Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #21

Full floaters came on RSC-equipped vans/wagons from '05-'08 (and of course some older wagons too). In '09 they went back to a semi-float and I'm not aware that they ever re-introduced it.

So, 2008 will be on the only year with both an RSC-compatible regular-width full-float axle with the bigger brakes. The only other way to get an RSC full float is the wide-track Dana 70 from the '08+ cutaways.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #22

So that axle is a Wide Track Dana 70 most likely. Got it.

thanks for the info. My education continues. Gone are the days I would buy a car and just drive it.......

I emailed John at Agile to see what kind of options he's got. Most important right now is to maybe get Limited Slip.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #23

Oops wrote my post before your pic. ^That does look like what you want! Just make sure it's a full-float. For 2015 all are full floats, but older cutaways, the mid-ship tank cutaways still come with the semi-float.

One more note: Cutaways only come with 4.10 gears.

And yes, the V10 does now come with the 6-speed auto, starting with 2016 however. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if some '15s rolled off late in the year with the new trans. There were some issues initially where Ford shipped out the new transmission without telling any of the up-fitters, so they had some unpleasant surprises with mis-matched drivelines.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #24

I thought that I had read about the 6 speeds on the bigger commercial vehicles some place, maybe looking at cutaways.

So this axle would be wider?

I dropped John at agile an email, see what he has to say about all this business.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I thought that I had read about the 6 speeds on the bigger commercial vehicles some place, maybe looking at cutaways.

So this axle would be wider?

I dropped John at agile an email, see what he has to say about all this business.

That axle will be 72.1" wide. Stock van axle is 66.6". Front axle is 69.4". So a cutaway axle would stick out 1.35" per side compared to the front.

Normally other 4x4 converters add 2" rear wheels adapters anyways to add more width and change the bolt pattern. Since Agile stays with the stock bolt pattern, rear adapters aren't necessary, but then the rear axle would still be narrower.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #26

So actually, this axle would better match the Dana 50 TTB then?

Put in an email to the guy.

Thanks very very much for the help here. I am not surprised I ended up with a van that is a little difficult to upgrade. I am usually the guy at the hardware store that has all the stuff with no bar codes and has to wait 20 minutes while they find out the item.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #27

Yes, I think the Dana 70 is the way to go paired with the Dana 50, vs the Sterling. The Sterling is wider as well, but would require adapters to match the front end, so it would be really wide!

Also, back to one of your first questions on Limited Slip... RSC includes traction control. It works in 2 stages, one reducing power if both wheels slip, but two also braking an individual wheel if only one loses traction. So it can function similar to limited slip. In fact, it can work better than the stock limited slip, since it can cope with zero traction under one wheel. The downside is under heavy use conditions, like running around the dunes or long muddy trails, it's always sensing slip, and it can overheat the brakes if you don't shut it off (and when you shut it off, you lose your traction biasing) But for bad weather, it works well enough.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #28

That's really good to know! I have a big concern about snow and ice driving and simply want the best thing possible for that.

Not afraid top pop chains on either. It's pretty fun tooling around with chains in 4WD.

Thanks again carringb.

Wonderboy got through to the axle guy, I gotta call him back. He might get some springs out of the deal.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #29

Bummer, he's only got dualie full floats. but he's got a ton of parts around. Diesel stuff too. Bunch of 7.3's and 6.0's. Only semi float single wheels though.

You know, thinking that the RSC does about what an LS would do, maybe a locking rear would be a good future upgrade for offroad. Let the RSC handle pavement and snow and such, then throw the locker on for offroad.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
TWonderboy got through to the axle guy, I gotta call him back. He might get some springs out of the deal.
....So......for the experts here....if I pick up a set of leafs from a cutaway, is it fairly straightforward to remove and/or mix and match leafs from my existing packs to end up with a reasonable preload and spring rate?

......I imagine that Deaver sells lots of leaf packs for $$$ for a reason.....

The cutaway leaf packs have lots more leafs than my stockers.....and my leafs are completely flat/saggy butt problem even with 4" lift blocks.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote