Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Rear Lockers?

Working on putting in a rear full floater on the van. What are your thoughts on putting in a LS Locker or ARB type locker.

I have an ARB in the front now with air run to it.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Rear Lockers?

Good topic. Not sure what an LS locker is but my air compressor on my ARB went out before my limited slip rear diff which I figure will have to be re-built sooner or later. Hope I'm wrong. I'm told it can be somewhat costly to have done compared to replacing the compressor but ARB is using a better compressor these days. I had that replaced last spring. Other than that I have not had any other issues with my front ARB. Also as heavy as my van has been, the LSD has preformed well. It seems like as maintenance free the Limited Slip has been, if the axle comes with it I'd probably keep it that way but if you need to do a complete swap I'd consider another locker of some type. If I were to replace the LSD,at least I wouldn't have to deal with the additive anymore. You might want to research the shop cost of rebuilding a limited slip as well as how much more limited traction a LSD has (if any) compared to an ARB unlocked. Could make a difference. Lockers are kind of a PITA ut use at times but if it keeps from breaking an axle I'd consider it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #3

I prefer limited slip in the snow. It is always providing extra traction. A locker is either off or on, and I don't think I'd want to drive on a snowy highway with a locked rear axle because then you'd have have some major oversteer potential.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #4

Great question. I have the same dilemma as I head toward the day when Chris is going to R&R everything below the paint. I have to pick.

I'm a big fan of LSD. It saved my buns, and maybe life, ack in my rowdy Corvette days. I fully agree, I would not be a happy camper wo one in snow or ice, or loose gravel either.

A front ARB for me is a given, but rear?

WHAT EXACTLY does a rear locker give you if you've already got a front one? Depending on what you say, I'll have to balance that good w the risk of running around normally wo LSD.

JC
Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Are you doing a van FF or a Sterling swap?

I'm the opposite of most, I prefer a good aggressive LS up front and a full locker in the rear. Less stress on the shafts, don't have to fight the steering when in 4wd. I've daily driven a Detroit but both of my vans currently have ARBs. I haven't had any issues with the ARB's but I miss teh Detroit sometimes. I just like to know that the rear end is locked or it's blown up! No mystery of air leaks/etc.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Could this be the best of both worlds? Anyone have one of these?

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/p ... f9d7f93179

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Wonder what a limited-slip up front does? I hate my work truck and although I'm not sure what the hell is up there, when engaged in 4x4 it's like my van with the front locker engaged. I can see how a limited slip up front will work provided you can lock it in 4x4 when necessary. I can't turn in locked 4x4 especially in sand in my work truck! But the thread is about the rear. Some of the 3 axle trucks make it difficult to turn engaged but I don't know about what it would be like in our vans. My issues have been the front locker pulls a heavy vehicle up compared to a light vehicle that doesn't have the weight to do so. On a Jeep the rear locker pushes the rig up. On our vans (and for me anyway) we use the front locker to pull the heavy van up and the LSD provides a bit more traction than an open diff in the rear. But if you lock the rear it might make the cornering slightly more difficult. What nice about an ARB is it's selectable. To me it's almost a wash but agree if in snow or similar poor traction the LSD will preform better on normal roads as mentioned.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Could this be the best of both worlds? Anyone have one of these?

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/p ... f9d7f93179
That is the best of both!

But it only goes up to the Dana 50

If they made it in a Dana 70 version I would absolutely put one in!

Looks like they make it for the Sterling 10.25 and 10.5" diffs though.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

This too is my preferred approach. Detroit in the rear for reliability, performance, simplicity and cost, and a Truetrac in the front.

Eaton Detroit TrueTrac lockers are Torsen style limited slip differentials that use helical gears instead of clutch packs to offer automatic torque biased traction to both drive wheels at all times. The ingenious design limits the speed of each wheel to 1.5 times faster or slower than the opposite wheel to provide full-time traction while still allowing for wheel speed differentiation in turns. The heavy duty all-gear design not only makes for quite and smooth operation, it requires no maintenance and will never weaken or wear out like a typical limited slip differential.

He is putting in a D60 Van FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Are you doing a van FF or a Sterling swap?

I'm the opposite of most, I prefer a good aggressive LS up front and a full locker in the rear. Less stress on the shafts, don't have to fight the steering when in 4wd. I've daily driven a Detroit but both of my vans currently have ARBs. I haven't had any issues with the ARB's but I miss teh Detroit sometimes. I just like to know that the rear end is locked or it's blown up! No mystery of air leaks/etc.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #10

I just did one of those, ARB with new 35 spline shafts, bingo! Call it done.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote