Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #41

John said about 3 weeks. I dropped it off last weekend so today is beginning the second week.

I knew I wanted the BFG and that I wanted to go through Costco for their warranty but they said my stock rim (7") wasn't within the BFG recommended range (7.5"-9"). I too wanted to remain low pro but I need the tires (4wd duh, lol) so it's sorta out of necessity.

My van has the RSC as well and will have 4.10's out back. I just emailed John about the LS possibilities so we'll see.

J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #42

You probably have the same rear axle as me, so it'll be a dyna-trac LS that goes in there if you so choose. I am going for it, best thing I can do for now.

I am sticking with the 3.73, but I have the V-10 so that helps a bit, it's got a lot of pep. We shall see, I hope I don't regret any of my choices, but all seems well.

3 weeks.....good to know. I didn't ask so I gotta figure out some logistics back and forth to El Cajon.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #43

Just spoke with John and it's gonna be an extra week. So I'll head down in about two from today. It's normally 3 weeks ish but he asked for more time for other things he's got going on the shop. I told him when I dropped it to take his time and I'm in no hurry to get it back. Super cool guy and really easy to work with.

He did confirm my van has a limited slip so I'm good there. But in thinking more about how the RSC and traction control work I'm not liking it. I remember driving a new Chevy work truck in the snow and got to play with it a bit and the traction control cutting power was not good. John backed that up that there are times where you'll need the power to the wheels even when they are slipping and sliding. Think muddy hill or the like.

Now I'm just hoping Costco installs the tires I ordered online without me there. fingers crossed.
J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
....So......for the experts here....if I pick up a set of leafs from a cutaway, is it fairly straightforward to remove and/or mix and match leafs from my existing packs to end up with a reasonable preload and spring rate?

......I imagine that Deaver sells lots of leaf packs for $$$ for a reason.....

The cutaway leaf packs have lots more leafs than my stockers.....and my leafs are completely flat/saggy butt problem even with 4" lift blocks.
Im happy with my 4" Ujoint rear springs and your pretty close to the manufacturer so you may not even have to worry about shipping if you can just go pick them up. It may cost a lot more than whatever you piece together but it will also save you the headache. Getting rid of those blocks made a big difference on my van.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #45

Traction control can be disabled. Hold down the button on the dash until it says "OFF". It will still retain RSC, even when Traction control is disabled. Granted, there's times when RSC may hinder performance as well, but its generally not very intrusive.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #46

Garage
Traction Control and RSC

JSweezy shared this video about RSC with me and I found it helpful:

https://youtu.be/Ehs83QqPxXc

I haul a trailer often and park it in an area with deep gravel. I had to turn the Traction control button off to keep from digging a deeper hole, wheels spinning. Even with it off, I still had problems.

I haven't been in that exact situation yet since installing the limited slip axle, but I'm hoping it will help me out there. Though my main concern was pulling my boat out on our steep, slippery ramp. Particularly when there is no power (yet) to the front wheels for traction, I wanted all the help I could get.

I have several times, in the few weeks since the axle swap, felt the lsd kick in when pulling fast out of a gravel situation into road traffic. Must say, it's a secure feeling I like. I'm happy we did the swap in preparation for the Agile conversion in the Spring and I think the 4x4 with limited slip will be the best of both worlds for me.