Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #51

Re: Quigley Steering Stabilizer/Damper

Very interesting Scatter. My other car is a 4WD and there is some movement as well (w/33" tires) and I just thought it was the nature of the beast. With the SMB, however, I cannot settle for "roaming" down the highway. Your information/post might be the answer I'm looking for. Are you 100% satisfied with it? Is your angle iron substitute sufficient or would you recommend spending the $ on their kit...if one could figure out which brackets were needed? I would love to hear more about your install 'cause this drift thing is kind of freaking me out.

Cheers-
Dan

Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #52

I know, I know.... Didn't take any pictures during installation. But, really nothing fancy here. First off, it is not 100%, but WAY better then before. Even with the dual stabilizer setup I had. As far as the brackets, Roadmaster wanted something like $120 for them. Way too much!! I live sort of in the boonies and the nearest steel shop is over an hour away so I ended up making do with what I had on hand. I started with 4" x 4" x 1/4" angle. I cut one leg off to 2-1/2" and left the other at 4". drilled holes in the 4" leg for the U-bolts and a single hole in the 2-1/2" side the same diameter as the bushings on the end of the shock. Found the U-bolts at the local Ace hardware. I can try some photos tomorrow if it would help. I can't see where a store bought bracket can be any better. Mine's stronger then hell. Way over built.
So, I'm out around $170 for this setup and much happier then before. And yes, I'd do it again. It really does make the rig easier to drive.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #53

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I copied Scatter's setup and am here to tell you that the wander is GONE! I am finally satisfied with the handling of the rig.
Bill
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larus
I use Steering Stabilizer/Damper and assistand power steering ram and it works fine

And pic
This is the way to go. Everything else is really putting band-aids on antiquated engineering.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #55

Larus & j.whitebread - you're right, what I'm doing is a bandaid solution. Actually, any modifications to a stock system is a bandaid. I think Larus solution is a better way to go, but finding something like that to fit our rigs and then making the modifications would be a major project. What I did is working out better than I expected and was pretty cheap and easy to do.
I'm going to stick with this till it becomes a problem again and then do a front end rebuild.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote