Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #41

Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

FWIW, the front and rear lift on my rig is about exactly the same now - 10" from the top of the tire to the middle of the fender (with Bushwackers). I think the stock springs were sagging a bit. It looks almost exactly level to me visually. Therefore, would like to avoid adding any lift to the front. I can measure from the hubs if you'd prefer.

Btw, I have the Road Armor bumper (heavy steel) and winch on the front as well, so it is quite nose heavy.

I will measure between the bump stop and spring perch, unfortunately, my airbags are currently in the way. I'll have to figure out how to remove those and I can get back to you. As it stands, I would assume that I would want to retain this amount of lift more or less. Maybe there's a slightly shorter progressive spring available?

And yes, it looks like the rear axle has some shock mounts that extend out a bit.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellGuy
AFAIK, the correct leafs were selected by Deaver. I let them design it. It added 1.5" to the rear lift and now has full travel. They also spec'd out the shocks after we installed the springs, so I'm confident that it was done well.
Does the rear axle's lower shock mounts still have the silly 2.5 inch extensions that Quigley welds on them?

Measure the distance between the rubber bump stop and where it contacts the rear axle, and then measure the length of the exposed shock shaft. If there is 6 inches of travel before the axle bottoms out on the bump stop and there is only 4 inches of exposed shock shaft - you may have a problem.

Yes, would like to swap out front springs - it's the only thing I haven't changed yet. I think I would need to do shocks too if you increase ride height, right? Btw, how much additional lift do these springs add over stock Quigley height? Can you spec out springs AT stock Quigley height? I kinda like where I'm at now.
Well, if you are like every other Quigley out there, "where you are now" is just about riding on the rubber bump stops up front, and that is the problem. Take a look under the front of your van and measure the distance between the front axle landing pad and the rubber bump stop and let us know. Your Quigley only has ~5.5 inches of front travel, we just want to get it in the middle of that range at ride height. If your Deavers lifted the rear 1.5 inches then the Van must sit raked with the rear high, not what most are looking for. Your front shocks should be fine as far as dimensions are concerned.

Send me your e-mail, and I'd be happy to send you pics.
ramseyelwardani@gmail.com

SwellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #42

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

You have airbags? Front and rear? Are they mounted where your stock rubber bump stops would normally go?

Quote:
I will measure between the bump stop and spring perch, unfortunately, my airbags are currently in the way. I'll have to figure out how to remove those and I can get back to you.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #43

Quote:
You have airbags? Front and rear? Are they mounted where your stock rubber bump stops would normally go?

Quote:
I will measure between the bump stop and spring perch, unfortunately, my airbags are currently in the way. I'll have to figure out how to remove those and I can get back to you.
Airbags on the front only, inside the coils. Not sure if the installer left the bump stops in place (doubt it). Actually, pressurizing them lead me to believe that higher spring rates would work on the front since highway road manners are much better when inflated. That being said, doesn't seem like locking down the front is a good idea, so I haven't pressurized them in awhile.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Airbags on the front only, inside the coils. Not sure if the installer left the bump stops in place (doubt it). Actually, pressurizing them lead me to believe that higher spring rates would work on the front since highway road manners are much better when inflated. That being said, doesn't seem like locking down the front is a good idea, so I haven't pressurized them in awhile.
Bump stops are inboard of the springs and I am sure they are still there or you would be hitting the frame cross member with the axle housing. Check the distance between axle and stop - it may be already "lifted" by the air bags.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #45

I working on the Fox set up right now. It's great to see that you have been very successful and happy with the upgrade. I have 2001 E350 7.3 Sportsmobile with Quigley conversion. I have Fox shocks on, but am fine tuning and considering spring upgrade as well.

I also have ATS that I'm installing. What are your thoughts on mounting above the tie rod for ground clearance (similar to Jeep Fox install)? I'm making adapter bracket now to complete install and evaluate. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1174 mod.jpg  
leemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Quote:
Bump stops are inboard of the springs and I am sure they are still there or you would be hitting the frame cross member with the axle housing. Check the distance between axle and stop - it may be already "lifted" by the air bags.
Thanks yeah i see it now looks like about 2-2.25" of clearance. Unfortunately as I mentioned before I'm about dead level front and back. Any spring options to maintain this?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #47

I'm reading this entire post with great interest as I purchased an 09 E350 EB 15 passenger Quigley a little more than a year ago. The plan was to convert the EB to a family traveler / camper vehicle via SMB. After driving a few thousand miles (total still under 30K) we are contemplating selling primarily due to the ride quality and secondarily to the low MPG (13 - 14). Our primary application for the 4 wheel drive is not for true off road like many folks here, but to access Ski areas, back country areas, beach driving, and general dirt road travel. the Quigley portion seems fine for that aspect but i have all the same issues as stated earlier in this string.

If i understand the basis of the string, for a modest $1K investment I'll have a van that doesn't wander, doesn't bottom out up front on the smallest of bumps, level front to back, and won't cause as much fatigue while driving long distances which we do all the time?

FYI >>> i contacted Quigley a few months back and they were super responsive suggesting the following >> 1) swap all shocks for bilsteins 2) add a leaf to the rear which would level the van. When i queried further concerning the lack of front end travel their suggestion 3) was to add more springs. Both 1 and 2 seemed logical but I new that would not 'fix' my issue. I don't like band aids, i like fixes. . .

Thanks for all the help and the great knowledge in this forum!
surf92lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #48

Here's another crazy question - could you notch the spring perch where the bump stop is and gain more travel that way? Come to think of it why can't you cut that whole part away and put a longer spring on it and mount the spring right on the axle? You could gain a ton of travel that way.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, I'm not a suspension engineer.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #49

Quote:
I'm sure there's a simple answer.
Axle housing will hit the frame cross member - it comes within a half in now as they are.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #50

Swellguy: Representative example on my Salem Kroger take out the bump stop to make more room ...

download/file.php?id=5901

and you still have the cross-member hitting the axle ...

download/file.php?id=5902
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote