Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #11

Quadvan in Portland does conversions too (uses stock Super Duty parts for the most part). I think it was around $12k for the conversion (I may be off a bit). Two big upsides to doing it in Portland 1) No sale tax here in Oregon; 2) lots of good micro breweries to sample the local faire in while waiting for the conversion.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #12

Our S&K will run closer to $18,000. Over their basic set up, we are adding the 46 gal fuel tank. This is because they have to cut down the stock 35 gal tank to about 29 gallons. I added bush whacker fender flares. Regearing the rear end back to the stock 4.10 so the transmission and speedometer work as stock. 17" wheels with 7,000 pound brakes and Toyo 285/75 17 AT tires. 4" lift instead of 3 1/2". Rear ladder. Re work the limited slip because of the new gearing. Might be more, but that's all I can remember right now.
Sportsmobile has guidelines on mileage for conversion on used vans. I also got the idea that they have converted to the new 2008 Ford chasis improvements and were not really interested in doing anything older than 2008. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
Yeah, Craig is the one who emailed me. He provided lots of info in the first email. He said they recently finished a SMB w/ 37" tires and a 7" lift... Wow!

How do you think your SK conversion (Ford parts) compares to what Guigley or SMB would have done? (i.e. better, not as good, same).... And in relation to what you paid for it? (Craig quoted me $14k for a conversion).

I'm considering a SK conversion over the Quigley now, despite significant geographic differences....
That might be my van he's talking about, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's had more since mine was done last august.

I'll be honest with you, thought I've jeeped pretty hardcore and spent a lot of weekends on trails for the past 15 years, I never was a hardcore 4x4 tech. I was always able to get wherever I wanted with my slightly modified jeep and careful driving methods. So... having said that, I can only go so far on the 'quality' aspect of the comparison. I did look at quigley when I was considering how to upfit my van, but I also live about an hour and a half from S&K, so that was a major factor in my decision. I think there's a lengthy post by me about my whole S&K experience, and my rationalizations.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=272

What I can say:
Haven't had any problems.
Rides nice.
crawled up a rock face about 45 degrees 50+ feet no problem.
clears the fallen trees I need to get over on the trails I go on in the wintertime (main reason I wanted the extra lift/wheelsize)

All in all I've taken the van on the same sort of stuff I used to take my jeep on, and while I've had plenty of 'pucker moments' I haven't broken any shock mounts (jeep) or anything like that.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote