Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Quigley Ride Height and Suspension Travel

http://www.quigley4x4.com/TechnicalCent ... fault.aspx

Quigley has a revamped web site. If the link above works, it goes to a page that outlines what is and is not done to the vans. We know Ford and the Feds have a lot of requirements that keep the vans within 'stock' tolerances and 'minimum' safety factors, which Quigley exceeds in all categories.

In the specifications, it says: "the conversion shall not add more than 3.5” to height".

No wonder my bump stops are so close to the axle. It sounds like this specification dictates ride height over the best possible suspension setup.

Just what is the full usable travel of the torque tube suspension? And what coil springs are the optimum height to fully take advantage of the usable travel?

How far are the bump stops on an F350 with the Dana 60 axle? Do we start there and get coil springs to match?

Once the front is setup properly, then install custom rear springs that use smaller blocks to adjust the ride height as necessary.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Quigley Ride Height and Suspension Travel

I've often wondered why Quigley didn't give the van more suspension travel in the front, especially in the "up" direction. Many SMB owners complain of the same issue with flat or negatively arched front leaf springs that are way too close to the bump stops.

I know of at least one member on this forum who replaced the Quigley coil springs with longer ones from Supersprings (use the search function). I've read where others have cut part of the rubber bump stops off to gain more travel.

Problems I see with getting springs that are substantially longer/taller are:
1. Brake line length.
2. Changes to the driveshaft angle (causing vibration) and it may not be long enough.
3. Adverse changes to steering geometry.
4. Require a different pitman arm.
5. Will need longer shocks.

I imagine if you're only changing springs that are a few inches taller than stock, you should be fine.

I'm curious to know what you find out on this subject.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #3

You're right. By adding a taller spring, 1", it would not require any of those modifications at all. The geometry would not be changed, the top and bottom would be unchanged, only the ride height would be different. Or even a taller spring, the geometry is unchanged.

I think increasing the space between the bump stop and the axle or ride height would give the suspension that much more ability to absorb an initial shock without so easily reaching the limits. "Pickup like" is the lacking expectation.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

You could always put in some 1" or larger coil spacers and try to determine a ride height/get yourself more clearance before going with the full springs.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

Any time you change the ride height, the castor will change, and require an alignment. Since there's no adjustment on the Quigley arms, it's quite difficult!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #6

Doesn't the four link Quigley type vs. the single frame mount for the F series prevent that?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
http://www.quigley4x4.com/TechnicalCenter/FordProducts/Ford4x4Components/tabid/114/Default.aspx

Quigley has a revamped web site. If the link above works, it goes to a page that outlines what is and is not done to the vans. We know Ford and the Feds have a lot of requirements that keep the vans within 'stock' tolerances and 'minimum' safety factors, which Quigley exceeds in all categories.

In the specifications, it says: "the conversion shall not add more than 3.5” to height".

No wonder my bump stops are so close to the axle. It sounds like this specification dictates ride height over the best possible suspension setup.

Just what is the full usable travel of the torque tube suspension? And what coil springs are the optimum height to fully take advantage of the usable travel?

How far are the bump stops on an F350 with the Dana 60 axle? Do we start there and get coil springs to match?

Once the front is setup properly, then install custom rear springs that use smaller blocks to adjust the ride height as necessary.
I don't know how much more different the newer Quigley are compared to the older Quigley. I do know the arms are different. On my older Sportsmobile Quigley, I only had about 1 to 1 1/2inches before it hit the bump stops.

I added supercoils and trimed th bump stop and I added about 3 1/2inchs compared to 1in before it hits the axle. It might even be a bit more then 3 1/2inches.
Haven't had any problems.
Here is a thread from the past talking about clearance:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=665&hilit=+supersprings

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/PICT0043.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/P9010026.jpg
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #8

Ok, I read the thread. I'm a little confused between the ride height and the space to the bump stop.

You say it is now about 3 1/2 inches to the bumpstop. How much higher is the ride height from stock Quigley after all is said and done?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Ok, I read the thread. I'm a little confused between the ride height and the space to the bump stop.

You say it is now about 3 1/2 inches to the bumpstop. How much higher is the ride height from stock Quigley after all is said and done?

Thanks
I think I included a link to a pic of the side view in my last message. Might demo how high it went.

I think the ride height went up 3 1/2 almost four inches and then back down to about 2 1/2 - 3inches inches after adding the Heavy Warn 12000 winch. I also had Deaver adjust the back so it would slump also in the back.

Also Cutting the older style Quigley bump stop by 3/4ths really helped, granted it's about 1 inch from hitting the axle/diff case at full compression. It hits the bump stop before that still, didn't totally get rid of the bump stop. Alot better then 1inch thud I was getting let me tell you.

I don't know if it's still the case but I've seen some newer SMB (non-Quigley's) that have a great ride height, big tires but upon closer look, the clearance of the frame to where it might hit the diff pumpkin/axle area is disturbing; like less then 2inches. I don't know if they are still making it that way on the newest SMB's. There was a photo example of this on that older thread link.

At one point, I really was considering taking the whole thing to S&K or QuadVan and stripping the Quigley stuff off and go with the big Arms.. but it's all good for now.
Saved a big chunk of money I was going to burn..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:

I have been complaining about the same thing. We have the V10 on our 2008 Quigley and after about 25,000 miles, we now have about 1.75" of travel to the bump stop. I went to a Ford dealer and measured several F350 and they don't have much more travel. Maybe another 1/4 to 1/2 even on the Off Road versions. If I could get to 3", I think that would eliminate 70% of the bottoming. Quigley sent me the following response, but it's about what you would expect because they don't want the liability for rollover, etc. It really drives nice on the highway and takes winding curves nice and flat, so I may just live with the bump. My rear is about 1" lower than the front, but that should be an easy fix. I could either use a taller spacer or add an extra leaf. For reference, my van weighs about 8,000 and almost even between the front and rear axles.

Steve,
We do not recommend raising the vehicle any more than it is now due to the factor of the center of gravity being raised. There has not been any testing done to a van with a higher center of gravity. The van has front coil springs that are rated for 4200 lbs. the heaviest spring that can be installed is a 4600 lb. spring. Although this may help in the bottoming process but it will not increase travel, it will only stiffen the ride and you may not like that feeling. One other option would be is to install Bilstein shocks, these seem to work better on the camper & ambulance units. Everyone who has used the Bilstein shocks have been impressed with the stability of the shocks. The Bilsteins should dampen the ride to the extent of keeping the van from bottoming out (depending upon how much weight is in the van). We cannot recommend modifying the vehicle for more wheel travel. Installing additional leaf plys to the rear leaf spring pack will help you level out the rear of your van. A local spring shop should be able to help you out with that.
Have a good day,
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote