I guess we are bunch of morons here between myself and another buddy never thought about going from the side! Was under the van for hrs trying anything and everything to get that nut off or just to get the eliminator to move. My next move was to bang the heck out of the shock and or eliminator as another member mentioned, but was hoping to salvage the shock for a rebuild and custom valve. After the weekend will give it a go with the wrench and torque bar from the side. Thanks MadScience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
That nut is a pain, but a rack won't make a difference in access.

The best way I found is to come in with a wrench from the side above the tire while standing next to the van. Then it's mostly slow going, but at least you don't have to pull it all the way off.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
The stem eliminator has rotated, take the nut loose up top, rotate the mount, re tighten the upper nut on top of the x-member.
Correct: The mount is an after market or Ujoint produced, basically an adapter to convert to a EB type shock upper mount. Most Jeeps like XJ MJs and mainly all Fords used stem mount upper shock mounts. These brackets are the quick and coast effective solution to be able to use a wide arrange of shocks whether for longer lengths or suspension tuning type shocks! Take a big Crescent wrench or pipe wrench and just rotate it.
ALSO, honestly if it was BIG O tire that gave you that info I would not even drive by there again for even an air fill up. That was the worse scamming answer I have heard. That was a shop or mechanic looking to line their pockets with your money by suggesting, 1st that it was a PIA and second having to cut and redo the mount. Unbelievable!

EDIT:
Sorry I did not read all responses prior to responding!
EDIT II:
While I'm at it if you have access to a welder put a couple tack welds on them to avoid rotation in the future. Although not crucial, the shock mounts should be turned towards which ever direction your axle is articulating the most. If your really leaning the van side to side like on rough trails the bolt should face front to back, if axle goes straight up and down then face it side to side if both equal leave them at a 45*. As I said it is not crucial just alot easier on the shock bushing. Stem mounts allow for 360* movement!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #16

Looks like a socket may fit. If yes, impact driver!

In my old age, I use my impact driver almost exclusively anymore. No more busted knuckles.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #17

Yep was a little disappointed with Big Os assessment for sure. Ive known the manager for 20 + yrs just really surprised. Got the new shocks on on Mon. The stem eliminator nut was a super PIA. Going in from the side from the wheel well was the only option. Even then not easy. Having another person helped keeping wrench in place. Really no room for a leverage bar and absolutely no room for a socket or especially an impact. Impact though has been a real luxury for other jobs! I guess I just assumed the worse on the mount after speaking with the big o folks. After replacing the axle housing,tailhouse,x-memeber,drive shaft, a hub and now this this summer. Plus adding up all my receipts the other day and seeing how much $ I have dropped replacing/fixing most of the work performed by the converter since I p/u my van in Aug 2017 I just assume the worst on any work they performed and jumped the gun in this instance.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #18

Garage
Disappointed with Big O as well, but glad you got it resolved. Sucks to fix converter work, but these days seems it is not uncommon.