Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Ride improvement package or options for Salem Kroger 4x4?

I know that there's a mod package available for Quiqley 4x4s, but I'm wondering if anyone has something similar for a Salem Kroger 4x4? Mine has leaf springs in front, and an extra leaf in back. I'd love to get a bit more travel (it has more than the Quigley's I think), but more importantly a bit softer ride, at least as insofar as that's possible with leaves instead of IFS. Could use some recommendations on shocks too; presently using Rancho 9000s. I'm running at 8600lbs fully loaded.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

Re: Ride improvement package or options for Salem Kroger 4x4

Hi Rob, my leafspring front end (Advanced) only had about 1.5in of bump travel untill we re-arched the springs, now it's got a whopping 2.5 to 3 inches. It doesn't sound like much, but compared to how it was when I bought it, it's a huge difference. Parking lot bumps would bottom out the front even at slow speeds, and now I can hit them without bottoming even at a pretty good speed. Ramsety increased the droop by cycling the suspension to measure the max available and then modifying the shock mounts to allow a longer shock with more travel. After some Fox valving magic, it's a completely different animal. I'll be passing through the Bay Area in a few weeks if you want to see what we did. Is Oakland frame and axle still in business? If so, I bet they could fix your springs.......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

Re: Ride improvement package or options for Salem Kroger 4x4

I've wondered about that. But if I add more curve in the front, since I have a front shackle there, I'll get that forward-pushing effect with more arch (I don't have a lot now, so the effect is more backward with a big compression. My friends argue about this all the time with their jeeps, since many of them have very arched springs with long shackles, but not many argue that it makes the ride smoother. More traction and stability maybe, but I don't see that smoothing things out. But maybe the extra travel would compensate for that. Of course we'd have to make sure the other components could handle it.

Oakland Frame and Axle is apparently gone, but there is an East Bay Frame and Axle. I'd probably use the Oakland 4WheelParts though; they did great work on some difficult ball joints and tie rods for me already.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Hi Rob, my leafspring front end (Advanced) only had about 1.5in of bump travel untill we re-arched the springs, now it's got a whopping 2.5 to 3 inches. It doesn't sound like much, but compared to how it was when I bought it, it's a huge difference. Parking lot bumps would bottom out the front even at slow speeds, and now I can hit them without bottoming even at a pretty good speed. Ramsety increased the droop by cycling the suspension to measure the max available and then modifying the shock mounts to allow a longer shock with more travel. After some Fox valving magic, it's a completely different animal. I'll be passing through the Bay Area in a few weeks if you want to see what we did. Is Oakland frame and axle still in business? If so, I bet they could fix your springs.......
Hey,

I recently got a 2002 Ford EB250 with the Salem Kroger 4x4. Yeah it's rough as heck!
Your info says you have an Agile RIP, but Jesus says they don't do leaf spring RIP on vehicles. Where did you have the springs worked on? I'm near Kenai, Alaska.

Thanks, for any suggestions.

Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I think Agile can still provide you with the RIP kit custom valved Fox shocks without the spring pack
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I think Agile can still provide you with the RIP kit custom valved Fox shocks without the spring pack
Not according to Jesus at Agile. He said they did them for a while. Some customers said they made an improvement, others said it did not. So, that stopped doing them on leaf spring vans. He will, of course sell me the shocks ... which will probably help.

Coincidentally, Craig at WhiteFeather did call me last night and says send the pics and info again and he will get on it.

The fires down there are burning out many of his suppliers, a very sad situation, currently.

He mentioned part of my problem is the addition of a very heavy front bumper and winch ... which makes sense.

I should prolly sell those bumpers and get some alluminess bumpers to lighten the load.

Bob
Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Wait, aren’t we saying the same thing then?
Your call to Agile confirmed that they can sell you the Fox shocks, custom valved with the proper ends and length for your van?
What else did they do for a leaf spring front end that they’re not doing anymore? Or is it that they don’t do re-valving on shocks for leaf spring front ends?
Am I missing something, cause there’s only 2 things that make up the RIP kit- custom valved shocks and, at least when I got mine, the Moog coils, oh ya and sway bar spacers, which I’m not using, but that’s a whole other story.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #8

He must mean they no longer supply leaf springs which might explain why John or Jeremy never returned my calls when I was ready to order. Paul was the guy who made them for Agile and Weldtec, perhaps he went out of business. Anyway, check out my thread, "Custom leaf springs are hard to source" I couldn't be any happier with the way my van now rides (well, in the back anyway, fronts springs are next) multiple leaves supply a softer initial spring rate but don't increase ride height or travel unless you increase the arch too. After installing new springs, you can cycle the suspension to determine the proper shock length. Then Get the fox's from Agile.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Wait, aren’t we saying the same thing then? >>

I guess we are. I was under the impression that there was More to an RIP than just shocks.

What else did they do for a leaf spring front end that they’re not doing anymore? Or is it that they don’t do re-valving on shocks for leaf spring front ends? >>

No idea, was actually thinking there was a way to make coil springs work. Clearly not. They do revalving, but how is that determined. I have a 350lb bumper up front with 12,000 lb winch. Surely, that adds roughness to the ride1

<<Am I missing something, cause there’s only 2 things that make up the RIP kit- custom valved shocks and, at least when I got mine, the Moog coils, oh ya and sway bar spacers, which I’m not using, but that’s a whole other story.
Yup, Newb here. My frustration is prolly the same as many Salem Kroger 4x4's. They are just a rough ride ... period.

Will paying $750 for shocks really make that much of a difference? I guess i'll see.

I read that turning the shackles around helps. Craig says that's impossible. U-joint says it's a geometry problem and there is no fix but to replace the system. I have also read that with any lift, you need to replace the pitman arm to correct the angles. Makes sense to me, but no one I have spoken to addresses that.

Time will tell

Bob
Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
REF! I missed the "WITHOUT" in your post! So sorry!!

Bob