Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #51

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

I drove another Quigley RB SMB 40 miles to my shop, installed new coils and shocks, then drove it back home. Typical POS Quigley ride on the way in (don't know how people put up with that for so long) then handled like a Ford Vantera on the way home.

The owner picked it up and headed home towards Los Angeles - called about half and hour later, ecstatic!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #52

Thanks for your comments - I made a few "fixes" to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf92lb
If i understand the basis of the string, for a modest $1K investment I'll have a van that doesn't wander, doesn't bottom out up front on the smallest of bumps, level front to back, and won't cause as much fatigue while driving long distances which we do all the time? Pretty much nailed it.

1) swap all shocks for [s:28w6eubd]bilsteins[/s:28w6eubd] FOX Shox valved for us 2) add a leaf to the rear which would level the van. 3) add more front spring[s:28w6eubd]s[/s:28w6eubd] rate. I don't like band aids, i like fixes. . . so do I - FIXED!

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #53

Baja, congratulations on this great idea. There are enough Quigleys around to keep you busy for a while I suspect, including mine.

I have a 1995 E150 Quigley, with heavier front and rear springs, usually weighs around 6000, very rarely as much as 7K fully loaded for a long trip. My shocks are fading fast but have aways had way too little damping, and like all Quigleys, much less useable travel than I would want. What data do you need to be able to spec a set of the Fox's for me?

Thanks for the work you've put into this to make it simple for those of us who don't know enough to DIY.

witoke
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #54

The Quigley comes with 4600 lb Ford springs on the front. What exactly is proposed to replace these? I feel like the rates need to be higher than that to be comfortable.
SwellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #55

Another installation this afternoon, and another Quigley variant, but we came up with a simple solution. I think the owner is pretty happy with the results. If nothing else, it looks better, and looks are everything!

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #56

I received a phone call from one of the higher ups at FOX Shox the other day asking me to help someone with a van that had contacted them through one of their sponsored racers. After a few phone calls, the van was dropped off at my home and the owner headed back to Orange Co.

This was a Quigley conversion, E350 RB with 7.3L, and loaded down by SportsMobile, Penthouse and all.

I received this very kind, though somewhat embarrassing note from the happy owner and share it with his permission to illustrate what is accomplished with the FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package.

Ramsey,

I just want to send you a quick email to thank you for all the work you did on my Sportmobile. I can't even begin to tell you difference you have made in the the ride. Before you replaced the suspension, a small speed bump would bottom out my front end throwing the back end up and anyone in the back seat would go for ride and anything not tied down, would get thrown round. Since then I went on a couple day trip in the sierras and ended up off road for about 30 miles. I have yet to bottom out my front end.

There is a night and day difference in how the van handles. The way it handles corners, the way it settles, everything about the van's ride is 110% better. It used to be uncomfortable to simply drive on the free way. A small bump in the road would make the van sway back and forth a few times before it would settle. Now it settles immediately. It drive just as good or better than my stock subaru out back. The new suspension has a sports car feel. Its amazing!! Even my wife said was the best investment we have make in the van since we bought it.

When I dropped my van with you I wanted to make my van safer and more comfortable for my wife and my 15 month old twin boys we travel with. Every one else I talked to regarding the suspension said "there is only so much you can do with these 4x4 vans." They just are big heavy vehicle that inherently have a rough bouncy rides. I wish I could go back to everyone of those people and let them drive the van now. They would be shocked.

I can't thank you enough. It honestly feels like I am driving a completely difference Van. I know that the way quigley converted my van made it challenging to deal with the suspension but after the our first conversation with you regarding my van, I knew you had more knowledge about 4x4 vans than anyone I have every talked to. Then when I got my van back, you completely surpassed any expectations I ever had.

I think Sportmobile should hire you on as their suspension consultant.

Thanks Ramsey. Marcus

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #57

^sounds like my testimonial minus the "Sports car" comment. Relatively speaking I guess you could say that.

Def look forward to driving my rig. Before not so much.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #58

So, it sounds like you have solved the issue for the coil spring folks. Would you be willing to take a stab at the same issue for the leaf spring guys? To say that my front end is harsh is an understatement. It doesn't take much of a bump to bottom out, and it would sure be nice to fix this prior to Baja. Thanks.....................Arctic Traveller
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
So, it sounds like you have solved the issue for the coil spring folks. Would you be willing to take a stab at the same issue for the leaf spring guys? To say that my front end is harsh is an understatement. It doesn't take much of a bump to bottom out, and it would sure be nice to fix this prior to Baja. Thanks.....................Arctic Traveller
I'd like to tackle that project once others have settled down.

Where are you located?

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #60

Well, I have good news and bad news - I'm oversubscribed!

We have installed or sold all of the FOX Shox that are available in the sizes that we need and it will be several weeks before the next run is complete.

I've tried to keep up with everyone that has expressed interest and think I have gotten to everyone...

This has gotten a little out of hand as I am not really in business and only doing this as a hobby and to help some people out; it has turned into a lot of work.

Revalving the shocks takes a fair amount of time. If I can commit to FOX a certain level of purchases, they will give me custom part numbers and build them to suit my specs. This would make it a lot easier and make it worth my while.

So far the only place that I have posted and made these available is right here on this forum - I'm sure there is a lot more demand out there if I expand the reach. I'm weighing this all out.

Thank you,

Ramsey

AgileOffRoad.com