Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Quigley hub bearing replacement. Custom assembly only? Help!

We have an '03 EB E350 with Quigley 4x4. The right side axle is engaged and after removing lockout hub it's pretty rusty and axle shaft will still not release. I was planning to remove the wheel hub and at a minimum replace the bearing, but planning on possible need to replace ujoint/stub shaft as well. After speaking with Quigley for part numbers, they said that the hub assembly is custom converted by them to accommodate larger rotors and that it has to be replaced as a complete unit (everything between knuckle and rotor). Can someone confirm? Anyone else have a similar situation?

Thanks so much,

James

Kingspa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

Did they quote you a price on the part?
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Did they quote you a price on the part?
Yep, $492 shipped.
Kingspa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Or you can ditch the failure prone unit bearings with Dynatrac’s free spin hub kit, pricey but well worth the upgrade if you’re digging into it. That’s the route I went, includes 35 spline axle shafts and warm premium hubs or Dynatrac hubs for an upcharge.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Garage
What front end do you have?

My 03 Quigley has an 03 f350 front axle. According to Quigley when I called their replacement rotors are just 03 f350 rotors that they have drilled out to accept the 8x165 bolt pattern. Same with their bearing assemblies. They drill out the 8x170 pattern to accept larger diameter lug studs so that the bearing assemblies match the stock rear end.

When my drivers side went bad I decided I didn’t want custom parts like that on my van so if I do have an issue somewhere I don’t have lifelines I can use off the shelf parts. So I just replaced both my front hub assemblies with stock f350 assemblies I purchased from rock auto for $179 each. That meant I needed to do something with the rear axle so that the bolt pattern matched. So I replaced my rear axle with one from an 05 f250. I did this to get a full float axle since my van had a semi float. You could also just get wheel adapters for the rear axle, but I’m not a fan of them even though they have a pretty good track record with mang forum members.

Yes I had to buy new wheels, but I wanted new wheels anyway. So I bit the bullet and did all that stuff at once. Other than the new wheels, all items were purchased for around the same price as 2 new Quigley hubs.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

My 06 quigley is in the shop getting both front hub bearings replaced. Guy tried all ford parts before calling Quigley, and they said the same thing. Its a custom piece from them. I was quoted $750 shipped. But mine is going cross country to Seattle.
DuggyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote