Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

Passanger rear shock mount was installed backwards?

Have a blown shock was attempting to replace myself, but the passenger one that is blown I couldn't get any tools into to remove the shock from the upper mount. Finally figured out that the passenger mount is different from the drivers. Had no problem removing driver side shock bolts. So drove to the local Big O they confirmed my assumption that the passanger mount was installed wrong during conversion and to replace the shock it's going to be a big PIA (have to cut bolt or maybe even the mount)? and the mount will need to be adjusted to correct position. Was istalling the mount this way purposeful? Is their reasoning behind it? Or just another blunder? Top pic is driver's correctly installed bottom pic incorrect installation.
Attached Thumbnails
20190821_181709.jpg   20190821_181807.jpg  

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Please edit your post to show what year, make and model you're seeking help with. Who converted it---4x4 etc is most helpful too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

Whoops 2014 Ford E350 5.4 Ujoint did the conversion, but it's coil.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

The stem eliminator has rotated, take the nut loose up top, rotate the mount, re tighten the upper nut on top of the x-member.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Interesting; I had installed similar brackets, and a well respected socal shop explicitly had me switch back to stem mount shocks.

I had installed them after pulling rubber grommets from cheap shocks though the mount. They switched me to fox shocks that have a substantial enough grommet so that that issue disappears.

I believe the reasoning for eliminating the brackets was to stick with as close to the Ford design as possible, while also allowing for a slightly longer shock.

That said, I was sort of cursing this decision when I did the actual swap, since the brackets really do make swapping the shocks much easier.

All that said, your van is different from mine, and I assume that UJOINT had a good reason to use the brackets. After all, they are an additional part.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #6

We use the stem eliminantors because it opens up shock options drastically, especially for the 6" and taller lifts. It also makes changing shocks MUCH easier in the future. There are no negatives in my opinion.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
We use the stem eliminantors because it opens up shock options drastically, especially for the 6" and taller lifts. It also makes changing shocks MUCH easier in the future. There are no negatives in my opinion.
Thank you for sharing your rationale!

I was guessing that it made more sense in the taller lifts. And yes, I really didn't love going back to fiddling with the upper nut on the stem mount.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

" It also makes changing shocks MUCH easier in the future. There are no negatives in my opinion."

Well unless the stem eliminator magically some how shifts???? Can't get the right pressure/ angel to loosen the nut w/o getting the Van on a rack which equals paying someone to adjust the mount for the simple task of changing the shocks. So actually there is a negative.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #9

Assuming I couldn't loosen the nut on top of the frame, I would be in there with a pipe wrench or pry bar trying to get that eliminator turned back to the orientation it belongs. Are you replacing or rebuilding that shock? If replacing, its even easier as you don't have to worry about damaging the shock.

Your problem loosening the eliminator is no worse than a factory stem mount shock removal.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
Well unless the stem eliminator magically some how shifts???? Can't get the right pressure/ angel to loosen the nut w/o getting the Van on a rack which equals paying someone to adjust the mount for the simple task of changing the shocks.
That nut is a pain, but a rack won't make a difference in access.

The best way I found is to come in with a wrench from the side above the tire while standing next to the van. Then it's mostly slow going, but at least you don't have to pull it all the way off.