Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
brp

Seeking Advice on RIP Kit Install and Tire Fitment.

I am going to be installing an Agile RIP kit on my 2004 E350 Quigley in the next week or so.

I am familiar with all of the basics of suspension system installs, I am just looking for any tips, tricks or suggestions specific to the RIP kit.

I also found a used tire that I would like to I would like to test fit during the install. My plan was to install the tire and wheel, then lower the chassis onto the bumpstop while the spring and shocks are out, crank the wheel lock-to-lock, and confirm I have the clearance needed. Sound about right? My thought was to do this with one side of suspension installed, to simulate one side being compressed and one side articulated.

I'll take some pictures and do a write-up of the install, I have not been able to find one to this point.

Thanks.

brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

What size tires are you wanting to put on? If they are 33" or less you shouldn't have a problem.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
brp

The tire is a 295/75/16, diameter listed as 33.4”. My van has fenders that “flow” into the door steps, so it’s not quite a typical setup for fender clearance.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #4

Aha. Yes some testing could be in order then. 33's cleared easily on my '05 after I installed the RIP kit but I had stock fenders with just some Bushwhacker flares.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
brp

WhitH, the RIP does not drop the bumpstop, correct? If so, you really don't gain any tire clearance, because it can still bottom out.

If I do need to fender trim it should be easy, its all just fiberglass and I can spray paint the exposed edge a cut would create.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

The coils are just slightly taller, or at least the ones I used (MOOG 880S if I remember correctly) which I think are very similar to the ones Agile uses. So there should be a little more clearance, at least when not compressed.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

Garage
Theres a few different "kits" from agile. some include springs (front, rear, possibly both?), some don't. same with steering stabilizer etc. what exactly was included with your kit?

my 03 needed no modifications to install the RIP kit at all. was all install and drive. I replaced all 4 shocks and the front moog springs agile recommended. also made some spacers for the front swaybar to level it out as recommended by agile. nothing changed with my front bumpstops. or at least it didn't back in 2013 when I made these changes.

my van also came with a 285/75/16 spare in the stock location. apparently being an rb vs a eb makes a difference along with what rear receiver (if any) you have, but other than that info, I couldn't explain exactly why there is a difference. hopefully people with that knowledge speak up for ya.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
brp

My kit, which is in en route, comes with sway bar bushings, sway bar drop kit, steering stabilizer, 4 shocks and two coil springs.

I am not getting the rear helper leafs because I have a heavier duty spring than their add a leaf works with.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
You might get a bit of rubbing
running 295 tires, you might have to do minor trimming as mentioned. I’m running 315’s and had to have a bunch of modifications done for front end clearance.
Because the springs that come with the kit or the moog set are a bit taller than stock, you might have to install a small block in the rear under your spring pack to bring it up a bit. I just installed a 1” block under my Deavers after several years without to give my rear end a bit of a lift to compensate.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote