Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #21

Re: Ride Quality - Salem Kroger

by the way, pleas keep us updated on the results. I'm very interested to hear if you're able to achieve a good ride, and how much it costs to get there. I may get the same van.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #22

Hey all. I haven't done anything with it just yet (prob gonna build out the camper first, then tackle the suspension per everyone's suggestions). But for those of you asking for pics, I've got something even better: .

If this sheds any light on the situation, do let me know.
mjdipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I'm re-thinking my plan to have my 06 SMB springs retrofitted with the new ARB spring pack that SMB is using currently. Are the Deavers longer than the standard spring pack? I'm told that SMB specs out the springs for 10,000 lbs while Deaver actually uses the true weight of the vehicle when deciding shock valveing and configuring their spring packs. I'd hate to drop 2K and find out the ARB's don't cut it on my 11,500lb van. Actually I feel my old spring handle the road well but washboard is horrible.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #24

Dave,

The only thing I know that works on washboards is 30 psi and 30 mph. Or get a vehicle with lighter weight axles. Our heavy axles are difficult on washboards.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Mike, I've read claims that the Deaver’s are a vast improvement on washboard, not that I expect a fantastic ride. I also understand each van will handle different but I don't want to throw money away and end up quid pro quo. I just don't know what to expect for the added price Deaver quoted me. It's the distance they're located at that I'm worried about, followed by the added price but I've got to face the fact that my van came in at almost 10,000 lbs empty!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #26

Yep, shackles up front. That's why it doesn't ride well.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #27

If a factory tire calls for 55lbs of air and then you go up 30% in tire size then you you need to go down in pressure. Too much air on a forward located shackle setup does not allow the tire to stay flexed long enough to give the shackle time to reverse direction after a hit and move foward. Basically the tire is bouncing out at the same time the shackle is still trying to move foward.
I'm not saying a shackle revesal is not smooother on road but will say they don't off road and climb as well. With a foward design the front stays up and pushes the tire into and over bumps. It just plain works and is why jeep and conversion companys did it. The other problem with shackle revesals are that the axle now moves back when the springs flex causing interferance with parts such as the oil pan. I'm not sure what parts they would be your van but look close at where that axle will wind up on a hard hit before playing with geometry. Don't forget longer splines on the driveshaft as well because when the driveshaft compresses and bottoms out due to the increase rearward axle movement things break.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #28
Site Team

Garage

I thought Deavers wasin San Diego...they are in LA which is much closer than I thought so I've paid to have a custom set of shackles built along with a proper fit set of shocks for my 11,500lb van. Hope it's worth the 4K price. A lot of members swear by them. I'll post back after it's done.
Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdipietro
Hey all. I haven't done anything with it just yet (prob gonna build out the camper first, then tackle the suspension per everyone's suggestions). But for those of you asking for pics, I've got something even better: .

If this sheds any light on the situation, do let me know.
So have you got the camper bits done yet? Any more news regarding the ride?

Are these oregon gov. vans good enough as a starting point that they are a good value, or is there so much modification required that they're not worth bothering with? I'm looking for a good deal and these gov. S-K vans may be about the only way i can make a 1992+ van fit my budget. Otherwise, going old school isn't that big of a deal, i'll find a pathfinder or something like that.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #30

Hey guys - I've got a '96 SK as well (in the bay area) and have the same damn problem. I've replaced all four shocks which did make a huge difference, I'm not at tolerably uncomfortable down from losing fillings every time I drive.

I've done some really cool work to the van so far including:
replaced four wheels with ATX Mojave wheels
entire interior rhino lined and sprayed on the hood and bottom 12'' of the exterior
custom front to end safari rack up top with ladder on the side
*soon to have 4 Rallye 1000 lights in the front on the rack, 2 smaller work lights on the rear
OEM back seat put in (should have gotten the fold flat)

Once I get this suspension issue figured out it will be the perfect dream rig for my surfing and camping fun. It is true when the van is fully loaded it drives like a champ. Unfortunately when usually driven it's empty or doesn't have close to enough weight in it to make the drive comfortable. Is it possible to just get weight bars and mount them on the floor or sides ?
bfhenson is offline   Reply With Quote