Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

Radius Arm vs 4 Link Ride

Maybe I'm not using the right search query, but has anyone done a road/offroad ride comparison of a radius arm setup (I.e. MG, BOR) vs a 4 link (Quigley, Timberline, CCV, not sure what newer Quadvan is using)? Another way of asking the same question, which solid axle front end coil rides the best, and are there any major pros/cons between the 2?

b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

QuadVan uses an OEM radius arm setup. MG's setup is similar but with some geometry changes to allow a higher lift and bigger tires. QuadVan is locked into a +2 or +4 setup as long as they are converting under Ford's QVM program.

All else being equal, the radius arm setup should ride better, because as the suspension is compressed, the axle makes a slight rear-ward arc. (This is why it's setup with the trailing and level with the axle) The 4-link setup, with the trailing ends higher than the axle ends, causes the axle to move forward under compression, so that adds some resistance to bump-travel.

The benefit of a 4-link setup is it's much easier to adjust caster, IF it was build with adjustable end-links. Also, a properly built 4-link setup with high-qualify rod-ends shouldn't wear out. But the Quigley 4-link, and the factory Ford radius arms (everybody else), utilize rubber bushings which eventually wear.

That all said.... overall bump-travel matters the most, followed by spring rates followed by damping. I'd place the arm/linkage setup behind all those factors, as it pertains to ride quality.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Fair enough. I would have thought that axle placement on the different systems, and therefore up travel/bump travel was comparable - possibly a false assumption? Edit: assuming equivalent amounts of lift.

To address the bushings, I did see that there were aftermarket adjustable radius arms for the F350s, some with burlier bushings or uniballs. Not cheap though.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Fair enough. I would have thought that axle placement on the different systems, and therefore up travel/bump travel was comparable - possibly a false assumption? Edit: assuming equivalent amounts of lift.
Quigley 4" lift has the same travel as the QuadVan 2" lift. Which isn't much. The difference mostly due to the engine crossmember modifications. Of course, you can put taller springs in either, but if you put taller springs in a radius arm setup, you have to drop the frame bracket to match, otherwise you lose caster.