Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
Orv

Garage
Pitman arm drop will affect bump steer but not ride, IIRC. That part is pretty simple, you need the tie rods roughly parallel to the axle, otherwise the steering angle will change as the suspension compresses.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ride improvement package or options for Salem Kroger 4x4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
REF! I missed the "WITHOUT" in your post! So sorry!!

Bob

Now it all makes sense.....and yes it’s a chunk of change for shocks but they are well worth it. I would look at getting new leaf springs, front/rear, Arctictraveller had good success with where he sourced his, Alcan here in Colorado.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Pitman arm drop will affect bump steer but not ride, IIRC. That part is pretty simple, you need the tie rods roughly parallel to the axle, otherwise the steering angle will change as the suspension compresses.
Any idea where to get a pitman Arm fabbed?

Rough ride is one thing but what makes ride feel unsafe is what I guess is Bump Steer. Highway speed coming around outside turn (right) and hit a lil bump and white knuckle not trying to hit oncoming traffic.

Working on shocks now will th Agile

Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
REF

You will find that pitman arms come in all different lengths for most applications. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but also check your front sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rod links
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #15

REF,

<<You will find that pitman arms come in all different lengths for most applications>>

I'm searching. From what you are saying I should be able to find/order on the Net?

Local mechanic said they usually come with 4x4 installs, but has no idea where to find them. I found a place locally today, that says he has a fab shop to custom make one. I'll take van by to have him look. Leary about having one fabbed. Would feel safer with one I could purchase, but getting angles right is obviously above me. Also seems odd that no one has mentioned this as a possibility to fix S/K in any forums I've seen. Will see what their suggestions are.

<<I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but also check your front sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rod links>>

Interesting you mentioned that. Looks to be like something is bent in pic below as if hitting spring. Or was it bent to "miss" the spring???

Everything else checks out.

Oops, other computer, will add pic on another post shortly.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
SMBFE3.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #16
REF

Ride improvement package or options for Salem Kroger 4x4?

Normal bend in the tie rod. Maybe I’m wrong on pitmans, thought they were easily sourced. I just did a search and a bunch came up. The trick will be finding one with the proper angled drop, if you even need a replacement. Have you found a good 4X4 or off road shop to take a look?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 11-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #17

REF

<<Normal bend in the tie rod>>

Nice to know!

<<Maybe I’m wrong on pitmans, thought they were easily sourced. I just did a search and a bunch cane up. The trick will be finding one with the proper angled drop, if you even need a replacement. >>

Have you found a good 4X4 or off road shop to take a look?>>

I'll have to do more searching on trying to locate a pitman arm on-line. OK, easy enough, can even buy on amazon! Just have to check angle to see if that is off.

My mechanic is pretty young but did a great job rebuilding my Tahoe front end. He has done many lifts when living in Oregon and actually found info concerning my front end and has really harped on the pitman arm height from the beginning.

The guy I spoke of earlier is who the, only 2, 4x4 shops deal with up here. He sounded very knowledgeable. I'll go see him tomorrow. Sounded interested in the challenge/fix too.

More to follow.

Thanks again!

Bob
Old 11-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
Orv

Garage
<i>He has done many lifts when living in Oregon and actually found info concerning my front end and has really harped on the pitman arm height from the beginning.</i>

That's a good sign that he knows his business. A lot of people don't understand the importance of it, or don't care. Lots of blatantly unsafe lifted trucks running around.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
He must mean they no longer supply leaf springs .
This is correct.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #20

So, there is the original flat pittman arm on the steering box. There is linkage right below the arm. I don't see how to add a dropped one without hitting that linkage or making mods.

May be more than I'm willing to tackle.

Makes sense why there are so many issues with the Salem Kroger 4x4's. But, many people have them and drive them. At least mine had a 47" spring instead of the really short 42" that some have.

We shall see ...

Bob