Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Salem Kroger Leaf springs

I own a 98 SK van, front springs are shot and broken and I need to get this puppy fixed soon.

I've contacted craig over at whitefeather (he said he has spring profiles still) but this is been a really slow process.

my thoughts are to use a jeep CJ leaf (44") my springs are about 42" from what I can tell, they're flat now so hard to get accurate measurement.

Closest place that'll make me springs is 200 miles away, so having something I can just order when I need/break would be awesome.

If I go this route, couldn't I eat up that extra length by changing my shackle ?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20171112-062551.jpg   SmartSelectImage_2017-11-12-08-05-53.jpg   SmartSelectImage_2017-11-12-08-06-17.jpg   SmartSelectImage_2017-11-12-08-06-34.jpg  

purplepeopleeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

You'll be miles ahead in ride and handling if you reconvert it to U-Joint's setup.

S/K leafs were too short, and the reverse-shackle setup is less than ideal.

U-joints setup will allow better tuned springs that won't transmit as much shock, and you wont get as much shudder when taking curves over rough pavement. Plus, you'd gain some much needed stiffening at the crumple zone. Blows my mind that they got away with welding suspension brackets to that area....
Old 11-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Almost $4 grand for his kit, I'd be better off sending my van down the road kicking rocks and buying one already converted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You'll be miles ahead in ride and handling if you reconvert it to U-Joint's setup.

S/K leafs were too short, and the reverse-shackle setup is less than ideal.

U-joints setup will allow better tuned springs that won't transmit as much shock, and you wont get as much shudder when taking curves over rough pavement. Plus, you'd gain some much needed stiffening at the crumple zone. Blows my mind that they got away with welding suspension brackets to that area....
Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

$4K is for a complete conversion, you will only need springs and hangers. Maybe A few other minor things. I would give U-joint a call before you rule it out. I am sure they have improved an SK conversion before.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

I have a blip in with them, we shall see what he comes up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve View Post
$4K is for a complete conversion, you will only need springs and hangers. Maybe A few other minor things. I would give U-joint a call before you rule it out. I am sure they have improved an SK conversion before.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #6

IT will probably be 4-5k. That’s what I was quoted for my 97 SK. It’s more than just springs and hangers.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #7

Yeah, I'm thinking ALOT needs to be changed after looking at their kit 😐

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
IT will probably be 4-5k. That’s what I was quoted for my 97 SK. It’s more than just springs and hangers.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeopleeater View Post
I own a 98 SK van, front springs are shot and broken and I need to get this puppy fixed soon.

I've contacted craig over at whitefeather (he said he has spring profiles still) but this is been a really slow process.

my thoughts are to use a jeep CJ leaf (44") my springs are about 42" from what I can tell, they're flat now so hard to get accurate measurement.

Closest place that'll make me springs is 200 miles away, so having something I can just order when I need/break would be awesome.

If I go this route, couldn't I eat up that extra length by changing my shackle ?
ANy luck on this mod/repair. I contacted WhiteFeather too. Craig said there's an easy fix that any mechanic can do, but after a month, many emails and phone messages ... I still have no information.

Thanks,
Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote