Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Quigley oversized front rotors & bearing question.

Hi - Anybody that have a Quigley E350 know if, on the oversized front brake rotors area the bearings press into them?

I'm close to closing on this Magic Unicorn 7.3 van I've been chasing... It's about 24 hrs of driving back home. (Why I'm asking this here)

I don't know if the owner is passing this off to me. I've overcome many, man hurdles to get to this point.

Sincerely,

Mike C

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

I read in here about it 4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc. > Technical Center > Ford E-Series Tech Center > Maintenance Schedule ...

I guess I need some rest... I'm reading this and w/o the van in front of me I just can't visualized all of the details I had to pay attention to today.

It's a 2002... close to the end of production run... the above says ... " Since 2003, our Quigley Ford 4x4 system solid axle uses a sealed non-serviceable hub and bearing assembly. ..."

From what I've read about this vehicle in my research it was a Boeing fleet rig, and judging by where it has been located... well Boeing dosn't just make airplanes... I'm from the land of Boeing, thus I've had many friends in different divisions, so I can read between the lines. Why would Boeing own a 4x E350 with super tinted windows? where it's been... hmmm - would they want the latest and greatest at the time or field serviceable?

As part of what I had to do get out here I slept 3 hrs 1 day and 8 the next... Maybe it will make sense tomorrow? or maybe it will blow up on me when I drive it back for 24 hrs of drive time...

Silly me, maybe I should just give up on this? nah... what's the fun in that?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

I'm not sure the answer to that but have your asked the owner to snap a pic of the Quigley build sticker and send it to you? Then call in the ID number to Quigley to get info on your target van. (800) 233-9358

They will send the Quigley parts list for the one you bring home along with maintenance schedule. **

I bought a V10 Quigley last month and it had new front brakes @58,000 miles. How many miles on the one you want?

** oh I see you posted again while I was writing this and you have some of the info I mentioned. Yep it does sound like you are in up to your eyeballs!

Everything will be fine.....Mouse..... Down..... Step away from the computer.... That's it.... Eeeasy now ....
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

CarringB may have the answer to your question- he sounds very knowledgeable to the generations of Quigley
Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

If you have the VIN, call Quigley. They have excellent records.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
I'm not sure the answer to that but have your asked the owner to snap a pic of the Quigley build sticker and send it to you? Then call in the ID number to Quigley to get info on your target van. (800) 233-9358

They will send the Quigley parts list for the one you bring home along with maintenance schedule. **

I bought a V10 Quigley last month and it had new front brakes @58,000 miles. How many miles on the one you want?

** oh I see you posted again while I was writing this and you have some of the info I mentioned. Yep it does sound like you are in up to your eyeballs!

Everything will be fine.....Mouse..... Down..... Step away from the computer.... That's it.... Eeeasy now ....
I hear yah... it's almost like buying a house, lolz....
Old 09-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #7

...That sounds like when the front axles went to unit bearings.....instead of the old basic tapered roller bearings.

They are serviceable, you just buy different parts.....more than just wheel bearings.

I'm by no means an axle expert......but I wouldn't sweat making a van purchase decision based on those......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...That sounds like when the front axles went to unit bearings.....instead of the old basic tapered roller bearings.

They are serviceable, you just buy different parts.....more than just wheel bearings.

I'm by no means an axle expert......but I wouldn't sweat making a van purchase decision based on those......
I appreciate your input... I'm 24 hrs of driving away - I just don't want to break down on the road.

Good news is Quigley has good support... diagrams are on the way.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Just curious, you said 24 hour drive- where is the van you want to buy??
Old 09-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Just curious, you said 24 hour drive- where is the van you want to buy??
Well... I bagged it... Now either back to WA or down to UT for build out... although someone else called from SLC and the guy who sold it to me said I could flip it to some rich dude.

I really want it built by these guys down in SLC... like me they are gear heads and snowboarders... Might lead to them showing me some choice routes back to Ogden... People tend have more business incentive to keep a good rep when they know people in a tight community beyond just simply business... if that makes sense.

At this point after all of this I'd only flip it for $15k over what I paid. It took me 8 months to find this thing. It has an interesting past... 18k mi of the 20.5k it has in it I'm pretty sure was used for something I'm not supposed to post about (not illegal btw)- so it fits me... cause it makes for a really interesting story...

Should be good for stealth camping and driving up icy single lane fire roads to access volcanoes... I would think it would mesh well with work goals as well.

So the chase is over... the Magic Unicorn was bagged.