Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

Let me try and answer a few questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
are new springs required to utilize the benefits of the shocks and will this help with the "swim" or "wander" that these vans get at higher speeds?
The key to the front suspension improvement is increasing the bump travel just over an inch, but not just for the obvious reasons. This extra bump travel is achieved because of a slightly longer spring but more importantly a spring with a higher spring rate. So a couple of things are going on here when the van hits a bump or goes around a corner. Not only does the added bump travel allow more up travel before you bottom out but the higher spring rate requires greater force to compress the spring and gives the shock a longer stroke and "time" to dampen the force.

Without getting too technical and using a simple hypothetical example; if a spring has a 500 lbs spring rate, it takes 500 lbs of weight to collapse the spring 1 inch. If the free length of the spring is 10 inches, and when installed in a vehicle at ride height the spring is 8 inches long, we can calculate that the vehicle weight on the spring is 1000 lbs. If this vehicle hits a bump that compresses the spring two more inches, we could call that bump a "1000 lbs bump" - I know, I know.

Installing a 10 inch spring with a 1000 lbs rate in the same vehicle will result in a spring length of 9 inches at ride height, "lifting" the vehicle 1 inch. When it hits the same "1000 lbs bump" the spring will only collapse 1 inch.

The spring I have chosen is a progressive wound spring and this complicates the math a little but that is the general idea.

Now add the shocks to the equation. I have valved the shocks to provide additional compression damping to slow the bump travel and additional rebound damping to control the additional spring rate and the high sprung weight of our vans.

Installing just the front shocks would help improve your ride I am sure, but would not give you the real benefit we are seeking in the front.

The rear shocks are valved specially to control the heavy spring rate of our leaf springs and control the heavy (and very top heavy) sprung weight. This is what helps fix the "swim" or "wander" or sloppiness of the road manners. It is most noticeable in cornering, entering or exiting driveways and road undulations where the vans can be so unsettled. Just installing these rear shocks would provide great benefit I am sure.

Quote:
oh ya, and do these get ordered through you or fox directly? specific part numbers? dealer discounts available??
I selected shocks from unrelated applications, just for their extended and compressed lengths as well as proper mounting hardware - they are not valved correctly for our vans. I have to disassemble them and change all of the valve stacks and then recharge them with N2. At this time they are not available direct through FOX. The list price for the FOX Performance Series IFP (Internal Floating Piston) Shox is $127.50. I am able to provide them at the same price with the custom valving for now. Springs run around $180.00 at the present time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphin
So how much improvement in up-travel or bump travel did this package give the vans? Are you putting a package together that you'll sell for self install, or will you be offering to install this package? And what are the prices? I'm interested for sure, the limited bump travel on the Quigley 4x4 makes driving rough roads miserable. Mine doesn't wander at low or high speeds like some have indicated, but it has about an inch of bump travel.

-Bryce
The bump travel question is answered above.

At this time we are installing for $300.00.

I can sell packages for self install, but because not every Quigley is exactly the same, it would be necessary to get pictures of your existing suspension and some measurements and then there might be some issues that we would normally deal with that would fall on the installer.

Quote:
^^^ nice, thanks for info! how much did the setup raise your vehicle up?
Thank you! The front is raised just about an inch, depends on the weight and layout of your Van. Both of the test vehicle owners liked the added stance and appearance of their Vans after installation - it is really not enough to be detrimental.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventr
I'm ready to buy those shocks! Just post up a link or some part numbers.

Last week I purchased some 6000lb coils that should give me about 1.5" of lift. I hope to install them soon. Also going to push my front axle about 1.5"-2" forward. Those shocks will complete my setup!
You may need a slightly different front shock with the modifications you are considering and there may be some other considerations we can discuss.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #13

I am going to order several sets of FOX Performance Series IFP (Internal Floating Piston) Shox in the sizes needed for Quigley Vans and revalve them. These are not "off the shelf" shocks and some lead time is needed to get them.

I'll keep everyone posted as to availability and will only make these available to Sportsmobile Forum members for now.

PM me through the forum with your interest and contact number to discuss purcahse and installation.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

I forgot to add that removing the Air Lift air bags that were previously installed over my rear axles and in place of the rear bump stops (it has internal jounces aka bump stops) was likely one of the biggest improvements besides the new rear shocks. Bump travel and droop increased. I believe bump travel went from 1-1.5" to almost 3". Bajasmb might have notes on that.

Most likely will put the airbags in the classified section soon.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Have you taken your wife for a ride yet?

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Dirtiest post ever!
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Have you taken your wife for a ride yet?
Oh yes I have.

Will take her in the smb as well some day soon.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Garage

^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I forgot to add that removing the Air Lift air bags that were previously installed over my rear axles and in place of the rear bump stops (it has internal jounces aka bump stops) was likely one of the biggest improvements besides the new rear shocks. Bump travel and droop increased. I believe bump travel went from 1-1.5" to almost 3". Bajasmb might have notes on that.

so the airbags were hurting things? ive been told by numerous people that airbags would help the wander at high speeds? i was planning to install some to help with stability at higher speeds, but also for when I haul a trailer around in the future. should i not bother or is there certain bag sets to stay away from?

bajasmb, im seriously impressed with what youve done for us that dont have the knowhow or means to accomplish this fix. hats off and many thank yous!!! ive got a few things on order currently, but i will be in touch with you about one of these setups. you gotta come up with a cool sticker those of us who have your engineering installed on our rigs. something like "suspension tuned by bajasmb"

...now to go let the wife know we need to spend more money.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb

so the airbags were hurting things? ive been told by numerous people that airbags would help the wander at high speeds? i was planning to install some to help with stability at higher speeds, but also for when I haul a trailer around in the future. should i not bother or is there certain bag sets to stay away from?
The problem is not airbags in general, its those airbags. They are so short they limit travel, and also have an extremely progressive spring rate. U-joint makes a "floating" airbags setup which doesn't limit travel. I ripped my airlift set out and replaced them with a long-travel Firestone setup which has 12" of travel instead of the 4" the Airlifts had. Also the airlifts replace your bumpstops, so if the airbags fail, it becomes a violently rough ride. The Firestone kit mounts outboard of the frame so the bumpstops stay in place.

Airbags are great for better load carrying. They are not a solution to wandering or other drivability problems. Have you had a full alignment check done yet? Especially the caster angle?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #20

^what he said.

Nailed it.