Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #31

The hardest thing with any of the new styling is that it's very much a departure from the van styling we have been used to since we were born. American Vans and Trucks are very consistent and all have a somewhat tough, utilitarian look that we know and love. You can dress em up and down and they always look great.

But the Transits and Sprinters are growing on me. I have been thinking about test driving one just for kicks. And like MG pointed out, the Transit steps out and it drives like a car. That's the part of the experience I have not had yet. In really like the look of the low top with a penthouse, smooth vehicle right there.

Once MG get's a dual control arm coil over with 33" tires going.......

Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post
Funny, I had been looking at so many pics of rigs with much larger diameter tires and wondering if those would dramatically affect speedometer/odometer accuracy. The older e-series units were adjustable?
Absolutely. When I regeared my rig from 3.73 gears to 4.56 all I had to do was take it to the local Ford dealer. They hooked it to their computer and a few minutes later my speedometer/odometer was corrected.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #33

MG do you have any ideas on reinforcing the rear door latch on the E Series Fords?

I have seen the external pad lock type of things but they may draw more attention to the van.
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDan View Post
MG do you have any ideas on reinforcing the rear door latch on the E Series Fords?

I have seen the external pad lock type of things but they may draw more attention to the van.
I've thought about making a steel insert (vs the factory plastic) but I haven't gotten very far with it yet. Something I'll definitely explore once my van is done.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I've thought about making a steel insert (vs the factory plastic) but I haven't gotten very far with it yet. Something I'll definitely explore once my van is done.
MG, if you decide to produce a steel insert, please put me on the list of interested people. Thanks!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #36

Has anyone tried the JimmiJammer? A reinforced steel plate that goes behind. E-van lock cylinders. http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #37

Ok, this is a poor picture of the pumpkin under a Quigley Transit.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #38
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Well, that's a good question. What were we talking about? I think Flux and I were just pointing out the awkward big knob magnets on the back of the Transits and how Sprinters have a little bit better design here, but I should just say this: My favorite van, without a doubt, is a paid for one. My favorite color? The paid for one.

Scotty, I thought your van was brown...nevermind!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #39

My buddy has had a transit quigley for a year now. We've had it on the beaches of New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island and it is quite nice. Not my cup of tea but it gets a lot better gas mileage then my rig and it drives on the beach fine. Doesn't have much ground clearance and was bottoming out at times but never got stuck.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #40

Quigley Transit

Here are a few pics of our Transit with 225/75r16 BFGs. Penthouse top happening in the spring.

So far we're in love with the Transit. I love driving it, the ecoboost is great and servicing/etc. is not limited to specific dealerships. Even with the Quigley conversion we're getting 15+ mpg in the city and I expect this to improve even further.

With regard to tire size/warranty/etc, I will say the ride - and oddly the noise level - are significantly improved with these 225/75r16 BFGs. the stock Hankooks were beyond harsh. As far as warranty, Quigley will eventually sell the 245/75r16 BFGs along with their 4x4 upgrade so I don't think a reasonable tire size change will be a deal breaker. They already list these tires as an option on their pricing sheet. The timing is listed as "coming soon" and I know they are working with Ford to make this happen.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2579.jpg   IMG_2577.jpg   IMG_2583.jpg  
Joe-SLC is offline   Reply With Quote