Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #11

Adding bigger brakes to 16" wheels is doable, but won't be an off-the-shelf swap. Probably wouldn't be anyways with that axle. Somebody else did something similar to a Quigley (Boywonder?) using old Dodge rotors and new E-series calipers I think.

Anyways to RSC.... Ford says the system is certified if "The vertical center of gravity (CG), of the completed vehicle, is less than 39.2".

As MG mentioned, newer versions of the Sterling axle are RSC compatible, but I don't think those brakes will fit the 16" wheels. And, since you have the stock bolt pattern, you may be better off finding a Dana 70 instead. One from a rear-tank E350 cutaway would give you the extra width of a Sterling (actually a little more) and will be a full float. The '08+ versions should all have the outboard wheel sensors needed for RSC.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #12

Garage
I think there are upsides and downsides to the vans we buy. It looks like you've got it covered with all that ambitious welding work! That's the nice part about a stripped down van... you don't have to worry so much about removing things and still trying to keep it looking nice by putting everything back while you wait to do the next thing. Don't get me wrong... I like my finished-look van, but it would be nice to have it as an extra vehicle instead of a daily driver. Then I wouldn't care how it looked every day and could tear things up whenever I felt like it! Also, it's gonna be something when Agile has it for three whole weeks. Better get my bicycle tuned up.

Re: the 3.73: I use my vehicles for a lot of things, DD, some towing, going to the mountains in snow, etc. and I've been reading opinions for years about 3,73 bs 4.10s. Unless there's some reason you need torque, which I really don't, I haven't felt the need to give up mileage for it. All my previous 4x4s had 3.73 and I was always perfectly happy.

The special upside to the choice this time was getting the limited slip in 3.73 and only having to spend a couple hundred bucks at Agile for the new front diff. If I'd gone to 4.10's, I'd be spending a lot more money. I think the 3.73's are great. If you don't have limited slip and want it, you can always watch for a low mileage axle and put that in later. Or maybe John can find a good one for you.

Sometimes it's tough to stop on these things. I try to do it when my wallet is screaming too loud. But even then, when a good deal comes up...

It helps me to remember my van doesn't ever have to be "done". Especially with our transformer style, you can change it up however you want. I like that. Yours is gonna be fantastic. Already is... what I wouldnt give to get my hands on that under-floor box!

Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

Excellent info, thank you carringb.

I need to do some junkyard cruising. There was an engine/transmission and axle on craigslist here a while ago. Said it was a V10 6speed. I should have inquired about the axle. Hopefully it reappears.

And hey Otter, I was gonna suggest that if a few folks were interested in my absolutely no frills box, I could get my guys to do a couple. They are always happy for a little extra cash. I think somewhere around 150 bucks, 70 for materials and 80 bucks for the guys to bend it and weld it, and whatever to ship. The program is still in the turret punch. If you are interested, I will ask them. Again, it's no frills and you gotta make your own lid. Mine is just gonna drop in and latch, I don't want a hinge on it. I gotta give back around here so if you are interested, let me know.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #14

Garage
That's a nice offer on the box. What will your top material be? And how will you latch/lock it?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
That's a nice offer on the box. What will your top material be? And how will you latch/lock it?
uuuuuuuuuh. You got me on that one right now. I kind of fired this one off in a hurry so I could cut my plywood and get serious on the floor. Southco has a slew of latches. I gotta see where my finished floor comes too as well. If you want to wait and see, I will post it up. I plan on flooring in the next month or two so I will want to finish the hatch then.

and shucks, axle 34....Non Limited Slip
Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Garage
Ok, great. Have fun with the floor!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #17

I already am!! Thanks. Actually I am damn good and ready to move on from that.

So really, I could just have Agile put an LS differential in my open differential axle and be happy with a relatively inexpensive upgrade?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:41 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I already am!! Thanks. Actually I am damn good and ready to move on from that.

So really, I could just have Agile put an LS differential in my open differential axle and be happy with a relatively inexpensive upgrade?
Well, only if you don't really want 4WD. Limited slip is nice but, um, limited. I'm hoping it will get me through the winter without mishaps, but I won't be going in any bad conditions. Luckily, we have a Jeep when we decide to go up to the mountain for snow activities.

I did watch a couple of YouTube videos of a guy showing off his truck lsd, getting
him out of several difficult situations. But there was an awful lot of wheel spinning and burning rubber going on.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post

Would 16" wheels limit me in the future for brake upgrades??

Yes, quite possibly......if you are going with 285/75-16's, consider 285/70-17's...they are the same size and leave another inch for brake upgrades. I was planning on bigger brakes and fortunately bought 17's...

If you were planning on smaller tires and still wanted lots of rubber maybe 16's......

Larger rotors are possible with 16's but the fit is tight.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Adding bigger brakes to 16" wheels is doable, but won't be an off-the-shelf swap. Probably wouldn't be anyways with that axle. Somebody else did something similar to a Quigley (Boywonder?) using old Dodge rotors and new E-series calipers I think.
I upgraded my Advanced 4wd (Kingpin Dana 60) to F450 rotors (14.5" dia) and stock 2008+ E series calipers. I had to design and fabricate new caliper stands/mounts and got some great advice from Ramsey at Agile along the way.

For some reason many of the Advance 4wd conversions come with Chevy calipers and rotors (12.5" dia) and have custom fabbed caliper stands. The 2008+ E series calipers are low profile; although they are a tight fit with 17's with 14.5" rotors.

Ramsey did a few with F-250 rotors, those fit easy with 17's and are a bit tight with 16's but sometimes work depending on the wheels and 4WD system. Also, as MG pointed out a few months ago, the F-250 rotors got larger around 2012 or so.

I also have RSC on my van and have never noticed it doing anything with approx 4" of lift and I have 3.73 gearing with 285/70-17's and a 5.4L. It downshifts on grades out west but so far I'm happy as the most I tow is a small motorcycle trailer.

Flux: Is your rear axle a full floater? It's easy to tell by pulling off the stock hubcap. If the hub protrudes out through the center hole in the wheel, it's FF. If not, it's a semi-float. Many later passenger vans came with FF; CarringB can provide more details on what years, etc.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

My axle is a semi-float open differential or as ford likes to call it NON-LIMITED SLIP.

Just trying to think ahead a little bit, but then that usually means more confusion. On a need basis, a limited slip rear would be great, I will be on snow and ice a lot in the winter. Full float is obviously very desirable, but I am not sure if at this point, hunting down an axle is worth it, I have so many other things than need the $$ at this point and my van is pretty light. Well, someone told me to triple my estimate on expenditures......I am at least going double

I am gonna drop an email to John before doing anything and see what he things. One option would have been to have my rear axle done in 4.10, maybe I could go that way and have him do the LS on it. Other option is to look for a Full Float and get everthing done at once. I like the thought of 3.73 for the miles and miles of highway I will do.

I ran into this on Craigslist, guy says this is 2015 so it's off a cutaway. He has the V-10 with 6 Speed?? and this rear axle. I am gonna give a call and see. It's down in Compton though....but I think this is the kind of axle carringb was referring too and would be compatible with RSC.