Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Quigley based conversation, help? Pointers?

I've been looking at a Quigley based conversion, sorry if it doesn't all tie together yet.

Brakes, what are the early 2000s rotor's modified from? I like ford's bigger thicker rotors (heat sink) otherwise I'd get a chevy...

Adjustable arms, agile? No mas.... color ado camper van? Calfab? Make my own???

Defiantly interested in a agile's progressive springs

This is going in an e350 ambulance I have owned since before the fad, 2012, but I didn't have a job then so not so much progress. ..

Transmission will be rebuilt, e4od inut is appreciated, I have stock 2wd transfer disassembled and a 5.8 Windsor 4x4 for parts, $90 @ pnp with the transfer case couldn't be beat. I'd like to have upgraded rubber parts and clutch packs without buying snake oil.

Engine is a 7.3 idi hopefully with hypermarket turbo and torque camshaft from Oregon camshaft

Back to brakes, I have considered changing to super duty brakes, 8x170. Are the rotors significantly larger than what Quigley used? Calipers?

Oh, and axle ratio. Perhaps later we can deal with that... 33" tires and 3.73 are my thoughts for now, but there is time.

napabavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Apparently my phone has confused a 4 wheel drive conversion with talking to someone? I guess that is a mistake akin to keeping your wench on the front bumper, although wenches don't much care for that seat...
Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Brakes are off earlier GMC/Chevys. Not much you can do without swapping axles other than getting good drilled rotors. I've got them in my 10k+ van and it stops fine.

Call Derek at CCV about adjustable arms. Or make them yourself. Or just order the much cheaper Quigley round replacement arms.

Get Agile RIP with springs and shocks. Best money you can spend on a Quigley.

Transmission? Talk to Woods. Pricy but you'll never mess with it again.

3.73 and 33s is fine, but the IDI is about as slow as they come, so you might want to go to 4.10s or something for a little more giddyup.

And patience.. some is us are out in the woods in our vans and aren't checking the web every minute!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

There is a guy in Sacramento who can do adjustable arms for $800 I thought factory were $150 each so not much more, I could do it myself but I'd rather let someone who welds every day to go after that part. Wandering and not returning to center are oftenot castor related issues that adjustable arms could rectify.

I understood around 02/03 they went from custom 80s gm based axles to modiffer factory ford axles, the axle code from this axle cross refrences to a 2004 super duty f350.

Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to install this thing without the bugs the first time.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

If you can get a guy to do good arms for $800, go for it. That's cheaper than CCV.

Well shot, if you know you've got a 2004 axle, no need to ask us, find out what you can do from the pickup guys, there's way more of them!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

I don't have it yet and it is 2000 miles away so I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I say yes, and I'm trying to get a shipped quote.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Aha! Wait until you get it... they're ALL different!