Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 91
Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

So my girl friend and I go on a 4wd dirt road in the desert east of San Diego. We totally love it. It was very quiet, we were mostly alone (though bizarrely, when we stopped to look at a site of a former Indian village, we were jointed by 5 hikers). I have a Ford Escape 4wd hybrid, so we stuck to a trail rated easy. But, of course, now my appetite has been whetted for more, and I would want an SMB system that could handle a moderate trail (but no, say, rock climbing or off-trail stuff). At the same time I would like a decent highway ride, if possible. Looking at the available options, is that something they could all handle, only some...? I have to say that the some cars could have handled the trail we were on. The only issue would have been clearance.
__________________

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 7,597
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Camburg makes a 2wd lift for the vans, if you want just clearance that's the way to go.

2wd is great, I use it all the time- until you get stuck. If your judgement exceeds your driving, you might not ever need it. Me, I need the full blown Atlas, Deaver, SMB4x4 combo and it's still sketchy.
__________________

__________________
and then
everything changed
jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,729
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

quadravan has a nice comparison chart
does not include SMB or Ujoint

from a service standpoint if i build another rig
it will most likely have as many stock parts as possible

Ujoint
how about a comparison chart like Quadras?


Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
So my girl friend and I go on a 4wd dirt road in the desert east of San Diego. We totally love it. It was very quiet, we were mostly alone (though bizarrely, when we stopped to look at a site of a former Indian village, we were jointed by 5 hikers). I have a Ford Escape 4wd hybrid, so we stuck to a trail rated easy. But, of course, now my appetite has been whetted for more, and I would want an SMB system that could handle a moderate trail (but no, say, rock climbing or off-trail stuff). At the same time I would like a decent highway ride, if possible. Looking at the available options, is that something they could all handle, only some...? I have to say that the some cars could have handled the trail we were on. The only issue would have been clearance.
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bones_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spenard, Ak
Posts: 327
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

IMHO I would not plan on anything but gravel and fire roads with a Quigley. My 2001 Quigley only had 4in of travel in front. I swaped out all the Quigly stuff and went with a UJoint kit (8" lift, 37" tires) and can now go anywhere I want to.
__________________
2001 RWB Quigley (not a SMB but love it)
Lots of Motorcycles (Dual Sports, Sportbikes and Sport Tourers)
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
UJOINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AVL NC
Posts: 968
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

Ujoint
how about a comparison chart like Quadras?

Under normal circumstances, only wearable parts need to be easily accessible. Anything that wears with my conversion is available at any decent auto parts store across the country.

With everything else (spring hangers, springs, etc) you'll have to drive the van off a cliff to break them. If so, you've got bigger problems!
__________________
Chris Steuber
02 E350 7.3 (V4)
05 E350 V10 (V7)
17 Focus RS,90 SHO,49 Willy CJ2A
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Azusa, California
Posts: 1,092
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

UJOINT ,
WHAT IS THE LOADED WEIGHT OF YOR VAN ?
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,729
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
UJOINT ,
WHAT IS THE LOADED WEIGHT OF YOR VAN ?
Greggde

Did he just call Ujoint a Loaded Fatty?

PS
Ujoint, great point!
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 7,597
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
I swaped out all the Quigly stuff and went with a UJoint kit (8" lift, 37" tires) and can now go anywhere I want to.
Except the drive thru!
__________________
and then
everything changed
jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
UJOINT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AVL NC
Posts: 968
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
UJOINT ,
WHAT IS THE LOADED WEIGHT OF YOR VAN ?
Greggde

Loaded for camping, probably 8300? Under normal daily driving it's 8050.
__________________
Chris Steuber
02 E350 7.3 (V4)
05 E350 V10 (V7)
17 Focus RS,90 SHO,49 Willy CJ2A
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 119
Re: Quigley v Quadvan v SMB v etc. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
I swaped out all the Quigly stuff and went with a UJoint kit (8" lift, 37" tires) and can now go anywhere I want to.
Except the drive thru!
and the automatic car wash... I already have that problem.
__________________

racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.